OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Meopro vs VX3i?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybirdaccountant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meopro vs VX3i?
    Posted: March/08/2017 at 12:40
I'm wanting to put a new scope on my Tikka 308.  Does the Meopro 3-9x40mm have an advantage over the Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm?  My Signature rings actually give me plenty of room for the VX-3i 3.5-10x50mm as well, so that one isn't out of the equation either.  I used this rifle for whitetail hunting so the ability to see in low light is important to me.  I like the eye relief on Leupolds, but with a light kicking 308 that really shouldn't be a big issue.

Thanks
R H Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2017 at 15:06
I can't really answer that question but I did want to say that I really liked the older 3X9X42 Mepro with German #4. I thought that reticle was a great low light reticle. The thick portion of the #4 extended so close to the center that you could use it to aim even if it got so dark that you lost the thin inner portion. The inner portion was fine enough for precise target shooting. Just a great #4 IMHO.
jaybirdaccountant View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybirdaccountant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2017 at 10:14
I'd stick with the standard duplex or Z plex either way. I'm just too much a creature of habit :)  Hopefully someone will chime in who's used or tested both lines. 
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2017 at 10:12
When choosing between scopes with similar quality glass, reticle choice is the big difference. Avoiding reticles designed to work better in low light is unnecessarily handicapping yourself. However, if your choice is which you happen to like better rather than what is more effective, then you'll have to look through and pick whichever suits your fancy. Low light performance is quantifiable. Whimsy is not.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybirdaccountant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2017 at 18:53
O.k. I guess nobody has experience with both.
StrangeHighways View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StrangeHighways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2017 at 11:34
During legal shooting hours I like the Meo better. Sometimes I stay in my stand way past and the coatings on my vx3i helps my old eyes. Your eyes may be different so it may not hold true for you

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2017 at 20:02
http://swfa.com/optics/browse/riflescopes/trijicon-2-5-12-5x42-accupoint-30mm-rifle-scope-1.html

Trijicon 2.5-12.5x42 AccuPoint 30mm Rifle Scope

Matte, MOA-Dot Crosshair w/ Green Dot

I would pick one of the Trijicon scopes.  One thing that you need to realize is that if you dial the power down to 6x or lower in low light it will make the image brighter. I think the illuminated reticle helps in low light and the mil dot will give a means of holding over for longer distances just run a ballistic program in mil   http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj_drift-5.1.cgi

You can range find with the mil dot and use it for known distance hold over when you know how many mils the bullet drops at a specific distance. nice glass on these scopes also.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybirdaccountant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2017 at 20:53
For my own used, I just can't see putting big money into a rifle scope with a limited life due to the tritium used.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybirdaccountant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2017 at 20:54
"For my own use" I meant. I can't figure out how to edit the posts here.

saltydog235 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2017 at 00:26
When the tritium goes, send it back to Trijicon for service. It's not a big deal.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybirdaccountant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2017 at 05:04
Still, it's just not what I want. I like a plain duplex style crosshair for hunting.
R H Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2017 at 08:29
You're pretty set on a plain duplex, so just get that. The Leupold will be fine. I might suggest the heavy duplex, or post and duplex for low light, but I don't think you would like it.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybirdaccountant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2017 at 09:17
I have a Leupold 50mm VX-III with a heavy duplex on a AR I use for varmints in low light. It works well for that purpose, but I do like the regular duplex a bit better for general use.  I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something great with the Meopro, but will probably just stick with the Leupold then.
R H Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2017 at 11:48
It's been my experience that 99% of the time when comparing scopes in the same price range the difference isn't going to be optical quality. In the same price range mostly the difference is in features such as reticles, turrets, eye relief, weight, and such. About the only exception is when a model is being closed out and replaced by a newer model and is drastically discounted from what it was previously.
probably View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote probably Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2017 at 01:04
I was always a huge fan of Leupold, and I still have a few dozen of them.  But since I tried my first Meopta, I've bought several more. I like them better for low light. 
In 30 yrs of hunting Ive taken many WTB over 120", 3 over 140" & 2 over 160;I own most of the glass and guns that people argue over. So I go online for friendly chat but rude know-it-alls can bite me
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic