OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What Tactical Scope would be best?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote docnblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Tactical Scope would be best?
    Posted: February/09/2017 at 14:13
I am just getting started in  tactical shooting.  I work for a local Sheriffs Office and we can qualify with a LR rifle.  What I have is not the best but here is what I have.  It is a DPMS LR .308 AR10 with a 16" barrel. I am using a 168 BTHP match grade round. My price range for a scope right now is $500-$800.  I have looked at SFP and FFP scopes and know the difference for each ones use, but It all has now gotten confusing to me.   Some say SFP is okay and others say FFP only.  The range needed, best I can tell, will be around 600-800 meters but probably even shorter.  Have looked at 1-8x24 scopes, 1-6x24 scopes and 3-9x scopes and other variables of this range.  Not sure what I really should buy.  I want something that will hold up to the hard knocks of the .308 cal.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for all opinions in advance.Hammer
docnblue
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2017 at 08:08
Welcome to the OT docnblue. Good to have another LEO here.
Considering your budget, I have 3 recommendations:
First is the SWFA SS 3-9x42. It has HD glass with a FFP Mil Quad reticle. It's a rock solid scope (I have the older version) with repeatable settings. There is no parallax adjustment to worry about if you need to make rapid range changes, and makes a great DM rifle scope.
Second is the SWFA SS 3-15x42 Tactical scope. It has exposed turrets, a FFP Mil-Quad reticle, .1 Mil adjustment, and side parallax adjustment. This is another solid scope (I have this scope on a AR-10 SASS) that will easily make your range requirement.
Third is the SWFA SS 1-6x24 Tactical, it has HD glass with a unique Mil reticle that is great for close in to medium ranges, and is another great DM scope with an illuminated reticle. While I don't have this scope, it is on my wish list.
While a 1-6x scope is not ideal for 600 to 800yd work, I don't know of any police snipers who have taken a shot on a suspect at that distance. 300yds is about the limit that most PD snipers train for or are authorized to take, and I don't think any have been made over 100yds. Now your SO may require the ability to make a 600 to 800yd shot to qualify, and if that's the case, I would recommend the SS 3-15X42, but for your rifle and most circumstances the 1-6 or 3-9 would probably be the best choice.
Remember that these scopes are in your budget, and there are better scopes out there, but dollar for dollar you can't beat the SWFA SS line of scopes.

Edited by BeltFed - February/10/2017 at 08:13
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2017 at 09:03
I was going to say almost exactly the same thing.  I have the SS1-4, 3-9, and 3-15; my rifle set up for tasks similar to yours (rock solid 0-300 dope, range ready dope out to 600) wears a 3-9SS with an offset red dot.  I do have a 16" 308 and it wears a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 which I like very much -but is a bit beyond your budget. In truth, if the SS3-9 had an illuminated reticle, it would ride atop my 308 shorty.

On the 3-9 and 3-15, I prefer the glass and turrets of the 3-9.  The 3-15 is perfectly serviceable, I just don't like the turret feel quite as much, and don't like the tiny allen-wrench-in-multiple-spots reset.  At 600 yards, maybe even 800, I don't find 9X too little.  Over the years I have progressively wandered lower into my magnification ranges, and have shot better for it.

On the 1-4 or 1-6 (I do not have the SS1-6 but do have the gen2 vortex 1-6 and very much like it), they will do fine for the up close stuff, but you'll want more on the range on qual day.

The trick to all this, and you probably know it already, is meticulous notes and rock solid dope with your rifle, your scope, your ammo, and your atmospheric conditions.  If you don't have a range book, I'd get one, and keep it up-to-date and accurate as hell.  Nothing will help your precision shooting more than taking note of every environmental factor and using that data for every squeeze of the trigger. (The mantra of shooting often is indeed a good one, but throwing lead will help with mechanics - if done right; however, yours is a task far more precise, you need notes and data and a high degree of discipline. Get a range book!)

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2017 at 14:10

I'd recommend http://www.stormtactical.com for a data book.

"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
docnblue View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote docnblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2017 at 14:39
BeltFed, Rancid Coolaid and Steelbenz
Thanks so much for your input, all of you have cleared up  many of my concerns that I have had.  I do hope to save up enough money to upgrade my scope at a later time. I assume that I should stick with the FFP on the scope for better accuracy with my shots?  If I can afford a bolt action rifle what would be good options for a purchase? I have looked at several and one of my favorites has been the Remington 700. What do ya'll have to say.  Thanks again
docnblue
docnblue View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote docnblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2017 at 14:55
Forgot to ask, have any of you had dealings with using any scopes from "Primary Arms"?
docnblue
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2017 at 19:42
I would be very comfortable with the SS 3-9x42 Milquad reticle mil based turrets.  I would also be comfortable using SWFA's AR mount until I could afford a La Rue or BOBRO mount that is quick detachable.
https://swfa.com/mounts-rings-and-bases/swfa-s-s-a-l-t-30mm-scope-mount.html

There is a big difference between demonstrating proficiency with a rifle and being the designated marksman but I understand where you are coming from as a retired LE.

I have a 1-4 accupoint with red post on one rifle and like it really well they now make some other models and while I do not own this I believe it would be an excellent tactical optic. I have owned several of their 5-20 green mil dot but I really prefer the red post for anything under 200 yds which is where you should  be working probably 80 to 100 yds most of the time.

https://swfa.com/optics/browse/riflescopes/trijicon-2-5-12-5x42-accupoint-30mm-rifle-scope-2.html

Trijicon 2.5-12.5x42 AccuPoint 30mm Rifle Scope 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2017 at 19:43
http://www.opticstalk.com/uploads/1566/1-4X_Accupoint_LT_719.JPG

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2017 at 21:06
Each of those SWFA scopes have a lot to recommend them. One thing I've liked about the 1-6 on ARs is the cheek weld on non-adjustable stocks is great. However, the 3-9 has the most to offer if you don't need illum and plenty of mag. It's also the lightest.
Reaction time is a factor...
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2017 at 21:16
If you are stretching the distance out to 800 yards, a 3-9x42 or 3-15x42 SS scopes that folks here  already recommended are excellent options.

Personally, I would lean toward the 3-9x42 with MilQuad reticle.  It is simple to use, tracks well and matches the LR-308 well.

I have a LR-308 rifle set-up somewhat similarly, but mine currently wears a 10x42 scope with a compact red dot in a 45 degree mount.  That is sort of a "poor man's" 1x/10x setup.

Lastly, many companies offer LEO discounts.  If you find something your really like, but that is a bit outside your price range, call and ask.

ILya

docnblue View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote docnblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2017 at 00:25
urimaginaryfriend, jonoMT, and koshkin,  Thanks for the information.  I really appreciate everyone helping me out with this.  This has helped me to see the pro's and con's of some of the choices that I have been looking at.  Thanks again for all the help.  DavidBig Smile
docnblue
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2017 at 15:26
Police snipers work at 80 to 100 yds usually not over 200 yds.  Military snipers work at very long distances often setting zero at 600 meters and working from there out.  The Savage police sniper rifles which are bolt guns are quite accurate right out of the box. The Remmington R5 guns also seem to do well.  Tikka also makes a tactical bolt gun that would be high on my list. I tend to prefer a Smith Vortex flash suppressor on the rifle both to prevent giving away your position at night and to save your night vision. I definitely prefer a magazine fed rifle.  I had a DPMS 308 which was worked on by White Oak Armory that was exceptional so if you need info on what they may be able to do help  http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - February/11/2017 at 19:01

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic