OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Schmidt Bender low light ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Schmidt Bender low light ?
    Posted: December/16/2016 at 08:42

Hey guys! I picked up a used Schmidt and Bender Klassic 3-12x42 #L7 illuminated reticle yesterday. My first S&B and the craftsmanship is great, like I have read about. I like most everything about it but I took it hunting yesterday afternoon and glassed deer till it was really dark. I had my 6.5 rifle with a Leica ER 2.5-10X42 #1 with me.

I have looked at one S&B 2.5-10X56 a while back and it is a 20 year old scope. It looked great but at dusk it was kind of hazy looking compared to a Zeiss. Well my new S&B is the same way. Comparing it to my Leica yesterday evening, I could see deer with both but the Leica was clearer looking/sharper but I could not make out the deer any better(if that makes any sense). I went between them both a lot and couldn't say one was any better than the other but the Klassik looked kind of hazy looking. Is this normal in S&B's ?

I got them back out about 8:30 last night and was looking at my bow target and my daughters play set in my backyard about 75 yrds. And in the dark, little bit of moonlight the S&B was sharper and nicer by a reasonable margin. It was not hazy or cloudy looking. So it only seemed to appear that way at last light(??).

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2016 at 08:58
Were you looking west last night, into failing light?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2016 at 09:17
Acutally east
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2016 at 11:10
So no flare from a setting sun.

Someone will chime in with experience with those scopes. I have seen something similar, but only due to optic having issue with the incoming light. From your description, this isn't and incident light issue.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
J View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2016 at 13:07
Can't comment on the Klassic, but my PMIIs look super clear even in low light.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2016 at 13:40
Stray light control.  You do not have to look directly into the light to get some scatter.

ILya
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2016 at 08:40

Well, I mounted the S&B on my 6.5x55 and have hunted one morning and one evening. I have not seen the flare again. I really like the scope a lot. I guess that first day I looked at it, was just the right conditions. Plus, I guess it's not fair to compare two scopes when one is mounted to a rifle and the other is loose/hand held.

Pretty pleased with it so far !

cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2016 at 08:49

Not really trying to keep this one alive but I did figure it out.

I did not mention at the beginning of this post that I wear glasses(very old ones at that). I was hunting yesterday evening in the same stand. Something with my head position and glasses has to do with the haze at dusk. Since the S&B is mounted on the gun now, I can move my head slightly and it clears up perfectly.

I will say though, after my hunt last night that this S&B is one of the best scopes I have ever used.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2016 at 20:05
I once had a S&B 6x… agree that it was one of the best scopes I've ever used.  A friend wanted it really badly, so I sold it to him… have never really forgiven myself.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2016 at 20:19
Schmidt & Bender scopes are awesome! I have a 1.5-6X42 Zenith with #9 Flashdot reticle and a 4X36 Klassik with #8 reticle. I won't be parting with either during my lifetime.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2016 at 20:28
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Schmidt & Bender scopes are awesome! I have a 1.5-6X42 Zenith with #9 Flashdot reticle and a 4X36 Klassik with #8 reticle. I won't be parting with either during my lifetime.

Wise choice...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic