OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Base: Alum or Steel? $100, NF,TPS,Leupold,Seekins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Base: Alum or Steel? $100, NF,TPS,Leupold,Seekins

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DenverDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Base: Alum or Steel? $100, NF,TPS,Leupold,Seekins
    Posted: November/01/2016 at 16:44
I am looking to upgrade the base on my savage model 10.  The factory base won't mount square to the receiver, and I would like to get a base with more elevation.  I use the rifle for long range precision shooting.  Its a light caliber: 6.5 Creed.  I have Seekins low Rings (Aluminum) and a Burris XTR II 4-20x50 34mm tube scope. Would like to spend less than $100.  All the bases I am looking at have 20 moa of elevation.   

Big question is aluminum vs. Steel?  Of course alum is lighter weight, and steel is stronger.  Does the strength/rigidity of the steel make a big difference? Help accuracy?

I would like the base to be low profile.  The Savage factory base is beefy and my optic sits a little higher than I would like. The models I am considering are:

1) Leupold MK4 (Steel) $70- a big selling point on this base is that it accepts the std 6-48 screws and 8-40 screws.  If it turns out that my base is not the problem (base wont mount square to reciever) and I need to have my receiver redrilled I imagine this will be a handy feature.   This base is also the lowest priced steel base I have found.  Dont know much about Leupolds reputation regarding bases.  Not a "top of the line" name like Badger, NF, and Seekins.

2) TPS-XP (Steel) model # 20302 - retails for $90, I found a blem for $73- appears to be the lowest profile of the options listed, based on the photos.

3) Nightforce Standard Duty (Aluminum) $57

4) Seekins Precision (Aluminum) $95

5) Nightforce 1-Piece (Steel) $116 - a little over my budget.  If its a substantial upgrade from the above models I would consider it.

Any advice or insight folks can offer would be great.  Thanks

Thanks,
Dave
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2016 at 17:00
I have ran both steel and aluminum and they both work great.  I would not worry about steel being stronger, for the intended use aluminum is more than strong enough.  Nice thing about aluminum is you never have to worry about it rusting.

Also check out EGW HD bases.  They are low and relatively low in price compared to other brands. Good quality as well.  

All the brands you listed are great.  I am partial to Seekins, Glen makes great stuff. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2016 at 17:26
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I have ran both steel and aluminum and they both work great.  I would not worry about steel being stronger, for the intended use aluminum is more than strong enough.  Nice thing about aluminum is you never have to worry about it rusting.

Also check out EGW HD bases.  They are low and relatively low in price compared to other brands. Good quality as well.  

All the brands you listed are great.  I am partial to Seekins, Glen makes great stuff. 

I concur 100% on all points. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
DenverDave View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DenverDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2016 at 11:43
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I believe EWG makes the rails that come stock on Savage rifles.  I have not had the best luck with those, specifically the holes being out of alignment.  Not sure if EWG or Savage is to blame for that but at anyrate I think I will avoid that particular brand.

I am impressed with my Seekins rings.  The base has a recoil lug.  I think thats the way I will go.  Now the question is, wait till black friday deals and hopefully grab one at a discount or pull the trigger on the one I have found for $95 shipped?

Thanks for your help guys.
Thanks,
Dave

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2016 at 16:46
Good deal. Let us know how you make out. 
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2016 at 21:24
I once got a Badger rail sent to me by mistake and gauged it with dial calipers next to a Seekins. While it was well within mounting tolerances, the Seekins was perfect along its entire length and weighed less. Aluminum won't rust and the alloys they use are more than strong enough.
Reaction time is a factor...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2016 at 03:25
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

I once got a Badger rail sent to me by mistake and gauged it with dial calipers next to a Seekins. While it was well within mounting tolerances, the Seekins was perfect along its entire length and weighed less. Aluminum won't rust and the alloys they use are more than strong enough.

I'm going all Seekins from here on out. I can't rationalize using anything else. 
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2016 at 07:32
Seekins! 👍🏼
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic