OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA 3x15 ss sight in.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ds1962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWFA 3x15 ss sight in.
    Posted: March/13/2017 at 12:54
Got my scope three years ago and love it. Sighted it in the other day and had a couple of " fliers"; shots #4&5 at 100 yes. I have always used Winchester 308 168 gr. Ballastic tip. The first three were in right in there and the other two were 1.5 and 2.25 " outside right at one o clock and four o clock. This is fourth time I have sighted it in since I got it. BTW, I have got several hogs with it on my Bushmaster AR 10. Twice I have sighted it in and all three rounds have been in an inch group. Why would these last two rounds fly off? Ammo maybe?
Notes: it always takes 6-8 rounds to get the group to start coming in to center. Even on one of the "reviewers" you tube videos, said the same thing when they tried it. Why does the scope do this?
             I've used proper rest sandbags before for sighting in and always steady on my homemade heavy table in my backyard( live out in country).
             Just bought some Caldwell shooting sand filled bags for rifle rest and they are great. They support weapon perfectly. The crosshairs are perfect on the bulls eye.
              I have a SSA Geiselle two stage trigger. I just can't see me moving or pulling those shots that far off. Guess it's got to be the factory ammo or me?
              No wind basically, maybe 1-2 mph. Perfect day to shoot.
               The ammo is so expensive, I could shoot a couple boxes up trying to get them all in there close.
             I shot "three shot groups"

The scope is on the SSALT scope mount torqued to SWFA recommended settings. Mount also.
Any ideas?
Thanks

GOD FIRST
FAMILY SECOND
2nd amendment rights third
Ds1962 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ds1962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2017 at 13:04
I would love to talk with someone who has years of experience in sighting in rifles and all that goes with it beyond the normal( just hunter experience sighting in at 100 yds close enough to get a deer type scenario. Maybe I need to make my own loads( my neighbor and I are getting ready to hopefully do it this year ). Would love to shoot to 400-800 yds. But that takes skill, etc.      
GOD FIRST
FAMILY SECOND
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2017 at 13:42
If you cleaned the barrel, it can take a few shots to foul the barrel for better consistency.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Ds1962 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ds1962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2017 at 13:47
I ran a bore snake through it after I fired one round and I end up shooting around 10 shots
GOD FIRST
FAMILY SECOND
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2017 at 16:01
One thing that you may not realize is that many rifles strike a different point of impact hitting one place when the barrel is cold bore and hitting a different place once the barrel is hot having fired several shots. There are always several possible factors one has to consider, naturally the first is that the shooter may have flinched or somehow not been consistent in pulling the trigger.  Even the best shooters find working the trigger to be a perishable skill if they don't shoot that particular rifle for a while.  Generally the most suspect piece of equipment is the scope mount but I have that same mount on a rifle that I was shooting at 200 yds a couple days ago and it worked great for me.  If you have ruled out wind as a factor then you have to ask since this is a semi auto : is the ammo loading without deforming the bullet.  Take a new round and let the rifle chamber it then remove it to examine it.   Semi auto guns being exceptionally accurate is a possibility but I hesitate to say that many semi auto guns may be battle quality not match quality.  Not sure what barrel lenght you have but I had White Oak Armory cut a 24 in down to 20 in and thread with a Smith Vortex flash suppressor and the result was match quality but they build the competition AR 15 uppers that win so their fitting is superb.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Ds1962 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ds1962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2017 at 21:46
Good point. I will. 16" bbl.
GOD FIRST
FAMILY SECOND
MikieG View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2017 at 09:10
Check your rifles stock screw torques.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2017 at 09:55
Could be shooter, could be ammo, could be mount, could be many things.  

Do you have another rifle of known precision and accuracy?  Does the rifle get bounced around when not in use? Is it a thin-contour barrel?  Does the barrel ever get too hot to hold?  How do you clean (you mentioned a bore snake, is that it?)

What you are asking for (an answer to a question with MANY variables, and no first-hand experience on our part) is fraught with peril.

On the bench with your gun, I could probably diagnose the problem, and I am happy to tell you the steps I would go through to do so; but diagnosing the problem with the very limited information we now have, it isn't possible.  Someone might guess the root cause, but there isn't yet enough info to accurately define the issue. Or the remedy.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2017 at 10:02
Is your barrel free floated?  Also, many times if you have a free float tube, people jam the tube up against the upper.  That can affect the so called free float and create pressure when things head up and change the POI.  Optimally the free float tube should have a very slight gap between it and the upper. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic