OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

? Savage Model 12 BR in 6 mm norma

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ? Savage Model 12 BR in 6 mm norma
    Posted: March/21/2017 at 18:27
Good afternoon all...

Question...I have a Savage model 12 benchrest rifle in 6mm norma.  This round/rifle combo just isnt doing it for me.  Part of it is accuracy, maybe my expectations are out of whack..but 5 shots gets me about an inch with 105 amax, slightly better with 87 vmax.  Ive only tried a couple different powders and seating depths, but havent had to "work" this hard for anything else.

As a comparison was at the range yesterday with just a sandbag...5 shots from my Tikka CTR 260 with the fixed 6 again tighter than any group i could get with 6mm norma and frankly that doesnt seem right...tried some different magnifications to see if had it dialed up or down to far and didnt change much.

Anyways...got me thinking today...anything stopping me from getting a 26-28" barrel chambered in 260 and slapping it on there?  I love the 260 round....easy to load, no recoil either, and its just effective.  

Can a guy order a barrel, get a wrench and a headspace gauge and swap it out pretty simple?  With the case head being the same is it that simple?  Any suggestions on which barrel maker would make the most sense and best value for dollar?

This work?  

Shilen Barrel Savage 110 Series Small Shank 260 Remington Varmint Contour 1 in 8" Twist 26" Stainless Steel

Appreciate the input.

Edited by JLud - March/21/2017 at 18:48
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2017 at 19:30
You need a barrel vice, nut wrench and maybe a action wrench. I got my savage apart without the action wrench, but some say its needed. They are kimd of like ARs very simple to build.

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2017 at 20:01
Dont need head spacing gauges at all?  Seems like the above might be a good investment.  

Thank you for the information.  Thinking 26 or 28" for it...Criterion at the moment seems to be good bet for a large shank drop in.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2017 at 20:19
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2017 at 21:05
Thanks super. That's actually the place I called and left a message. Hoping they have all I need and excited about a heavy target 260. Bolt face is good right? Nothing at all I need to do on that end of things right?

Anyone talk me into another caliber that would fit? 😉
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2017 at 21:42
Savages are very easy to build up. I did one in 300wsm a few yeasts ago with a McGowan barrel,that shoots very good.

Did mine with just an oak block drillegal out to the diameter of the factory barrel, then cut in half length-wize to make a home made barrel vise (clamped the barrel in between them in a bench vice.) Then used a barrel nut wrench to back off the nut. Put the go gauge in the barrel, closed the bolt in the action, spun the barrel on until it stopped against the bolt, tighten the nut, done. Easy-peasy!

And remember, the bolt head is easy to change on a savage as well, you are not limited by anything except action length.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2017 at 21:50
The 6.5 creedmoor is a shorter case so you can shoot the loger bullets in a short action vs the 260. Shooting some of the eld type bullets in the 260 will be more limited Because of mag length limitations. Thats one of the biggest advantages of the 6.5 over the 260

JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2017 at 22:14
Well, ive got two 260s...Tikka CTR and Tikka Sporter.....so i would have 20, 24, and 28 covered :)

Mag length limits the CTR and Sporter but should be good to go on the single shot bolt.  Been eye balling those 147 ELDs.  I was also a bit worried about having two rounds too similar, as well as different brass, dies to mix up etc.  As scatterbrained as I can be sometimes...loading 260 tonight couldnt figure out why primers kept having trouble seating.  When finished i realized i had the small primer insert in the hand tool still.

Sky could be the limit with this though....I dont have a 7mm.....same dimension on head at .473 for 260 vs the 7mm...Ive been wanting a 280 AI....maybe that would be the ticket.  

Used to dream about a 7mm SAUM however never many rifles available for a long range setup.  Would the 7mm SAUM be drop in as well?  The new 180 grain ELDs look good there too.  Ive got the 223s covered, 243, a 257 wby, 260s, 270, 300 blk, 308 win, 338 lapua to name a few...maybe a 7 is the right answer if it works.

Thanks for all the great info, very helpful.  Keep feeding this fat kid in the candy store...

Edited by JLud - March/21/2017 at 22:32
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2017 at 10:05
Ahh, yeah.  I did not realize that was single shot.  I would stick with the .260 then as well. 

All the 7mm mag have a larger bolt face of .540.  But that is simple to change on a Savage.  You can buy a magnum bolt face for under $30 I believe.  You could go .284 win and it has a rebated case rim, so it would use the same face.  You could also go 7 wsm.

the 280 AI is a long action case, right?  So that likely would not work, unless it being a single shot somehow makes that viable.  

JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2017 at 11:08
Well, ordered a 30" Criterion in 260 with a match chamber for longer bullets.  Upsold me into the upgraded recoil lug and barrel nut, and advised buying the action wrench along with barrel wrench....he pretty much said to avoid half what I see on youtube.  Figured I would used it at some other point so hopefully not money wasted.  Got my Forster go/no go gauges as well and a lot of good info from James.

I did notice the larger face on the 7mm mag so avoided that as didnt want to further complicate it, and I was thinking the long action would be ok as long as I could feed the round in the rifle.  I have some 280AI handy and I think it would have worked just fine however ended up opting for the 260 as they had it on the shelf ready to send.  10 week lead on the AI.

I did think about .284 win for a bit and he had one of those on the shelf as well.  In the end, just decided with a nice die set already for 260 and plenty of quality brass that I would leave well enough alone.

Any markets for the barrel I take off?  Less than 200 rounds down it...have brass, dies, and bullets.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2017 at 11:20
Sounds great.  Let us know how it goes.  Excellent

criterionbarrels View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote criterionbarrels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2017 at 16:39
Looking forward to hearing how it shoots!

If you need any help while you're getting it installed, feel free to give NSS or Criterion a call. We're always happy to help out.
contact@criterionbarrels.com
(262) 628-8749
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2017 at 12:14
Already got the goods in the mail that was fast! Maybe time later this weekend if lucky but need to get a couple more items before I start.

Thanks for the offer for help, appreciate it!
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2017 at 21:25
Well sh*t that was easy...found one good five minute YouTube video, then realized with the action wrench I bought life was good. Didn't need a vice or even a breaker bar....just action wrench, barrel wrench and a torque wrench. Heck even bought a vice I didn't need. Hardest part was getting the plastic cap thread protector off the new barrel lol...

Thanks to Jim at NSS for getting me everything I needed and walking me through it on the phone. Lots of opportunities now opened up with some new tools!
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2017 at 22:31
Greg young at bugholes.com has come out with the bugnut that he can set you up to use on remington and custom actions so you can do the same thing. Soon I will have him set me up with a 6.5 creed for my stiller action and then i can change my own barrels on it.

JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2017 at 20:50
Well, finally got a chance to shoot the new barrel today. Just 15 rounds and cleaning a lot. Got one group off at the end of sighting in scope...only at 50 yards but with just a sandbag and one ragged hole. Think will work out just fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic