OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Help me with these cool old binoculars please..
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help me with these cool old binoculars please..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasteddie313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me with these cool old binoculars please..
    Posted: September/23/2016 at 17:42
SARD  - Square D Flushing New York
U.S. NAVY BUSHIPS
Mark XLIV Mod. 0 1944

Just like these ones.. http://www.company7.com/library/sard_7x50_mk.html

I saw them at a garage sale and couldn't leave them there.. I cleaned them up and they are in very good shape, with the strap and case all very nice..

They seem a bit milky inside though the lenses are not scratched.. I think this can be fixed.. 

It'd pretty nice that this place is related to swfa.. I have been a customer of theirs multiple times..

I'll get some pics us as soon as I can get them from one place to another.. 

I need to figure out what to do with these binoculars.. Fix them myself or put them in the hands of someone who will.. 
fasteddie313 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasteddie313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2016 at 18:07

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2016 at 18:52
Klamath where are you??
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2016 at 19:54
Well, they sure look nice!  They're worth getting them cleaned for maybe $60....
Visit the Ed Show
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasteddie313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2016 at 21:18
Originally posted by Son of Ed Son of Ed wrote:

Well, they sure look nice!  They're worth getting them cleaned for maybe $60....

That sounds quite reasonable.. 
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2016 at 21:26
PM Bill Cook, he is WJC here.  A retired US Navy Chief Opticalman who likely has serviced some of those binoculars.

As far as my recollection goes SARD made some top military stuff.  Those 7x50 may be garden variety military standard binoculars, but I'll have to look into this further.

Meanwhile fool around here:  http://www.europa.com/~telscope/binotele.htm

Google Simon Spiers flicker site on his binocular collection:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/binoculars/?ytcheck=1, he likely has one of those.

It looks like somebody has been into those at one time.  That may be either a blessing or a curse depending on who it was.  How is the image performance on those?

Some specific information here:  http://www.company7.com/library/sard_7x50_mk.html

Edited by Klamath - September/23/2016 at 21:46
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasteddie313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2016 at 10:25
Originally posted by Klamath Klamath wrote:

It looks like somebody has been into those at one time.  That may be either a blessing or a curse depending on who it was.  How is the image performance on those?

Looking through them if I adjust the eyepieces I can get detail resolution pretty good, like count pine needles 100 yards away.. 

But the image looks milky, white fogish.. The right side is worse than the left.. 

Looking through them backwards it looks as if their is baby powder inside.. 

I have searched a lot of pictures of mold in binoculars and these don't look like that. These show no discernible pattern of internal contaminates, no shapes or patterns growing, just dusty like inside.. 
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2016 at 10:55
OK, those have required cleaning issues.  Send them to Suddarth Optical for an inspect, clean and repair as needed.  Cory Suddarth is another retires US Navy Chief Opticalman who very likely has experience with those.  Those may have internal fungus and some of that crap can permanently etch glass.  Those may just have developed an internal coating of dust and grime over time.

So I see I sent you a duplicate Company 7 link...oops.  That may be a place to send those for cleaning as well.

I'd have never left those sitting at a garage sale either.  As for a connection to SWFA, this thread may be what you get.

By the way if you happen to see a big, fat SARD wide angle 6x42 sitting lonely on a table at a garage sale, don't leave without that one either.

Here is a sale site link that has some SARD binoculars.  Gives you some idea of value.  Most of those 7x50 listed are of an earlier model SARD 7x50.
 http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR4.TRC2.A0.H0.XSARD+binoculars.TRS0&_nkw=SARD+binocula

Welcome to Optics Talk by the way Big Smile

Edited by Klamath - September/24/2016 at 11:10
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasteddie313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2016 at 11:36

Figured them out an cleaned them up..
WJC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2016 at 18:54
Originally posted by Klamath Klamath wrote:

OK, those have required cleaning issues.  Send them to Suddarth Optical for an inspect, clean and repair as needed.  Cory Suddarth is another retires US Navy Chief Opticalman who very likely has experience with those.  Those may have internal fungus and some of that crap can permanently etch glass.  Those may just have developed an internal coating of dust and grime over time.

So I see I sent you a duplicate Company 7 link...oops.  That may be a place to send those for cleaning as well.

I'd have never left those sitting at a garage sale either.  As for a connection to SWFA, this thread may be what you get.

By the way if you happen to see a big, fat SARD wide angle 6x42 sitting lonely on a table at a garage sale, don't leave without that one either.

Here is a sale site link that has some SARD binoculars.  Gives you some idea of value.  Most of those 7x50 listed are of an earlier model SARD 7x50.
 http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR4.TRC2.A0.H0.XSARD+binoculars.TRS0&_nkw=SARD+binocula

Welcome to Optics Talk by the way

Hi Steve et al.:

Cory didn’t stay in long enough to make Chief. Even so, he is more qualified as an optical technician than most of the chiefs I ever knew, most of whom ever-anxious to buzz through their shops swiftly, so they could get back to the “goat locker.” I was an optical-geek who considered himself an “optical technician temporarily assigned to the navy.” Cory was away from optics for years and the most important contribution I ever made to the craft was getting his deadwood butt back into it, when I coaxed him out to work at Captain’s Nautical Supplies. Attached is a photo of us at Captain’s. Cory’s dad, Jack, is credited with about 45 patents for the Coburn Optical Company. He always seemed proud of trying to fill his dad’s shoes. From my perspective, he has more than done so.

Possibly a little late to consider sending it away for cleaning, the following is from the upcoming (ever closer) Bino Book:

“ ... The most common reason binoculars were brought in for repair was for collimation issues; the user was seeing a double image. The second was to have moisture or fungus removed from the prisms and/or lenses. To “just clean” a binocular, as the customer usually requested, might cost four or five times as much as a collimation job alone. Why?

“Alignment requires an objective lens, and/or at least one prism, to be re-centered on the optical axis, which, on some models, can be accomplished without even going inside. To thoroughly clean the instrument, however, requires all optical elements, with the possible exception of the ocular system, to be removed.

“Then, after cleaning, each prism must be carefully re-seated on the prism shelf at a 90–degree angle to the facing prism and be re-strapped, glued, or both. Only after tending to this for each telescope is the instrument ready to begin the alignment procedure. All this time, the repair meter has been ticking away and the more expensive waterproof, nitrogen-filled, instrument begins to look more economical.”

When I left Captain’s in 2008, our shop rate was $120 an hour, with a one-hour minimum (I did many freebies that other shops wouldn’t have done). So, if wanting a superlative repair job done on the bino, I wouldn’t be looking for a cut-rate price. Also from the book:

“Misunderstanding the importance of precise alignment, on binoculars that are to be used by others, and knowing how to address it isn’t limited to amateurs. Some professionals at major importing companies, just know how to “get it in the box,” giving little thought to the whys of the procedures. Often, that bit of information can be valuable.

“Fellow shipmate and former Navy Opticalman, Cory Suddarth, was with me the day I took a call from a fellow who had been a repair manager at his company for more than 10 years. The essence of his call went something like this:

‘I don’t understand it; I’ll get the binocular collimated, but when I move one of the barrels, it’s off again!’

“This fellow was a conscientious technician and merchant. But, not understanding the basics of 3-axis collimation and following the ever-so-flawed techniques described in certain literature and on the Internet, he had been selling “conditional alignment” as “collimation” to his repair customers all those years, and it was this experience that caused me to first suggest:

“There’s a big difference between 20 years of experience and one year of experience 20 times.”

The biggest problem when trying to collimate the bino? All but one of the instructions on the Internet are WRONG! and applies to “Conditional Alignment” only. When the time comes—if wanted—I will send instructions for true 3-axis collimation. If conditional alignment is all that is wanted, I will only say: the tech or Fasteddie313 must learn to STARE to keep spatial accommodation from taking over.

Big Smile

Edited by WJC - September/26/2016 at 10:41
“Water, water everywhere nor any drop to drink.” — Samuel Taylor Coleridge
“Social media everywhere but not a thought to think.” — me

Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2016 at 11:28
Eddie,

Since you have gotten to the disassembly phase, I will direct you to Google Play Books.  Once there search Field and Depot Maintenance Manual.  There are a bunch, but the one I have is TM 9-1240-259-35.  That thing is a treasure trove of information on service and maintenance of military optics.  Best part is...it's free.  Worst part it might encourage some to go too far.  Just a FYI as I have no idea how inclined you may or may not be to dealing with this sort of thing.  Good luck  Big Smile
Steve

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic