OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss.....Swaro.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss.....Swaro.
    Posted: November/23/2016 at 19:42
Is it just me or do the new Zeiss models not catch your eyes?

Is the Z6 Swaro really worth the additional money over a Z3? Roughly same obj, power and BRX reticle?

You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2016 at 20:12
Yes.

Yes. But that is a personal observation.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2016 at 20:17
I'm assuming just a clearer image, brighter in colors?

I'm pretty disappointed in the new Zeiss lineup. Hope they come back around

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2016 at 20:36
It doesn't really translate in "optical quality".  Z6 adjustments are more accurate, the scope itself is "heavier duty".  The glass in the 3 and the 6, I believe, is pretty much the same.  Difference is in mechanics.  I don't know that I can claim I've seen a difference in optics between the 3, 5, and 6.  To me, the adjustment precision, for my purposes, is worth the cost differential.  I spent some time before purchasing doing some experimentation, but did not keep the notes I took.  I'm going off memory from a while back.  

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2016 at 20:47
So I'm assuming you used yours more than just seasonal hunting. I do like the fact that you said it is more accurate adjustment wise and heavier duty. Part of the reason I bought the Elite 6500 when it first came out. If I went cheaper to say the 700-1000 range what would you believe to be a competitor in that range?

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2016 at 21:14
We've just been talking generalities here… what power range, what use?  My Z6i is on a Champlin custom 378 Weatherby Magnum… pure hunting gun, but I've spent some time and ammo testing it out.  I determined, when I chose the 1-6, that I would most likely never use that rifle beyond 500 yards.  I evaluated a number of other scopes, some in firing, some by "holding".  I finaled on the Z6i because it lived up to every claim.  Truly a work of superior craftsmanship.  That rifle/scope combo is one I KNOW I can depend on.  The rifle is capable of MUCH longer range, but, as stated before, I decided upon a 500 yard range… if I went with a high mag scope, I expect I could easily push to 1000 yards.  I could get there with this one, but it would be a stretch.

LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2016 at 21:32
I like the 6x erector with the 3-18x50. Not only is that a versatile range, it also aids as a spotting scope. I don't need the Illuminated reticle because I still have damn good eyesight. This is going on the Sako 85 Varmint I plan on purchasing here in the next few months so it'll be my hunting rig/centerpiece. I have plans for another shooter setup for target/long range in the next year or two since I sold the Sendero. I'd be comfortable at 500 or so.

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2016 at 09:49
The field of view with a z6 trumps a z3 by a lot.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2016 at 11:39
Z3, Z5 and Z6 all have different optical systems.  While all three are very good, Z6 is better than the other two.  Z3 and Z5 are close in terms of image quality.

With Zeiss, the new V8 scopes are looking pretty interesting, but they are very expensive.

As far as $700-$1000 range goes, if you are looking for a hunting scopes, my sorta default answer has become Razor HD LH, assuming you are not looking for an illuminated reticle.  

Is it as good as the Swaro optically?  It is up there in terms of resolution, but not quite there in terms of contrast.  It is close though.  Z6 does have a notably wider FOV.  Where the Razor HD LH really does well is with eyepiece design.  It is extremely easy to get behind.

Ultimately, in the $1K and under hunting riflescope world, depending on what you want, the options usually boil down to Razor HD LH, Meopta and Leupold VX-6.  The choice between these three comes down to personal preferences and what specifically you are looking for.

ILya
Whale View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2017 at 18:41
Ilya,
As far as $700-$1000 range goes, how does the Leica ER5 fit in? Thanks.
Charles
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic