OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Building a scope testing rig

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tucansam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building a scope testing rig
    Posted: March/21/2017 at 02:43
Wanting to build a scope testing rig that I can use to test the tracking on the various scopes I own, and future purchases.  Have seen some of the posts (some here) showing wooden clamp-down styles.  Have also seen some pic rail tripod adapters.

Two main questions: considering I would want the platform to be 100% stable, I assume the collective would frown on the idea of a tripod mount, even with a super expensive, fancy tripod.  If this assumption is incorrect, what tripod would be recommended for the purpose?

Secondarily, although every thread I see tests at 100 yards or meters, is there any reason it couldn't be done at a closer distance?  I have 20y available in my yard, and if I could make a testing target that was sufficiently detailed, to make up for the otherwise tiny reticle movement at such a short distance, any reason why tracking couldn't be tested without having to cart a bunch of stuff out to the range?

Thanks
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2017 at 09:50
I am a fan of Manfrotto tripods and heads, have had great success with them.

And there is no such thing as 100% stable.

At 20 yards, you have 2 primary issues:
1.  Parallax adjustments on many scopes will not go that low.
2.  You need a good target, very good glass, and an expert eye to be able to accurately evaluate movements in tracking. That becomes more true as range decreases.

As a shooter rather than an engineer, my testing is done on a gun, where the scope should end up anyway.  There are lots of tests for tracking on a gun, I would think the same would work on a static mount, you just need a well thought out plan and very good markings on your target of interest.

In this, the math is the easy part; coming up with something that actually works well in the real world, that is the challenge, but plenty have done it.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic