OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Diamondback HP best in its price range?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kykamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Diamondback HP best in its price range?
    Posted: November/09/2016 at 22:23
Just as the title says. I want to buy my dad a new scope for hunting and wanted to get a budget scope like a fullfield, diamondback or redfield revolution, but for the extra dollars for the diamondback HP it seems the glass upgrade makes it a great deal/value. So i want to check with you guys and see if you'd recommend that scope or if there's a better value in that price range?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2016 at 22:52
I have the 2-8 and for the $200ish i paid for it, i think it is excellent.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
kykamo View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kykamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2016 at 23:38
how is the 2-8 for dusk/dawn work? does the glass quality make up for the smaller objective? or if u need to see well at dusk/dawn, get a 40mm objective?
oldfortyfive View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfortyfive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2016 at 08:23
I have a couple of them and as you noted they are hard to beat for the money. Our 200yd target berm is back in the woods and often pretty dark. Can't say I've noticed much difference between that and my Leupold 2-7's.
kykamo View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kykamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2016 at 09:20
Anyone else wanna share an opinion?
G Fretwell View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Fretwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2016 at 16:21
Not sure if you've already decided, but I think the Diamondback HP is a great choice. I'm a rifle scope reviewer and have reviewed a lot of different scopes. Vortex makes some really nice products and their unconditional lifetime warranty is one of the best. 

I'd get the Vortex 4-16x42 Diamondback HP Rifle Scope. It looks like SWFA sales it for $329.25.

Why? In my review of the scope (using a .308) I looked to see if the scope would allow me to shoot at long range (500+ yards) while actually hunting, not just at the range (which it did very well at)

For the price, it never fogged up, which was great. My buddy had a nice Leupold VX-1 and his even fogged up which was surprising cause Leupold makes some solid scopes.

Anyways, it did great. Dropped a whitetail at around 450 yards (not quite over the 500, but beggars can't be choosers on where a deer shows up and it was close enough to 500).  I don't really like shooting at that range, I'm more comfortable at 150 to 200 yards when hunting. But it got the job done. Really nice scope.

Only issue I had was when I was in the brush, the scope had a hard time focusing. 

**** LINK to competitor sales****   Reviews are welcome.  Links to sales of items also for sale by SWFA are NOT ALLOWED.

Hope you find what you're looking for. You'll be happy with the Diamondback HP.

Edited by Kickboxer - September/24/2019 at 06:43
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2016 at 18:31
Not sure where you are, but if you hunt in moderate to heavy cover the 2-7's wider field of view will pay off with quicker acquisition on close or moving deer. 2 -7 or 2-10 are both very forgiving on eye placement and are my favorite hunting scopes.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
kykamo View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kykamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2016 at 07:46
Thanks guys. Thats the confirmation i was looking for
Newbweatherby View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbweatherby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2017 at 00:00
This is probably late ,typical of me lol,but i spent the better part of a year looking at the new redfields prostaff5 ,Burris fullfied lls bushnell elite 3200s leoupold vx2s and to my eyes the hp was better and had a great fov ,now there is a new kid in town iam really want to look at the Athlon lines are supposed to be really really good optically and mechanicaly.
sophiloren View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sophiloren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2019 at 07:23
I don't know whether anyone need this reply anymore or not. But as a diamondback hp user I can say it really worth the bucks you paid for.

******* You  violated one of the primary rules of Optics Talk by posting linkages to sales of products through other organizations that are competitors to SWFA... the host of this Forum.  Any future violation of the rules will result in suspension.********

Edited by Kickboxer - September/23/2019 at 07:37
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic