OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.38 super 1911

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2017 at 20:17
That sucks to say the least!!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2017 at 09:51
The only thing worse than FedEx is UPS.  And USPS.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2017 at 15:33
Well I got it.  I switched the grips right away as I don't like wood and they were thin grips.  Also the safety has to go, it is a cute little bobbed thingy.  I new that would be the case so I already ordered a ambidextrous one and should have it tomorrow or Thursday.  $60 for a Kimber safety and Dan Wesson wanted $250 to $300 to change one on their guns.  Its a five minute part change.  Crazy.

Hopefully run and shoot it for a work break in a few. 

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2017 at 16:51
110 rounds down range, no stoppages or malfunctions.  But two of my ultra awesome Wilson Vickers mags don't hold the slide open on the last round.  That is a bit disappointing considering their claims. 

But the gun itself is off to a good start. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2017 at 18:08
Congrats! Nice looking 1911. And WC will take care of you.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2017 at 18:47
Sweet!!! Excellent
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2017 at 19:05
What the hell is a Vickers Wilson magazine? Why go beyond a 47 magazine which are awesome.

Why improve a thing that doesn't need improving?

Send those back, get the 47d magazines, done.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2017 at 19:26
47d are for the 45

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2017 at 21:11
So...there is that.
Are the vickers the 47d of 9mm?

My experience with non-45 1911s is limited to double stacks, so no wilsons in that; otherwise...

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - March/21/2017 at 21:26
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2017 at 21:34
No there is no 47 equivalent in 9mm that i could find. They have the etm and vickers. In 45 there is the 47, the etm, and the vickers. I chose these as i like the base pad better. If they would have have 47 equivalent i would have bought them as well. I love my 47d's. The followers are metal and i bet i can just tweek the slide stop rest on the mag, but will wait and see what wilson says. I sent them an email today.

Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2017 at 00:06
I had a 1911 (My WC Classic) that from time to time wouldn't lock back on an empty mag. Turned out it was a gun issue and not a mag issue.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2017 at 06:19
Did it lock back on the stock magazine?

Where is your left thumb during the shot?
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2017 at 08:04
Yes stock mag locked back several times. As did the other wilson mag. My thumbs ride ontop the safety

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2017 at 09:41
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

I had a 1911 (My WC Classic) that from time to time wouldn't lock back on an empty mag. Turned out it was a gun issue and not a mag issue.

What was the issue?

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2017 at 12:55
Took them both out shooting last night.  80 more rounds out of the 9mm.  Still on those two mags slide closes.  After shooting them side by side, I need to get a mag well for the 9mm.  I'm looking at a nighthawk custom one with the rounded butt.  Looks real nice.

I have not shot the 45 much lately, forgot how much I love the 1911. 

Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2017 at 15:02
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

What was the issue?
Sorry I don't remember what WC said they had to do to it. It was probably close to ten years ago.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2017 at 15:29
Last night I cleaned it up good and put on some fresh Lucas oil. 

Just got back from shooting another 150 rounds.  Initially I was only putting 5 in each mag and shot each one 3 times and the slide locked back just fine.  Next I loaded them full to 10 rounds and started again.  First mag each all was fine.  Then on one of the mags the next two full mags it did not lock back.  But the other two were fine.

Maybe things just need broke in.  The gun is running good with that exception.  I will keep shooting and see.  I shoot 3 or 4 times a week, so I will focus on this gun for a while and see how she breaks in. 

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2017 at 17:49
Wilson told me to bend the follower a bit and see if that helps.  If not send them back.  That's what I wanted to do, but didn't want to void a warranty or something. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2017 at 20:42
If you are counting your rounds, as you should be, it is less an issue.

Always count your rounds, takes your mind off the shooting, where thinking about a thing makes it worse.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2017 at 11:41
Well I got the safety and magwell and installed them.  Changed grips again too.  I like the way it turned out.  Still shooting good and a bend of the follwer has seemed to fix the slide lock on empty issue.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic