OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Binoculars on sale need advise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsthntn247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Binoculars on sale need advise
    Posted: January/16/2017 at 12:02
My LGS has allot of binoculars with 2" of dust setting on the boxes because if it aint Leupold, Swarovski, or Nikon, it doesn't sale around here.  He's willing to make a deal on some that he's had in inventory for  a while so I picked a few out and he gave me a price on them.  Which ones would you go with?  Wanting to stay with an 8x.

Weaver Grand Slam 8.5x43 for 150$.  Looked really clear and made in Japan

Minox 8x32 Alt-Br  250$  They had several other configurations of Minox that were covered in dust but I've seen the reviews on several places about the 8x32's.  Might could get a good deal on another pair of Minox, which would be the best to see if they have?

Brunton Epoch 8.5x43 400$
gunut View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2017 at 13:14
none of those prices are anything special......
gunut
WJC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2017 at 13:50
You should also know Nikon rebrands a good many of their models and Leupold doesn't make binos at all. Buy, the product and the warranty, not the name.
“Water, water everywhere nor any drop to drink.” — Samuel Taylor Coleridge
“Social media everywhere but not a thought to think.” — me

jsthntn247 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsthntn247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2017 at 14:01
I know nothing about binoculars but am apt on scopes. From what I can tell, all those are at least 50% off. However I don't know if they are old and out of date. Manufactures are constantly changing production factories and keeping the same names it's hard to tell if your getting 7 year old made in Germany or this years made in China. He might come down drastically on Meopta as well.
gunut View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2017 at 17:48
the Minox is an older model by quite a bit....the newer ones use HD glass and are 8x33 and they have already gone threw a couple body modifications....so he could probably do better than the $250....More like $200 OTD..Less if not a sealed package [demo]......Minox has very good optics but some don't care for them....I have a few and like them ...
gunut
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsthntn247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2017 at 19:57
Thanks gun nut. That's what I was looking for. This particular store has everything priced higher than anywhere else I've seen. He usually gets what he ask so I can't blame him. The weavers looked really good to my eyes. Guess I'll just go there at dusk one day and see which one looks the best in the pasture behind the store.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsthntn247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2017 at 20:01
He also has hawk binoculars and no one buys them. Is there a particular model that stands out with Hawk that I should be on the look out for?
gunut View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2017 at 23:34
If it were me Id try to make a deal on the Minox...he most likely has had them for years if they are indeed NEW..and they will have better build quality...and great optics...compared to any you have listed...I have one of the newer 8x33 minox but it is the less expensive open bridge model....the one he has is a step up in model but an older style...so hard to compare....you will find that with a mid size binocular you are more likely to have it with you than with one of the larger units...

BTW the only Hawk model that might be better than the Minox would be the sapphire model...
gunut
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2017 at 07:12
Another vote for the Minox if you can get a better price.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsthntn247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2017 at 08:06
Does anyone have a clue how old those Minox are?  From what I can tell, looks like they might be 10 years old or more.  I couldn't find anything on them.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2017 at 14:24
I think optics have gotten significantly better over time. Especially over the last ten years. Might be a good idea to look at some newer binos. And the sample list has some very good deals for the money.

https://samplelist.com/browse?cat=12152
Troubador View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Troubador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2017 at 10:58
Originally posted by jsthntn247 jsthntn247 wrote:

He also has hawk binoculars and no one buys them. Is there a particular model that stands out with Hawk that I should be on the look out for?

The resident Hawke expert on Bird Forum recommends the Sapphire ED top hinge model.

Lee
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsthntn247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2017 at 17:33
Went back in today and looked at a few more.   He's only willing to deal on the Minox.

Minox bl br 8x42.     225$
Minox HG. 8.5x43.   575$
                    10x.       629$

NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2017 at 17:45

My advice is for you to go outside with those you are thinking of, and give

them a try.  You and your eyes are the most important.  Do this at dusk, so

you can compare brightness, and that is important with a hunting binocular.

Have the store show you good, better and best, so you understand.

Good luck, there are lots of binoculars out there.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsthntn247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2017 at 18:41
I know ND, seems like there are allot of binoculars with different names on the outside but identical internals and 100's of dollars of difference. I did go out side with them and could not see anything any noticeable difference in the 2 8x binoculars and couldn't justify the 350$ difference.
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2017 at 19:00

Originally posted by jsthntn247 jsthntn247 wrote:

I know ND, seems like there are allot of binoculars with different names on the outside but identical internals and 100's of dollars of difference. I did go out side with them and could not see anything any noticeable difference in the 2 8x binoculars and couldn't justify the 350$ difference.

Your first post mentioned Brunton.  They are kaput, they are no longer in the optics

business.  So, don't go there, no wty.  I like to stay with the mainline companies, they offer

the best optics and offer service.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic