OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Questions SFP FFP MOA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CD82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Questions SFP FFP MOA
    Posted: December/16/2016 at 00:17

so I have a Savage FCP-SR in .308 and im looking at getting a Vortex Viper scope.. 

one of them is  the Viper PST in FFP 4-16x50mm in moa reticle  yes I can afford it but  should I? 

the other one is its younger sister or lower concept scope which is the SFP Viper HS-T in 4-16x44mm same moa reticle

now I realize with the FFP at your diff scope powers your reticle size increases

and with the SFP the reticle stays same size throughout all powers of the scope if I am correct if not please correct me.. 

longest shot I will be taking is 300 yards and under  now someday there might be a chance I get to try out to 1000 yards but who knows...   would the  SFP scope be okay for 300 yards  what adjustments will I need to do being its not true unless its at max power?  using the moa reticle system

and is it all possible  to maybe using the SFP scope making a long distance shot say over 300 to 1000 with a sfp scope with the moa reticle and range finder for sure knowing my range?  and what type of adjustments would be needed ?? 

hunting an some gong ringing is all ill be doing so im still debating on spending the 800$plus or 500$ plus even though I could afford the Viper PST!!

sorry im new to some of this stuff  and im looking more in the vortex line of scopes!

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2016 at 00:34
It is absolutely possible to use both SFP and FFP type scopes for any and all shooting you might do.  It is just a matter of familiarity with the system.  I can make a pretty good argument that for longer distance shooting FFP is usually a better choice and an easier system to learn.  However, it really comes down to what you want to do.

Now, in practical terms, aside from SFP vs FFP, the 4-16x50 is the better scope between the two, so that should be a part of your decision process.

ILya
J View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2016 at 12:54
You are correct that the reticle will "grow/shrink" as you change magnification on an FFP scope.  This allows the subtensions in the reticle (hash-marks) to always be accurate no matter the magnification level.

You can make a 300 or 1000 yard shot with either system (FFP or SFP).  Especially with a tactical style scope.... the turrets are always in MOA or MIL and don't rely on the magnification level for adjustment.

The biggest help for FFP is being able to spot and MEASURE your misses, no matter the distance or magnification.  

So your ballistic calculator said you should be 3.2 mils high at 600yds (made up numbers).  You shoot and find that you miss on elevation.  Your calculator was wrong (GASP!).  With an FFP scope you look at your reticle and measure where the splash hit, vs your aiming point.  You can directly translate that into your dope or turret adjustments.  You can do the same with SFP, but need to be at the reference magnification or able to do the math to scale it to the reference magnification.

That said, on all of my competition guns I run FFP, all of my hunting guns run SFP (sans one for special use).  Around here I just never get the time to utilize the targeting system of a tactical FFP scope when I see a deer or elk.  With the time given, its almost always Kentucky windage/elevation on hunting shots.

When I finally get up to MT for an elk hunt, I'll be bringing an FFP scope equipped rifle.  There you have longer shots and typically more time.

J View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2016 at 12:56
Also.... food for thought... get a great FFP scope for somewhere between the two vortex options you posted in price:  

https://swfa.com/catalog/product/view/id/113813/

I've won several matches with that scope.  One right after I replaced a spare Schmidt & Bender with that unit (was selling the spare S&B, but using it on another rifle until it sold).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic