OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold "wide duplex" (NOT heavy) for my uses?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carved Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold "wide duplex" (NOT heavy) for my uses?
    Posted: March/30/2017 at 13:34
Well, my M8 6X is toast.  Leupold is sending me  an FX-II 6x36 as a direct replacement.  Until recently, they offered a "standard duplex" which had a medium thickness fine section that was hemmed in pretty tightly by the thicker sections.  Now, this isn't offered.  Only the "wide duplex" is offered.  "Wide" doesn't refer to the thickness of the lines, but to the subtensions.  It is the same as the standard duplex, but the fine lines take up a much greater area in the center than on the "standard duplex".

So, this is what is being sent.  I could have spent $60 to change the reticle, but didn't have any "real" pictures of what the other options would look like.  What are your thoughts on the "wide duplex" for small game/varmint hunting?  I will have this on what will be mainly a squirrel gun (22lr).  I had the parallax set for 50 yards, and will keep shots short.  The gun is a 455, which can accept 22WMR or 17HMR barrels, which might push shots a little further for groundhogs, but I can't see going beyond 200 yards as an absolute max.  For still shots with squirrels, it will work well.  For a running rabbit, I'm not so sure.  The subtensions of the fine section just seem too large.  In VERY RARE circumstances, I might use this at night for raccoons.  Its performance under such conditions would be way down the list of priorities, but I wonder how it would work then.

Anyone use this reticle as I intend to use it?  How does it work?  Any better ideas?  Thanks.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2017 at 13:46
I have a 4x wide duplex.  I have used it for all kinds of hunting, big game, small game, low light, day light etc.  I have always been able to see the reticle just fine. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
carved View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carved Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2017 at 16:10
good to know. thanks.  
probably View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote probably Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2017 at 17:18
the only one that has ever given me trouble in a hunting situation is a fine crosshair with target dot.  that disappears in the brush.  No duplex reticle has ever given me problems. 
In 30 yrs of hunting Ive taken many WTB over 120", 3 over 140" & 2 over 160;I own most of the glass and guns that people argue over. So I go online for friendly chat but rude know-it-alls can bite me
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic