OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Handgun Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for a Super Redhawk 454 Casull

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jda3297 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for a Super Redhawk 454 Casull
    Posted: July/20/2004 at 23:29

I am trying to find a good scope for a Ruger Super Redhawk 454 Casull.  I am interested in the Leopold M8 4x and the Burris 1.5-4x with a Posi-Lock.  I am new to handguns with scopes and handgun hunting but not to handgun shooting.  Any advice would be very helpful.  I want to make the right choice the first try.

Thanks

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2004 at 14:36
The most common reason for putting a scope on a handgun is to gain a faster better sight picture.  The lower the power the better the eye relief and the wider the field of view will be.  Leupold is tops in both.  The 2x20 is the easiest pistol scope to use and the most enjoyable.  Higher magnification and zoom powers don't mix well on a handgun for hunting.  If you have to get more power go with the 4x Leupold but I really think the 2x20 Leupold is the way to go.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2004 at 20:56

I've got a Super Redhawk .454 I've been shooting for about a year.  I put a Burris 2X on it and that worked fine, except when shooting a distances of more than 50 yds.(with a good rest, the .454 shoots great out to 100yds).  I took it off and put on a Burris 2X7.  Anything over 5X is pretty useless but the 2 to 4 range is great.  You can get by fine with a 2X but if you're going to be shooting at any distance I think you'll wish you had a little more.  I wouldn't buy anything but a Burris or Leupold.  The recoil is pretty terrific and I shoot reduced loads most of the time.  I load 335gr Cast Performance bullets to about 1250 fps.  This load will drop a 300 lb hog quicker than anything I've ever seen, including a .300 Win Mag. 

When you put your new scope on, tighten it down after every couple of shots.  It takes some time to get it tight enough.  Then have fun

jda3297 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jda3297 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2004 at 01:01

Thanks for the advice.  I went ahead and got a Leupold M8 4x for my cassull.  Will be mounting it this week and will probably shoot it this weekend.  I am really looking forward to it.  I plan to take it slow considering I have not shot a handgun this powerful before thanks again for the thoughts.

I'll keep in mind about tightening it down every couple of shots at first.

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2004 at 15:14

nice choice

cory

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2004 at 15:21

I've heard form others that Bushnell 2-6x32 Elite 3200 pistol scoopes are very durable as well.

Ilya

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2004 at 15:29

yes, i like the 3200 2-6x32. thats whats going to be on my 500 S&W mag. in the april 2004 issue of shooting times, and the short review the editor gives the scope is good, its in the arcticle about the Ruger 44 mag bisley hunter.

cory

WileyCat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WileyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2005 at 22:01
The Elite 3200 is virtually bulletproof- good choice.
WileyCat
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2005 at 21:24

The biggest problem with mounting either a 2 or 4 on a Ruger is there rings, which do not allow the scope to be placed more to the back such that the eyepiece is over the hammer. This pushes the balance back so that the revolver is not as front end heavy. Sadly after about 3000 rds. of full power Casuall loads my 2x Leo cracked the inards. Boxed it up, and in 2 weeks got notice from leo about a package in the mail. No rebuild, a brand new, click stop, current model even in a new box with a wiping rag. That's  GOOD LUCK to anyone shooting a 500 on any power above 4. I currently use a 4x on a Tauras raging hornet, because of no recoil and have used Leo 4's on T/C in 221 Fireball and .223. (As a side note the S&W 460 is not the fastest revolver cartridge, I am suprized S&W didn't check this out first, the Raging hornet with 35 gr. easily shoots 2600 fps.) 

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2005 at 10:30
The problem with the Bushnell is field of view; down to 4 feet at 6X and 100yds.  That's pitiful.  Burris is almost twice that, and is more than double at 2X.  I'd stay away from the Bushnells.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic