OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40
    Posted: April/08/2017 at 11:26
I wanted to give you an opinion review on this scope.  I bought it to go on my Ruger RAP 6.5CM.  It's primary role will be hunting and a secondary role of range time making small groups. 
I looked for reviews online to help guide my purchase.  I found and old one here.
http://www.opticstalk.com/leupold-vxr-patrol-39x40mm-performance-review_topic30790.html
I wanted a scope with good clarity and ability to take shots on game at low light.  I looked at the VX-1, VX-2, VX-3i and VX-R.  (I looked at a lot more but for the sake of a shorter post, I only go over one brand.)  I quickly ruled out the VX-1 due to poor reviews here and elsewhere.  The VX-2 looked good pricewise but I had $600 in company given rewards to use and I was going to get all the scope I could for my $600.  It came down to the VX-3i and VX-R.  The 3i was supposed to have the upper hand in optics being slightly newer.  I liked the red dot in the center of the cross hairs on the VX-R for low light shots.  The thing that tipped it over the top was the mil/mil adjustments of the VX-R patrol.  All my other scopes are mil/mil and I am used to it.  Also, Leupold mostly makes Standard duplex reticles in hunting scopes and I have grown to like mil hashes for hold over etc.  You have to get a "tactical" scope to get mil reticle and turrets at a higher price than I could afford too. 

I got the VX-R patrol 3-9x40 with MKIV rings in the end and do not regret it.  The scope is as clear as the VX-3i as far as I could determine in the store.  I also put it against other brands while looking at several objects at different distances and brightness levels in LGS.  As stated before, the details and colors I could see were great.  I have two SS scopes, a 10x and 3-15x and these are great too but I wanted lower turrets.  Why no SS 3-9?  Weellllll I had $600 but only in gift cards I couldn't turn into cash.  I tried because I wanted one. 

TL;DR in short the scope is amazingly clear and easy on the eye behind it.  The dot is great for finding center in low light and the mil reticle makes sighting in and hold overs a breeze.  Highly recommend.

Stock Ruger American Predator 6.5 Creedmoor

Closer view of the scope

scope 3x mag at 100 yards

scope 9x mag at 100 yeads

Stamp collecting since 2015
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2017 at 11:40
Nice write-up on a nice scope. I had one a couple of years ago. Good luck... I'm sure it will be the bugs nuts for you.

If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2017 at 11:42
That rifle/scope combo is a consistent .8 MOA with factory ammo. 
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2017 at 13:36
Thats a great scope choice. I have one thats been 4 or 5 different rifles. A few thousand round and it just works. Love that scope.

On your rilfe Boyds make a reall nice stock for the ruger predator.

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2017 at 16:16
I was looking at that same stock.  I was going to try and keep it as light as possible and just add a little filler to the fore end to stiffen it up.  How heavy is that stock?  Do you even notice the extra weight?
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2017 at 16:38
Yes its much heavier. But it allows a good check weld. The factory american stocks leave a lot to be desired.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2017 at 19:22
Thanks.  You're right the stock is the weak link.

Is that a prairie hunter that was customized or a different one?

Edited by sucker76 - April/08/2017 at 19:29
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2017 at 21:30
Yes its the customized prairie hunter

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2017 at 21:32
I think i will buy an american 6.5 creed and put a Boyds on it one of these days. Probably stick my vxr patrol on it too. They really are a decent gun for under $400.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2017 at 21:45
I would consider buying the alumina caps for your scope too. They are expensive, but so nice. I have them for all my Leupolds.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2017 at 07:28
Nicely done! 

I have the VX-R 3-9x with the Duplex Firedot and I like it more all the time.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2017 at 09:05
I have wanted the alumina caps put the price has delayed their purchase.  The bikini covers it comes with do the job but that's it.  I've been know to forget them in the deer stand and find them the next day of hunting so new covers are on the short list.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2017 at 01:03
Worth every cent. Get them! 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic