OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

serious question on purchased ammo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: serious question on purchased ammo
    Posted: March/18/2017 at 07:39
I purchased two different boxes of ammo from a respected source. They were for trial in my Dakota model 10 chambered in .257 Roberts. One was loaded with 110 gr. Hornady Interbond bullets and the other with 100gr. Swift Scirocco II bullets. Neither will chamber ... when I raise the breechblock it hits the cartridge rim. From what I can determine, the max COAL should be 2.78" (other loaded ammo recently purchased works fine... but not this stuff), but these have a COAL of about 3". What should I do? I have tried contacting the original source, but have not even received a reply (great CS I'd say... not). Can the bullets be pulled and re-seated? Any other thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2017 at 08:12
Ric, I have a box of Federal Premium 120 gr Nosler Partition and a couple boxes of Hornady Superformance 117 gr SST's that both measure 2 3/4". I don't think Hornady produces the Superformance any longer.

As I said in my PM the Federals are yours if you are interested.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2017 at 21:04
The first question is does the ammo meet reloading specs for length etc.  If they are factory ammo and they meet the ammo reloading specs the problem may be the machine work done by the rifle manufacturer. I have had rifles that would not chamber ammo made to spec and ammo that was factory new but made wrong.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2017 at 08:38
The ammo is factory and does not meet the 2.78 number that I found online. I have some factory accubonds that do just fine... as did some others recently tried.
               Anomymous
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2017 at 05:55
Wow. This site is full of brilliant minds. Wondering why so few responses?! Did I P in somebodies corn flakes?
               Anomymous
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2017 at 06:35
Yo Ric, do you want the Federals that I offered? 💥💥💥🦌

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2017 at 10:12
Yep. Let me know the shipping amount and I'll send you up a check. Thanks Skip. U da man! I'll PM U my address. 
               Anomymous
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2017 at 12:04
The "respected source" part leads me to believe this isn't factory as we would define it, is that correct?

If I bought factory rounds that were that far out of spec on length, I'd question what else might be wrong with them.

Has the rifle every chambered a round you know to be in spec?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
hatton mann View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatton mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2017 at 12:39
Of-course you can pull the bullets and then re-seat them. You could even bump them lower w/ your seater die if they're not crimped.  If you can find a case guage for 257 Rbt., that might be helpful. The datum point on the cartridges in question might be off. The rim might be out of spec. 
Even though other 'factory' ammo has chambered and fired, perhaps a chamber cast might be in order. Perhaps the leade is a little short ?
All this stuff may be unlikely, but I would consider all of it to be possible. Something is stopping those cartridges.

Edited by hatton mann - March/22/2017 at 12:44
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2017 at 14:38
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

The "respected source" part leads me to believe this isn't factory as we would define it, is that correct?

If I bought factory rounds that were that far out of spec on length, I'd question what else might be wrong with them.

Has the rifle every chambered a round you know to be in spec?

It's definitely factory... I just did not want to specify the vendors name here. They have ignored two e-mail requests... but today I finally got a human on the phone to talk to. They are supposed to be getting back to me. We'll see. If not, I will then release (here) the specifics. 

The rifle has performed well with Nosler Trophy Grade Custom Accubond (110 gr.) ammo purchased at Midway USA.It chambered fine and shot MOA.
               Anomymous
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2017 at 14:43
Originally posted by hatton mann hatton mann wrote:

Of-course you can pull the bullets and then re-seat them. You could even bump them lower w/ your seater die if they're not crimped.  If you can find a case guage for 257 Rbt., that might be helpful. The datum point on the cartridges in question might be off. The rim might be out of spec. 
Even though other 'factory' ammo has chambered and fired, perhaps a chamber cast might be in order. Perhaps the leade is a little short ?
All this stuff may be unlikely, but I would consider all of it to be possible. Something is stopping those cartridges.

I'm not a reloader and have no equipment to pull and re-seat the bullets. From what I can determine, the trimmed case length is correct (2.223"). The OAL is supposed to be 2.775" (rounded to 2.78") but these are at least .2 long. 
               Anomymous
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatton mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2017 at 15:31
If they are .2" = 2/10s", over max. OAL they are pretty long. 
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2017 at 16:28
If any measurement on ammunition is not to specification I would not alter the shells in any way to force them to fit. There is no telling what is wrong. Worse case would be the shells could be over charged and would blow up in your face. Not good. Loco Several company's have recalled ammunition that was loaded incorrectly in the past few years.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2017 at 17:17
Originally posted by hatton mann hatton mann wrote:

If they are .2" = 2/10s", over max. OAL they are pretty long. 

Yep, they are.
               Anomymous
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2017 at 17:18
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

If any measurement on ammunition is not to specification I would not alter the shells in any way to force them to fit. There is no telling what is wrong. Worse case would be the shells could be over charged and would blow up in your face. Not good. Loco Several company's have recalled ammunition that was loaded incorrectly in the past few years.

Very true. I did not try and force them. Still waiting to hear back from them. 
               Anomymous
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatton mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2017 at 21:56
Let me take a guess at this point; 'High Energy' loads ?

If so, I'm wondering if a little too much powder was stuffed into the case and over time pushed the bullet forward. 
Shake the cartridge,,, anything 'shaking' inside ?
I've worked  w/ compressed loads, but you do have to leave some room for the bullet,,Big Grin

Check the ammo company website for recalls.

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2017 at 07:19
Will do... thanks.
               Anomymous
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2017 at 11:46
So, I "shook" several cartridges... they must be loosely (not tightly) packed because I can hear / feel movement. I'm wondering if a simple bullet re-seating (deeper) may be in order. Still no response back from the company. I'm fixin' to call them back this afternoon. Such an unnecessary PIA. 
               Anomymous
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2017 at 12:08
Ammo went UPS today Ric. I'll PM you my address.

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2017 at 11:27
Called and got a real person... again. He was clueless, but finally said they would send me a FedEx return label. Maybe progress is forthcoming???!!!Cool
               Anomymous
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic