OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Premier Heritage Tactical with cracked lens

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Premier Heritage Tactical with cracked lens
    Posted: November/21/2016 at 12:18
Came across a listing for a Premier Heritage Tactical 3-15x50 at a dirt cheap price but with a catch.

Seller describes the scope as:  "The tube and turret have scratches and dings but the glass on the Objective and the occular are fine. Inside the scope the inner ocular lens had a crack on the edge. It is only visible on 3x power.... it is not visible from 4 - 15x power. This defect does not affect tracking or performance of the glass."

I contacted Armament Technology to see if they could repair this and was told they couldn't.

Seller is a solid individual, but, like me, isn't sure what the implications of this crack could mean.  Just something that is irritating at 3x or a boat anchor waiting to happen.

Thoughts?  Any other options to get this repaired?
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2016 at 12:22
Did you talk to Paul? I really don't see why it can't be repaired.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2016 at 12:23
Paul at Armament Technology?

I talked to a guy by the name of Trevor.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2016 at 00:19
Reached out to Armament Tech via e-mail with pictures, so hopefully hear back soon.

Also talked with L&K Scope repair out of Tulsa.  Short version of the conversation was stay away from the scope.  His biggest challenge was finding the replacement lens, but if he did, the repair was doable but could get pricey for the lens and the labor.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2016 at 10:59
I have one of the early 3-15s, still love it. If it is dirt cheap, I would give it a serious consideration.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2016 at 11:07
Where my head is at.  Connected with the folks at Armament Tech, so we'll see.

Seller is asking $1400 for it with the cracked lens, which I think is high but we'll see what the estimate comes in at.
dsr View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2016 at 14:28
It is a ticking time bomb and the price should reflect that fact.

If it is repairable then I would assume costs of repair deduction from the used market price. Ie. Asking price $1400, repair costs $900, my fairmarket offer $500.   If not repairable then just about $100 or what you are willing to throw away. If and when if blows and it is not repairable then it is worth less than a working bubble wrapped Tasco.

Just my opinion.

Regards
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2016 at 16:15
$1400 is not a dirt cheap price for that scope - in that condition.

I wouldn't touch it for anything over $1k.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2016 at 18:05
Correct. That is not dirt cheap in that condition. Also, consider how heavy they are. I had one...many thing I liked about it but then got the LT version (a A-condition demo for $1725) and it was everything the other was except the weight and the quick-adjust turrets.

Mostly, I'd be worried about that crack eventually leading to an unsealed interior and perma-fogging.
Reaction time is a factor...
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2016 at 14:52
Ended up passing on this.  Armament Tech replied back that they couldn't repair the scope because they didn't have any replacement parts.  According to the owner, it was a Limited Edition scope with serial number 000058.  I'm not familiar with Premier scopes outside of their reputation and can't find much on a Limited Edition series.
RMC51 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RMC51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2016 at 09:11
Originally posted by Marine24 Marine24 wrote:

Reached out to Armament Tech via e-mail with pictures, so hopefully hear back soon.

Also talked with L&K Scope repair out of Tulsa.  Short version of the conversation was stay away from the scope.  His biggest challenge was finding the replacement lens, but if he did, the repair was doable but could get pricey for the lens and the labor.

Eldridge, Missouri

RMC51
Florida Keys
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic