OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New barrel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New barrel
    Posted: December/11/2016 at 19:02
So i have a savage 12 action and i want to buy a new barrel for it, but i cant decide what caliber.   I am thinging 22-250 ackley. 243 ackley or 6.5 creed. I am really torn between the three. I will likely buy a bartlein barrel savage varmint and have it fluted.

Whats the pros and cons of the calibers i listed?

With the 22-250 i would likely get a 7 or 8 twist barrel and shoot 80 or 90 grain bullets with it.

Edited by supertool73 - December/11/2016 at 19:07
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2016 at 19:31
I opted for a rebarrel to 22-250 and it is in the works and should be ready about the middle of next month.  In consideration was also the 243AI.  The main reason I went with the 22-250 was that I have my perfect set of dies for it and I wouldn't have to spend another couple of hundred dollars on 243AI dies.

So mine is going to have a Pac-Nor 3 groove 1 in 8 stainless 5 straight flutes finished at 24" with a .255" neck.  The rebarrel is of a 260 Rem action so I seated a 75 gr Scirrocco II where the boat tail started at the neck/shoulder junction for them to throat to.  That will also work with the 70 gr TSX if accuracy turns out to be a problem.

On the boxes of SSII's and TSX's on both it does say that a 1 in 8 or faster twist is recommended.  I really like the terminal performance I am getting with the 130 gr SSII in my 6.5 rem mag so that is my main focus.

Bought a Bell & Carlson Medalist Ultra-light stock for it and want to keep it light for a walking varminter

Should do a bang up job on hogs and small deer also  Big Grin
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2016 at 19:34
I have 22-250 dies and 200 brand new lapua brass. So i am also considering just sticking with the 22-250

So will the 3 groove lst a lot longer than 4 groove?
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2016 at 19:42
I don't know about lasting longer.

My last rebarrel was a 3 groove Pac-Nor in 375 Ruger and it was phenomenal in break in, clean up and accuracy.  Also either Krieger or Lilja, think it was Lilja, wrote up somewhere that a 3 groove in 6mm did very well in competition.  Will have to look for that to verify and it was a couple of years ago I saw that.

Also bought 100 new Lapua brass and it looks fantastic.  Very uniform in neck thickness

Problem I'm having and maybe you can help;  my new Forster Co-Ax press will not accept the shell holder extension in the jaws which makes it hard to seat bullets deep enough. 

I'll figure it out but if you know clue me in
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2016 at 19:49
I beleive that was lilja as i recall that article as well. I am no help on your press, i own a hornady. I think SVT has a forester like yours.

I guess i am also considering just going .223. Barrel would last for a long time. But having a .22 cal that would shoot an 80 grain 3000 fps+ would just be cool.

sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2016 at 20:17
Yeah I looked at the 223 for a 223AI but the smaller case head took it out of consideration

What bolt face do you have?

Gonna work with my favorite powder RL17 to see if I can make that 75 gr SSII go about 3100 fps with good accuracy.  Should be a hog/coyote stomper!

A 243AI is in my future also.  Think Rancid (IIRC) built one lately.  More for the 100 gr bullet category though
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2016 at 21:04
I am running a 22-250 with a 1-8 twist and the 80 gr Amax.  Pushing over 3200 fps out of a 20 inch barrel.  

I tried RL 17 and could get faster speeds, but the pressure spikes in temp swings is ridiculous.  Settled on H4350.  

When I need a new barrel, I will stick with the regular 22-250 but probably go to a gain twist to get to a final 1-7.5 twist.  

I shot 5 animals this year with the 22-250.  Three deer and two antelope.  Ranging from 203 yards out to 386 yards.  Love this setup.  Record kill so far is a prairie dog at 1115 yards.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2016 at 21:06
Oh, and if you want to shoot 90 gr, get a longer barrel and a 1-7 twist or you may not stabilize it.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2016 at 21:38
With savage you can easily change the bolt face to the smaller .223. Right now the barrel thats on it is a .243

Thats good info Andrew, maybe i will stick with the revular 22-250. Then i wont have to buy new dies. I was thinking 22 inch barrel, but may consider 20 now. I like shorter so its not so long with suppressor.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2016 at 08:00
Originally posted by sakomato sakomato wrote:

Problem I'm having and maybe you can help;  my new Forster Co-Ax press will not accept the shell holder extension in the jaws which makes it hard to seat bullets deep enough. 

I'll figure it out but if you know clue me in

Not sure I follow but are you talking about adding something in the jaws instead of just using the jaws?  I've never had issues with seating.  It did take a while to get my dies set up correctly though.  There was a youtube video that I watched versus the instructions from Forster that really helped. 

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
nralifer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nralifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2017 at 05:51
Supertool, what did you finally settle on? Sorry to come to this thread a little late. Just wanted to make a comment about barrel lands. I read somewhere that an odd number of lands is theoretically more accurate than an even number when firing lead core bullets since the compression stresses as the bullet engages the lands are not directly opposite each other as you would get with an even number of lands. Also 5R rifling is increasing in popularity since the that style of rifling is associated with less copper fouling an is easier to clean what fouling happens as there are no 90 degree corners with the grooves.Seems to me that a 3 land barrel also would have less friction since you don't have the additional surface area of the additional land or lands as the case may be.  Following that logic a 3R rifling would theoretically be have the least friction, the least fouling and distribute the stress forces in a more ideal fashion, but i have not found a barrel maker that does this kind of rifling. 5R rifling for me has worked very well, but I shoot all copper bullets.
It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed. TR
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2017 at 07:46
I missed this thread the first time through.

On 243AI, yes, love it, but mine is throwing 105-115s at modest speeds, but very nice ballistics. And it bucks the wind nicely.

Add to that it loads like a 308 and I have tons of experience with that.

Mine is a 5R, easy as pie to clean.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2017 at 09:27
I still have not decided.  I did buy a Tikka CTR in 6.5 creed, so that put my savage barrel on hold for a bit.  This is just to hard of a decision. 

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2017 at 10:40
I'd opt for a fast twist Creed given the exceptional new bullet options recently introduced.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic