OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Whats the next step up from a Razor HD 16-48x65 ?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Whats the next step up from a Razor HD 16-48x65 ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billiam13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats the next step up from a Razor HD 16-48x65 ?
    Posted: October/02/2016 at 19:26
I ordered a new Razor HD scope last year and never got a chance to play with it. I got it for spotting down at the badlands. I got it out today, and think I want something a little better. or clearer. My question to you guys with a lot of experience is whats the next step up in clarity? DO I have to step all the way up to the Kowa or Swarovski to get noticeably better clarity? Is there anything better than Vortex in the 1400 to 1500 range, or should I just bite the bullet and pony up the money for the Kowa or swarovski?  Thanks for the info.....
muleymaddness View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muleymaddness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2016 at 15:06

Assuming you want to stay in the 65mm range, possibly a used Zeiss, the older model Meopta (though I don't know if it's a step up or not), the new model Razor, and then it's Swaro time.

I'm in the same boat.  I have the new release of the Razor right now.

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2016 at 16:01
As mentioned, you'd have to spend lots more money to get a noticeable upgrade in that 65mm class of spotters.  If you want a real optical upgrade you'll need 80-85mm class glass such as a Meopta S2, which is world class stuff but lots more moola.  
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2016 at 13:16
The new Razor HD 22-48x65 that just came out is a fair bit better than the old one.  I have been playing with it and the new eyepiece makes a difference.  I do not think it is quite as good as the Leica Televid I tested earlier at the highest magnification, but it is up there.

If you are not happy with your current spotter, I would consider the new one.

ILya
billiam13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billiam13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2016 at 21:19
Koshkin
 I will take your advice and at least upgrade to the NEW razor. I have two questions for you as well. 
1. Do you think there is enough difference to warrant upgrading to the Televid for the money? 
2. would you upgrade to the 85mm razor over the 65mm since the 85 is not that much more money over the 65?

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2016 at 09:47
1) That is a personal decision. For me, probably not, but if I was a birder, perhaps.

2) if you do not to hump up and down the hill with it, I would go with the larger model. For my purposes, I like the slightly lighter weight and smaller size. My range spotter has the 80+ mm objectives.

ILya
billiam13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billiam13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2016 at 14:07
10/4 on that. 
I was able to look at the NEW razor and was pretty impressed. I was also talked into the angled vs the str8 body design as I was told it is "mores versatile".
 As for the 80vs 65mm, Im still undecided.....lol

Thanks again Koshkin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic