OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

March 8-80 vs new March 10-60 High Master?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m00n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: March 8-80 vs new March 10-60 High Master?
    Posted: February/09/2017 at 14:18
Looking to weaponize one of these two scopes with a 6.5 Creedmoor for some 1,000+ yd shooting.  Both have 56mm objectives and are in the same price range.  Wondering if the new Super-ED glass outweighs the magnification of the 8-80.  Considering the mirage at high magnification anyway, I'm leaning toward the new 10-60 for image quality over power.  Has anyone had a chance to look through the new March glass and is it that much better than non-Super ED?  Any thoughts or alternative recommendations would be appreciated.
Uncle Lawrence View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Lawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2017 at 12:04
I'm afraid to look at March, USO and the equivalent because I might buy the damn thing. Have you made up your mind yet?
m00n View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m00n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2017 at 15:36
I went ahead and ordered the new 10-60x56mm a while ago.  Might see it in a few weeks.  I have a March 36-55x52mm that I really like on a 6ppc and if the new glass and bigger objective is any improvement over that scope, it should be nothing short of amazing. 
m00n View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m00n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2017 at 13:08
Don't know if there's much interest but I finally got the new March 10-60x 56mm scope last month.

Amazing piece of glass.  The optical quality is dazzling - seems better to my eye than my Zeiss Victory scopes.  The March scopes that I have all have excellent parallax control with no futzing - cross hairs are steady as a rock through the zoom range.

I mated it to a single-shot Cooper 6.5 Creedmoor (26" barrel.)  Used Farrell low rings on a Farrell 10 MOA rail.  Beautifully true mount right off - no adjustments to bore sight and only a couple of clicks of elevation to zero at 100ft. Never had that happen before.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2017 at 13:16

I actually had a chance to shoot with the March 10-60 a few years ago... peaked my interest in March scopes.  I could not believe how crisp and clear it was, even at high powers. 

Hefty critter, it is, but very nice.  Nice rifle.

I got a 3-24x42 and put it on a Winchester Model 70 Laredo 7mmSTW.  It's a pretty fair shooter.

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2017 at 14:33
Very nice, m00n!!! Sorry for the lack of responses, but not many here have trigger time behind March scopes.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
m00n View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m00n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2017 at 15:00
Oh good, I just figured that no one liked me. Really Sad
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2017 at 15:40
Nice setup.

Generally, I take better design over magnification, so in your shoes, I would have gone for the upgraded glass instead of higher magnification as well.

ILya
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2017 at 16:23
Don't think I have even seen a March scope.  Guess I need a real job to be able to afford that.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
m00n View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m00n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2017 at 19:38
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Nice setup.

Generally, I take better design over magnification, so in your shoes, I would have gone for the upgraded glass instead of higher magnification as well.

ILya

I used to think that high magnification scopes with super wide zoom ranges that can focus down to 10m was just so much gimmickry.  Seems like there had to some sacrifice in the optics somewhere, but the March and some of the similar top-shelf scopes I've looked through (S&B, Kahles, Nightforce etc) are for real.  I can accept the weight so the only nit I'd have to pick with the March so far is a fairly narrow eye box at the high magnification end but I guess physics dictates that just comes with the territory too.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2017 at 21:14
all the March scopes I've encountered have a "critical eyebox". 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2017 at 04:33
Great looking setup💥💥💥.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic