OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

8x binos $500 or so budget

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8x binos $500 or so budget
    Posted: February/26/2017 at 23:49
I'm in need of much advice. I have little experience with binocular spec, prices, etc.

The first use will be for coming classes where target ID, finding targets on UKD ranges, finding hidden objects, and trying to detect sniper hides is needed. They must be fairly robust, after all they will be tossed into my kit and bounce around in a pack most of the time.

I used an old set of Nikon 8x for a similar school a while back so I believe staying at 8 power is good. I do not know which Nikons they were other than an older full size model.

In the interest of trying binos with a reticle, I bought Vortex Viper R/T 8x32, however they do not really fit the bill for this use. They are small and have clear glass, however not that comfortable to hold for glassing things for a while.

I can swing around $500 but could go up or down some, but I don't want to chase the "for only 200 more"' disease.
Water proof, fog proof, shock proof, 8 power, $500, must have good contrast, good color, and decent in low light. I don't want much do I? Since it's my dime I'm not opposed to something used so long as it's completely functional. These will not be a safe queen, rather ones that get wrapped up in camouflage stretch wrap and used. Thoughts?
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2017 at 18:03
https://samplelist.com/catalog/product/view/id/92759/

These are no longer made, but they have the Leupold service and warranty.  These look to be a set I traded in and these are good glass.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

opeagle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2017 at 06:15
I'll check those out as well. I'm curious, what was your opinion of them and what did you trade to?
Whitefire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitefire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2017 at 08:05
A few questions... You mentioned the Nikon binocular, how did it work for you? Did this bino achieve all the criteria you outlined, (including durability) ?
What were the strong and weak points?
If you had to use this Nikon bino would be ok with it or wish for something clearer, sharper, better low light capabilities?
My guess is the Nikon was basic entry or mid entry if it was to be used by whomever and whenever.
If price were no deterrent we'd be in business, however, lets explore these points before proceeding.
Wf
May His face shine upon you and give you peace.
opeagle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2017 at 11:15
Sure, here we go.

The older full size cases Nikons were sold all around. Franlky quite good with my limited time with binoculars. They were crisp and clear glass wise, all mechanical worked good. Since they were on loan to me, for 9 days I treated them carefully. They were not light, but I figured that was part of the full size and the weight didn't matter to me. If I had to guess, they were an old, but top of the line in their time. Frankly they were not used in low light, so I cannot say how they should stack up.

For comparison I'm used to, what I think is pretty good glass. I use a Leoplod MK4, Nightforce SHV 4-14x50, IOR 3.5-18x50, IOR 2.5-10, and Vortex Razor HD 4.5-27 scopes, in no particular order. I took the big Vortex Razor 20-60 spotter and used the 3.5-18 IOR, and the SHV scopes for this class.

Budget is and issue, but so is durability. The Nikon did all I asked. But it's really hard to compare this old, unknown model to what's available today. I hope that helps.

opeagle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2017 at 11:22
I should add, I'm not looking for compact or small models. Mid to slightly large size is preferred as I feel it gives me more to hang onto, and it's easier to get set in and stable with them.
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2017 at 12:39
My favorite in this price range and one of my "go to" models. The view can't be bettered in this price range and I have tried dozens of models.

Frank
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2017 at 12:52
Originally posted by FrankD FrankD wrote:

My favorite in this price range and one of my "go to" models. The view can't be bettered in this price range and I have tried dozens of models.

Problem with the link (space between whack-whack and www)

http://www.opticstalk.com/theron-optics-questa-8x42_topic42036.html

Frank, awesome review BTW!  Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
opeagle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2017 at 15:45
Interesting, but I cannot seem to see where one would purchase those if they wanted.

How's durability?
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2017 at 19:10
Try SWFA!
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
opeagle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2017 at 20:24

Um, I did but must be missing something.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2017 at 11:37
I think Theron is only available directly from the importer, but I could be wrong.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2017 at 19:17
Search "Theron binoculars".  The site that sells them probably would be considered a competitor here, but that search will get you there.  Theron is Greek for hunter.  So just a search for Theron will get you all sorts of stuff you don't need.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

fishermanhunterguy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishermanhunterguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2017 at 17:19
Tract Toric 8x42 sometimes they run 15% off already wholesale prices. I got mine for $550 shipped to my door no tax. Your welcome.
If your not a liberal by 20 you have no heart. If your not a conservative by 30 you have no brain.
opeagle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2017 at 20:00
That's sure a lot of Theron fans, considering all the options. I'll look at them as well as the others.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2017 at 08:46
Originally posted by fishermanhunterguy fishermanhunterguy wrote:

Tract Toric 8x42 sometimes they run 15% off already wholesale prices. I got mine for $550 shipped to my door no tax. Your welcome.

Can't go wrong with the Toric 8x42.  It stacks up very well to the SLC HD, and beats the Conquest Hd, Razor HD, SLCneu, and Gold Ring HD.  
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2017 at 11:41
Thanks to those who posted when I didn't with all the Theron info.

Yes, I did not post a direct link as it would be considered a competitor site and I didn't want to break the forum rules.

Theron is the house brand of Predator Optics. They deal directly with the manufacturers so the cost is less for the level of performance you receive.

I have owned my pair for about a year and a half now. Zero problems in terms of durability and I have dropped them a couple of times.
Frank
opeagle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2017 at 22:34
For the time being, I picked up some used Nikon Monarch 8x42's. I'll play around with these for now and see what I think about them.

I appreciate the advice and I'll continue to poke around with the ones recommended.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic