OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

VX-3i vs Monarch 3 vs Grand Slam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolverine3759 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VX-3i vs Monarch 3 vs Grand Slam
    Posted: December/31/2016 at 18:29
Hello, I'm in need of a scope for my AR-15.    Budget is under $350. 
Planned uses are hunting, casual target shooting and farm defense; from 0-300yards.
I want a variable power with a low end under 2.5 magnification and 32mm or larger objective.
I want covered turrets, with a regular style reticle.  

Online, I've found the Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8x36, Weaver Grand Slam 2-8x36, and the Nikon MONARCH 3 2-8X32, all three are between $300 and 350.  I don't have any experience with these models, so I would love any input on which one is the best.  Of course, i am welcome to any suggestions. 

Weaver Grand Slam

Weaver Grand Slam

Weaver Grand Slam

wolverine3759 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolverine3759 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2016 at 18:34
Links to the three scopes

http://www.competitor.com/weaver-grand-slam-2-8x36-riflescope.html

https://www.amazon.com/Leupold-VX-3i-2-5-8x36mm-Matte-Duplex/dp/B018YKYGSE/ref=sr_1_4?s=sports-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1482544035&sr=1-4&keywords=leupold+vx3i

http://www.competitor.com/nikon-monarch-3-2-8x32-bdc.html

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolverine3759 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2016 at 18:38
https://swfa.com/optics/browse/riflescopes/nikon-2-8x32-monarch-3-riflescope.html

https://swfa.com/optics/browse/riflescopes/weaver-2-8x36-grand-slam-rifle-scope.html
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2016 at 19:02
I recently purchased my 3rd Nikon Monarch. A 2-8 x 32. Awesome in all sorts of light and shooting conditions.  I haven't seen yet a Weaver that i liked. 
Leopold will have the best warranty and resale value.  
Snack_Attack View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snack_Attack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2017 at 17:05
I have the .223 bdc version on the monarch. Optically and mechanically, its quite decent. It has a notably generous eye box, and I have no complaints on clarity. It's a bdc, so one wouldn't typically mess with the turrets a lot, but I checked repeatability anyway. It returned to zero every time with no issue. Tracking seemed fair, but I didn't do a very exhaustive test. It's worth mentioning mine is up for sale, but I'm kind of in a sale pending spot with it.
We've become a nation of wolves ruled by sheep, owned by swine, over fed, and put to sleep.

-Otep
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolverine3759 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2017 at 19:30
Thank you for the input on the Nikons.  Do you know where they are made?
What about the Weaver?  Still made in Japan?

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snack_Attack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2017 at 20:14
Philippines for the Nikons I believe. They used to be made in japan, but moved to trim costs. I would think they may still source some components from there though. Not sure on the weaver. Leupold is "made" in oregon. Really it's more like assembled in oregon using parts sourced from asia, or maybe europe for the high end models.
We've become a nation of wolves ruled by sheep, owned by swine, over fed, and put to sleep.

-Otep
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2017 at 22:09
All gold ring leupold parts with exception of glass is made in oregan.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snack_Attack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2017 at 22:50
I think it may be more than glass alone. This is purely anecdotal, but I know a guy who worked a at a cylinder factory here in MS. He told me he gets a big discount on Leupold scopes since they supply a part for them. I'm guessing it's the tubes or something along those lines.

-Otep
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2017 at 23:55
Do u youtube search for leupold factory tour. In it they state every part with exception of glass for gold ring products is produced by them in their shop.

I guess they could lie and just be saying that. But why?
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2017 at 14:56
Redfield 2-7x33 Revolution Rifle Scope Kit

Redfield 2-7x33 Revolution Rifle Scope Kit    $219.95

RED67085, SS30HSSALT

RED67085KIT
http://swfa.com/optics/browse/riflescopes/redfield-2-7x33-revolution-rifle-scope-kit.html
I have one of these on my rifle and really like it.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Ghostman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghostman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2017 at 17:37
The Redfield is basically the equivalent of a Leupold VX-1. IMO having owned one it's nowhere as good as a VX-3i, Grand Slam or Monarch 3
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolverine3759 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2017 at 19:11
I looked at the Nikon at my local gun store, it looked clear and felt good, although I decided i would appreciate a lens bigger than 32mm for larger FOV, also it felt a bit heavy for its size. 
VX-3i  looked great, but was $100 more expensive.  ($399)

So, since i found a good deal online, I ended up ordering the Weaver!

I'll post in here later once I gather first impressions and run the scope though a few tests.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolverine3759 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2017 at 19:21
I have not looked at this particular Weaver in person before ordering.  But, I've read enough good reviews about the Grand Slam line (Still made in Japan according to Weaver customer service) that I'm not worried, especially since I found it online for $250. 

I'll try to remember and post a review next week.

Whitefire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitefire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2017 at 20:56
I think you'll be happy with the grand slam. Which reticle?
Wf
May His face shine upon you and give you peace.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2017 at 21:21
Originally posted by wolverine3759 wolverine3759 wrote:

I looked at the Nikon at my local gun store, it looked clear and felt good, although I decided i would appreciate a lens bigger than 32mm for larger FOV.

Objective size actually has no affect on FOV. Magnification, eye relief, optical design affect fov

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snack_Attack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2017 at 11:59
Theyre probably not lying, just don't bother to make a point of where they get their rough materials.

-Otep
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolverine3759 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2017 at 19:08
Received the scope yesterday, mounted it today.  First impressions are good.   Says "Made in Japan" right on the bottom.    
I choose the plain duplex reticle. 
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2017 at 16:02
I have 2 Nikon Monarchs. One is a UCC model and the other is a 50MM BDC model. Both are bright and clear. 

I just picked up a brand new VX-1 for my 336, and its just a fantastic scope. I don't know what Leupold does, but they are just always fantastic to look through. I don't know how it does in the woods yet, but it has their Multicoat4 lens coating, which is what the VX3's had. 

It's lighter than a comparable Nikon, and all the research I did for a scope for the 336 said this was probably one of the best options. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic