OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Suggestions for Scoping Mannlicher Schoenauer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggestions for Scoping Mannlicher Schoenauer
    Posted: March/24/2017 at 11:39
I have an MS 1952 that I would like to scope. Tube diameter needs to be 1 inch, and I would like the scope to match the vintage aesthetics of the rifle so a gloss finish and relatively traditional lines and turret caps etc will be needed. Most important aspects to me aside from the aesthetics are the weight and decent quality optics. I'm not looking for a high end scope, something $200 to $400 should suffice, and I am perfectly happy to look for something out of production on the used market. Something from Leupold in the low power variable range seems like it would work but I'm also looking for some suggestions I may not have considered. Shooting will be moderate ranges so I really don't need much magnification. Please chime in if anything comes to mind.
-Michael
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2017 at 11:52
Here is a close suggestion... Weaver made an anniversary model gloss, steel tubed, 1", fixed 4x power scope a few years back. I have one on my 1885 Low Wall. It's rather decent and has a clean, non-obtrusive look. It came in a yellow box and included a cheesy Timex (I think) watch. Seems like it was around $200. If you want, I could email a pic. If so, pm me your addy. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2017 at 12:13
Thanks, Ric. I have thought about the weaver classic K line. I definitely agree that they are an attractive, classic looking scope with some of the modern niceties thrown in. I think that even the 4X might be a little large for what I'm looking for though. I believe the classic 4x is about 10.5 inches long and weighs around 12 ounces with that 38mm objective bell. Ideally I would like a 1X4 variable but anything that falls in that power range (including fixed) would be fine as long as the weight and overall profile are very slim. There are TONS of options out there in matte black, it seems that finding something in gloss black is significantly more difficult though. Leupold made some of the old Vari-X line in gloss but it seems all the new VX models in low power are in matte black. 

They do make a couple of "rimfire" scopes that, aside from the rimfire designation, seem to fit perfectly with what I want. Does anyone own one of the 4x28 Leupold rimfire scopes- are they truly limited to being used on a rimfire due to recoil tolerances or is it just a branding thing?

-Michael
mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2017 at 09:32
Anybody know about the rimfire scopes mentioned above? I've tried getting in touch with Leupold but can't get someone on the phone and haven't received a response by email.
-Michael
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2017 at 01:39
i would look into the classic, old fashioned looking Leupold or Weaver scopes, just like you are.
I suspect that you would need 4" of eye relief, because of the type of stock and scope mount you have on that rifle. 
Rimfire scope have parallax set at 50 yards. Not a huge problem, but you will have more error if you move your head when shooting longer ranges.
recoil resistance is the same, or should be.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2017 at 15:26
Personally, I would not scope it… if it has the original iron sights, should be good.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
probably View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote probably Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2017 at 17:15
no interest in picking up a post war Hensoldt?  Obviously its not a 1" tube, but if you are going for authenticity, it might be worth switching the bases & rings.  I've used some pre & post war hensoldts, a wartime mfg. Ajacks, and a meopta or two, and never had a problem with their mechanics. 
In 30 yrs of hunting Ive taken many WTB over 120", 3 over 140" & 2 over 160;I own most of the glass and guns that people argue over. So I go online for friendly chat but rude know-it-alls can bite me
mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2017 at 18:29
I did consider looking for a post-war european scope, but didn't find very many to my liking as far as condition and finish. It seems most of the nicer hensoldts on the market are the model with the claw mounts or the rail mount, neither of which will work for me. I've found a couple of nicer older leupolds that should work well and look quite stately though. 

Thanks!
-Michael
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic