OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Target
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Optical Quality First

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2016 at 19:07
Bigredhemi, offending you was certainly not my intent. I know absolutely nothing about your level of expertise or what you own beyond what you originally posted.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2016 at 21:16
That having been said, the visual acuity of a normal healthy human eye is right under 1 arc minute, i.e. 3 inch target at 300 yards should be right around the limit of what you can see with your eye under favorable conditions.

Unless the target is very dimply lit and has very low contrast, you should have no problem seeing it with a 12x scope.  If you can't something is wrong either with the scope or with the eye.

ILya
bigredhemi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredhemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2016 at 00:49
Yeah - I'm with Ted here.

I guess I should have said I can't see a 3" target at 300 yards WELL ENOUGH for any type of precision shooting at 12x with desired results. I can ring a 12" plate with it a 12x, but that's apples to oranges. Implying that just being able to see that target at that range and precisely placing one shot next to another are one in the same is well... let me put it this way, I was pointing out how horridly inadequate 12x is for any type of precision shooting at even 100 yards. Your unwarranted implications aren't appreciated especially as a MODERATOR.

SJS - Go check some of the other forums where the precision shooters hang out and give some of the manufacturers a call and talk to them. Heck - there are even a lot of videos. Also check out AccurateShooter.com, 6mmbr.com, and Benchrest.com for some good useful info.
Pass The Ammo...
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2016 at 02:13
Bigredhemi, here is the exact phrase you said: "If I place a 3" Shoot-N-C target at 300 yards I can't even see it with a 12x."

That is what I was addressing.  I am not a mind reader.  Unless you say what you mean, I havn't a foggiest idea what you really mean.  Interpreting that phrase as anything else is a bit of a stretch.

Now your latest pearl of wisdom: "let me put it this way, I was pointing out how horridly inadequate 12x is for any type of precision shooting at even 100 yards" is certifiable BS.  12x is inadequate for formal benchrest.  Calling it inadequate for all precision shooting is just flat out wrong.

Beyond that, I wasn't trying to set the guy up to win benchrest competition.  He asked for the best optical quality with a 12x or greater scope within reach of $600.  If he asked for how to set up for formal benchrest competitions, my recommendation would be different.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2016 at 09:49

ILya, maybe this will make it easier:

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
bigredhemi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredhemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2016 at 11:23
I needed a good laugh today. I don't have much time left on this good earth and wasting it on something this petty is... well a waste.

Is there a Moderator that moderates the Monitors?  Wink
Pass The Ammo...
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2016 at 11:42
Dan has been riding in Sherman's way back machine again.    Super

Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2016 at 13:13
Originally posted by bigredhemi bigredhemi wrote:

I needed a good laugh today. I don't have much time left on this good earth and wasting it on something this petty is... well a waste.

Is there a Moderator that moderates the Monitors?  Wink

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic