OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best scope for under $2000?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SavageHunter11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best scope for under $2000?
    Posted: January/13/2017 at 08:00
I think the title says it all but I am on the hunt for a new ELR scope. Been shooting my Creedmoor out to 1000 yards for about 4 years now. Just ordered a .338 Lapua to start reaching out further and I'm looking for glass to put on top that I could use to work myself up to hit at a mile in a couple years. I am hoping to keep it under $2000 for the scope but if a, les say, a recently $2700 scope was marked down and regularly sell for around $2200 (Sig I'm not saying I would not stretch. My current list of what I am looking at is:

Athlon Cronus 4.5-29
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22
Bushnell DMR II 3.5-21
Burris XTR II 5-25
IOR Valadia 6-24
SWFA SS 5-20
Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27
Primary Arms Platinum 6-30
Sig Sauer Tango 6 6-30 (Local shop has it for $2199)
Steiner T5Xi 5-25 
Athlon Ares 4.5-27 

I know there are scopes I am not even thinking of and I figured you guys could add to the list or, if there is something I should stop considering, take scopes off the list to narrow it down. 
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2017 at 08:25
You will see gen 1 and gen 2 Kahles K624i discounted into your range, don't even think about it! No, no, no.

Were I in your shoes, the vortex would be near the top of my list.

What's on the present CM?

Shooting prone, or from a bench?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
SavageHunter11 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SavageHunter11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2017 at 08:43
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

You will see gen 1 and gen 2 Kahles K624i discounted into your range, don't even think about it! No, no, no.

Were I in your shoes, the vortex would be near the top of my list.

What's on the present CM?

Shooting prone, or from a bench?

You're telling me to stay away from Kahles correct? Just curious why the Razor is so heavily suggested. Back when the Gen 1 were out, everyone was all about the NXS and the Razor was second rate. Did they really step there game up that much from Gen 1 to 2? I currently have a Vortex PST 6-24 on top of it....it's alright but not my favorite scope. I shoot both from a bench and prone just depends what range (or pasture) I am at shooting. 
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2017 at 09:38

razor II, heavy as elephant but excellent in every other way.

I have shot the DMR and NXS, both excellent scopes but the  razor II is a notch above them I think.

alll 3 should track perfect, but the razor has better features and better glass.

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2017 at 09:57
Others will disagree but I'd go with a SWFA SS 5-20 and spend the rest on good ammo or reloading supplies.  Shooting $5 bills ain't cheap.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2017 at 10:02
The SS5-20 is indeed a good scope, and there is much truth in the "spend it on ammo" axiom.

The gen2 vortex is superior in almost every way to the gen1. Glass is a huge step up from your PST, as is eye box.

I would also consider the vortex 3-18, I just like the view at 18X much more, easier to get good sight picture.

And you are correct, I recommend you stay far, far away from Kahles.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SavageHunter11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2017 at 10:13
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Others will disagree but I'd go with a SWFA SS 5-20 and spend the rest on good ammo or reloading supplies.  Shooting $5 bills ain't cheap.

If I did not reload I would have never stepped up to a magnum cartridge, those store prices are ridiculous. I cringe at anything over $1 a shot.  
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SavageHunter11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2017 at 10:14
Originally posted by stork23raz stork23raz wrote:

I have shot the DMR and NXS, both excellent scopes but the  razor II is a notch above them I think.

alll 3 should track perfect, but the razor has better features and better glass.

If I could ever find the scope for $2000 or less I'd probably buy it but it's just a little more than I want to spend.
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2017 at 10:46
Originally posted by SavageHunter11 SavageHunter11 wrote:

Originally posted by stork23raz stork23raz wrote:

If I could ever find the scope for $2000 or less I'd probably buy it but it's just a little more than I want to spend.

i have the 3-18x50 gen ii, i paid $1870(sale) for mine, my friend has the 4.5-27x56 he paid 2000(used) for his. Watch for sales, sample list, and forum sales

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2017 at 11:01
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SavageHunter11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2017 at 11:06
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

https://samplelist.com/catalog/product/view/id/116907/

One on the samplelist now...

Why have I never heard of this sight...welp there goes my tax return lol. Sig Tango 6 6-30 for good price too. 
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2017 at 11:36

That site is owned by SWFA, just their demo, trade ins, and closeouts get sold there.

The icon on the top right of all pages

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic