OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Any 336 owners out there?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any 336 owners out there?
    Posted: January/09/2017 at 15:55
I have had a bur up my butt to get one for a long time. Finally found a really nice 1971 model in 30-30 that was unmolested, so I got it. 

Added a Leupold 2-7x33 VX-1 to it. Can't wait to shoot it with some leverevolution. I see ammo is 14 a box at walmart for just regular 150gr SP Winchester. 

Can't beat that. 
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2017 at 16:02
Lockjaw, i am kidding, don't be offended. 

I much prefer 336's grandmother, the model 1893. With a light  octagon or heavy round barrel, 26" long, and venier tang sight, chambered in 32-40, shooting cast bullets made by myself, i can load and shoot for less than $20/100 and hit a 6" gong off-hand at 200 yards all day long. 

So yeah, i can beat that. Easily. 

But i agree with you. Marlins rock. 
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2017 at 16:55
I looked at a Centennial model that had a brass looking receiver and octagon barrel, but they wanted to much for it. 

magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2017 at 11:07

Lockjaw,

No flies on the 336.  I have the exact same set up on both my .35 Rem. and .30-30 Win. 336's.  Leupold VX-1 with heavy duplex.  Go sight in and commence to shoot stuff with it.

Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2017 at 14:51
What ammo do you shoot out of it? I didn't get the heavy duplex. 

I got some leverevolution and some cheapie winchester. I think my local walmart has some ammo for like 7 bucks, at least that is what my phone says. I am going to see tonight. 

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2017 at 15:33
The lever evolution ammo is sweet.  We shoot it in 45-70, 30-30, .357, .44 and .45.  It really changes the range of  lever guns. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2017 at 21:20
I got some Winchester gray box 150 grain at walmart for 13.77 a box. 

I got some Leverevolution too. Once I get it sighted in with cheap stuff, then the good stuff.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2017 at 21:33
My poi went up 8" at 100 yards with leverevolution vs flat nose
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2017 at 21:52
How do you like the 2-7 on the Marlin? I have a Glenfield 30A and couldn't decide on a low power scope or new aperture sights.  Also what mount did you go with?
Stamp collecting since 2015
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2017 at 06:28
The VX1 is really sweet and its light. It has the multicoat 4 coatings now, so... its bright. I had to go with what they had in stock at academy so I have 2 piece redfield bases and Leupold Rifleman rings. The bases were only 4 bucks on sale. The rings were about 20. 

I did a lot of looking at marlin pages for scope recommendations, and the 2x7x33 Leupold was the most recommended scope. Its only 199

It sits low, the guy folded the rear sight down. 

The other recommendation was no scope and a skinner rear sight. I thought about that option also, but at 50 years old, and I can't see well I thought a scope was a smarter idea. 

Most everyone thought a 3x9x40 was to much. The other options mentioned was a Nikon and Weaver. Some liked fixed power. But in the 2x7 range, the leupold is the lightest, and everyone said it didn't upset the natural balance of the gun. 

They also thought the see through mounts were dumb. I looked at a gun with them, and did not like them. I can also cock hammer without the side hammer extention.
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2017 at 07:17
Mounted both my 2-7x33's in Weaver Rings (just high enough to clear the folded rear sight) on a Warne one piece base.  Scope can be quickly removed and open sights are usable.  The Leupy is light, bright and small with good eye relief.  I shoot 170g FP's and have the components to load up Leverevolution 160g's.  Gonna work up a load with that stuff this year.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2017 at 12:19
Thanks.  I think I will wait for a Leupold sale and get a scope.
Stamp collecting since 2015
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2017 at 14:09
I love the old 336.  And all the Marlins....

Visit the Ed Show
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2017 at 16:52
I shot it today, sighted in dead on at 35 yards with the Leverevolution ammo. It liked the gray box cheapo winchesters though. Of course its hard to shoot in an indoor range when you got dueling AR's on either side of you busting out rounds. 

It shot those about 2 inches low, and the Hornady shot about 2.5 inches higher. 

The Leupolds are 199 all over the place. Hard to beat that price if you ask me. It is an impressive scope, but I have to admit every leupold I have ever looked through has been sweet. 

Kind of makes me want to try a VX3i and see what its about. That was in contention for one of my guns until I got a smoking deal on a Zeiss Duralyt. If I told you what I had in it, you would be shocked. 

urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2017 at 08:14
When I was old enough to be allowed a deer rifle, I asked for a .270. There was a 336 in .30/30 under the tree instead. I still have it 30+ years later. I killed a couple truck loads of whitetails with it. I have tried every common optic or sight combination except a red dot. Mine wears a peep on the receiver and a fiber optic at the end of the barrel. I like it better than the scopes. It is my carrying around while scouting gun.

It is important to put the bullet on something substantial, but not too substantial with the .30/30. You need to break him down some rather than relying on velocity and shock. I like the 170gr and aiming for bone.

Edited to add to be sure to thoroughly test any new load for cycling. Those 336 will jam up hard on something it doesn't like.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2017 at 11:47
Originally posted by Lockjaw Lockjaw wrote:

but I have to admit every leupold I have ever looked through has been sweet. 

Kind of makes me want to try a VX3i and see what its about. That was in contention for one of my guns until I got a smoking deal on a Zeiss Duralyt. If I told you what I had in it, you would be shocked. 

You should try the VX-6.  They are niiiice. 

Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2017 at 15:04
They are proud of those VX6's. They hold their value though. You never see a Leupold selling for cheap. I managed one though one time. I got a used VXll 3x9x50 gloss for 200. I think the store thought it was banged up, I took it home and cleaned it up and it was nearly flawless. It didn't have the click adjustments though, just the kind that are like infinite. Great scope. I traded it in here, got more than I paid on trade and got a Monarch 3 4-16X50 BDC, which is a really nice optic. 

Mine cycled the Leverevolution fine. I read something about the follower causing an issue, but..... so far it works. 

I looked at getting a peep, but I can't see worth a flip, so a scope is just better for me. I could probably do a ghost ring, but I would want tritium in it too. And on front site for low light. 

urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2017 at 17:17
I've been legally blind (uncorrected) since 3rd grade. I literally can't see past my nose without help. And now I've got the usual over-the-hill vision woes on top of that. 

The thing about a peep is you only really have to be able to see the front sight. That's just how it works. I'm not trying to sell you on a peep. It's just that if it would be your preference, there's no reason to steer clear of them for a VX-1. One is about as good as the other except for carrying. Only thing as good as a peep for carrying might be a micro red dot.
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2017 at 03:29
I have a tough time with my AR15 with a rear iron site. Even at arms length a pistol is challenging for me without my glasses, and really I only wear them when hunting so I can see my phone. 

Without them I see fine distance wise, its just within about my face to 3 feet out, not good. 
hatton mann View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatton mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2017 at 14:41
I've had good luck w/ my 336-30/30. I hunt w/ 170's and a full boat of W748.
Old Bushnell Banner (Jap) straight 2-1/2X up top. Trigger job.
An old timer friend has used it a couple times he calls it ; 'that lucky rifle'......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic