OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

swfa scope question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: swfa scope question
    Posted: February/17/2017 at 09:30
Hello..I have a swfa ss 20x42 with the mm adjustment knobs
which I bought from another shooter..Can the knobs be changed
to regular moa adjustments on this scope and get good results
with it/ I hope you all understand what I am asking for..
If this is possible,where can I find the knobs..I am thinking
like maybe 1/8 inch adjustments..I am competeing from 300 to
500 yards..Paper targets with bullseye..NOT steel targets..Thanks
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2017 at 09:48
No, it doesn't work like that.  The MOA adjustments are MOA internal mechanical parts, not just turret markings.

A scope with MOA adjustments will have MOA adjustments regardless of how you mark the turrets.

There is a company that makes tape for the turret that marks custom dope, but that would require you do some thinking and shooting.

It would be simpler and far less error-prone to learn the mil turret.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
runout View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2017 at 09:57
I suppose but it is just a pain in my ass to try to figure all this out at my 70 year old age..lol..hell when I was in school we didn't have any of this mil stuff..    
runout View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2017 at 09:59
wish there was an easier way to do this..any idea to help an old fart?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2017 at 10:08
Unless ammo is free, I would say sell the mil scope and go get a MOA scope.
runout View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2017 at 10:15
thought about that as well..thanks
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2017 at 13:44
Originally posted by runout runout wrote:

I suppose but it is just a pain in my ass to try to figure all this out at my 70 year old age..lol..hell when I was in school we didn't have any of this mil stuff..    

If you are able to multiple by ten and read the reticle, its not difficult to pick up.

Each of those dots on the reticle are specifically spaced apart. The turret click value represents 1/10 clicks. Meaning to jump from one mil to the next mil is 10 clicks.

Using your reticle if you are able to see the target, shoot, then see the impact? Use the reticle as your rule and guide. If you notice the impact didn't hit the intended aiming point, count how many mils off you are with the reticle, holding in the same position.

Matter of fact, here's a great thread on how to properly use a mil/mil scope.
 Sighting in a Mil/Mil Scope

Its not as difficult to use as some antagonist have made it sound. I find it much more useful to rifle scopes with matching turrets rather than mixed solutions. Mil-Dots with MOA adjustments.

Good Luck

Edited by Skylar McMahon - February/17/2017 at 14:32
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2017 at 13:46
You could trade it in to SWFA towards the SS scope you want.

https://samplelist.com/tradein/index/form/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2017 at 14:27
Responding on my phone, BS emoji not on the main screen.

I hear Skylar is a good dude, but if he is really recommending a mil reticle and a MOA turret for simplicity, you should disregard everything he says.

I learned mil/MOA because that is what everything was, mil/mil is superior in every way - especially inside 500 yards.

Skylar, I hope one of us misread that first post, else I will be finding that BS flag and letting fly!
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2017 at 14:35
No, RC you didn't miss read, I didn't complete my sentence. Thanks for calling me on it. I have corrected the error.

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2017 at 15:27
It is annoying when the phone rings in the middle of typing a sentence. Bandito
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2017 at 15:28
Not just that, but I caught myself typing what I was sayng too.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2017 at 15:29
I'd hate to lead a brother astray.

All good.  No BS flag flown.
Yet.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2017 at 15:41
Emphasis on Yet....
runout View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2017 at 15:41
so tell me what click equals..in layman terms..lol
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2017 at 17:03
http:// kentonindustries.com/custom-turrets/swfa

Scopes are either originally made with the internal adjustments based on MOA with either  1/4 moa clicks or 1/8 moa clicks or alternatively they are made with internal adjustments that are MIL based.
In actual use it is a wonderful thing to have the reticle based on the same system as the internal adjustments so having a scope that is Mil Quad or Mil Dot reticle with 1/10 mil cilcks is great in actual use.   For example one can center the crosshair on the target shoot a  hole in the target and use the reticle to measure how high or low how far left or right using the mil based reticle then correcting using the clicks adjusting in mil and now having the next shot strike the target center.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2017 at 19:55
A click is an adjustment in point of impact on target, assuming your marksmanship skills are adequate. On the SS scope with mil adjustments: at 100 yards, 1 click equals 0.1 mils of adjustment, which translates to about 0.36 inches of movement on target. ***I give the inch correction only to demonstrate the concept. In truth, the simplest way to adjust fire is with angular measure rather than inches on target. When shooting at targets of unknown size and/or range, adjustments in inches get very error-prone; whereas adjustments in mils are spot-on regardless.

Trade in your mil/MOA and get mil/mil. It will take a bit of work to figure out, and you will be glad you did.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2017 at 20:49
OR.. MOA/MOA... it's more precise...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2017 at 08:55
Once I started out with Mil/Mil I will never go back to MOA. It's so much easier!
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2017 at 09:32
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

Once I started out with Mil/Mil I will never go back to MOA. It's so much easier!

I agree entirely, but do know shooters that prefer MOA to mil.  They are mostly guys that stick to known distance ranges and fire on targets with grid squares.  If that is your preference, MOA is indeed a bit better.  It is also a finer adjustment, but I don't see the issue there inside 500 yards.  I've seen more than a few shooters chase bullet holes because their adjustments were smaller than the diameter of the bullet, and they were usually expecting one ragged hole from a shooter and gun incapable of such things.

If MOA makes more sense and you know distances and target sizes, get MOA.  If you don't care about inches but do care about hitting the target, I say go for mil.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic