OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Swaro Z5 dependability?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swaro Z5 dependability?
    Posted: March/09/2017 at 11:42

How good do you think the Swaro Z5 is mechanically? I don't think it's as sturdy as a SWFA SS but it is way ahead of a VX2?

As you have likely seen from my other thread on scope choice, the Z5 has been in the top running for a choice for my Forbes 270. When I bought the Forbes, my plan was to mount a SWFA SS 3X9 and use the rifle as a medium to long range gun, in conjunction with my Kimber Montana 7-08 with Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8X32, which I use for woods hunting. That SS wouldn't work on my Forbes because the steep ejection angle would hit the turret no matter how high I mounted it.

Just to see how well the gun shot, I took my 10 year old VXII 4-12X40 AO fine duplex off my rimfire and mounted it on the Forbes. I've used this scope on several deer rifles until I could afford a new scope and it has done very well for several hundreds of rounds. I've killed deer with it from 20-400 yards. It's always held zero and adjusted properly. I've never dialed yardage except to sight in though. I really like the light weight and power range on the Forbes, even if the reticle is a little thin.

Now that I'm looking for a scope for that rifle, the Z5 seemed a logical choice since it is only 2 ounces heavier than my 4-12 VXII and still very sleek. Of coarse the glass is better but I just looked at a Z5 and the adjustments being loose feeling didn't exactly inspire confidence. I've also been researching and have heard of plastic parts on a couple breaking. I know that happens with every brand, but it does make me wonder just how much better mechanically the Z5 is than a new VX2.

I just saw a VX2 4-12X40 AO with wind plex reticle and a turret that is 1/3 what the Z5 costs. I know the Z5 is better optically, but do you think it is that much better mechanically than the VX2 for occasional dialing, and I mean very rarely since I live where 200 yards is usually a long shot? I wanted to set up this Forbes just in case I get a chance to hunt away from my normal locations.

I guess it sounds silly to most of you guys to try to compare a Z5 to a VX2. It really does to me too. I guess I like the VX2 because of weight and price and I'm looking for some assurance that the Z5 really is better mechanically. I don't mind spending the money, but I really do want to make sure I'm getting something for it more than better glass and a name.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2017 at 12:02
I spun dials a bit on my Z6.  It was always accurate and returned to zero.  The dials were not made to really be used like that, but the bit I did worked just fine.  I am pretty certain moving them around will be fine.  Swaro builds nice scopes. 

This is where again I think you would be happy with a VX6.  They are made to do that with low profile turrets.  While they may not be superior in glass quality, they are excellent optically and having ability to dial when you want is a nice feature.  Plus you can get ones with ZL which is for zero lock.  Based upon what you say your uses are, the VX6 would server you well.  An now with the HD versions, that should close the gap some in the optical quality area. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic