OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope question?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scope question?
    Posted: April/09/2017 at 09:49
I have ask this question in the past but want to ask again to see if I can any more answers to help me make a choice..I shoot f class at 300 and 500 yards.I bench shoot due to broken back problems.

These are all reduced sized PAPER targets..NO STEEL.
Found my older T 36 too much on hot days..I can see the 223 holes at 300 but not 500 and really don't care as long as I can focus on the bullseye.. What power do you seriously think is all I will need for this type of shooting? I appreciate it.Have a match coming up which is at 500 yards..If I knew how to post a picture I could show you the target we use..Thanks..
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2017 at 15:33
The general rule of thumb is that one is better off with better quality glass than they are with higher magnification.  Lets start by asking our self:  What does  a 10 power scope do for us at 100 yds ... it makes the target look like its 10 yds away.   What does a 10 power scope do for us at 1000 yds  ... it makes the target look like its 100 yds away. So a 10 power scope makes a 500 yd target look like its 50 yds away.  Double that to 20x and it cuts that distance in half and a 20 power scope makes a 500 yd target look like its 25 yds away.  You have been using a 36 power scope which is almost 40 or almost half of the 25 yds so say 12.5 to 15 yds away.   The negative factors associated with high magnification scopes are that they are not very bright in low light and on hot days mirage is a problem.  Personally I like a scope that has a top end between 16x and 25x max  if its a varaible and I have owned a 20 x fixed power but much prefer my fixed power 16x to the 20X I previously had.  I would probably look real hard at these:
http://swfa.com/leupold-25x40-fx-3-silhouette-riflescope-1.html?___SID=U

http://swfa.com/catalog/product/view/id/117859/?___SID=U

http://swfa.com/catalog/product/view/id/117857/?___SID=U

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/09/2017 at 15:40

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2017 at 18:16
What is your budget?

ILya
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2017 at 19:09
Personally I think 20-24 is the highest usable for me.  Above that it is too dim for me and too shaky for my style of shooting.  I do most of my shooting at 12-15 power, but I am not trying to see holes at 300 or 500 yards on paper targets.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2017 at 19:24
F-class and benchrest guys often use very high power scopes and I suspect there is a reason for it.  Personally, I do not shoot at very high pwoer either, but I am not a benchrest guy.  If he has problems with mirage, I would be inclined to steer him to a variable where he can simply use whatever power is apporpriate for the conditions.

This is where the question of budget really comes in.  For his purposes, going very low in magnification is not critical, and there are a few respectable high power variables out there.

They sorta start at around $1k with Sighrton S3 8-32x56 and go up from there.

Oh, another thing I forgot to ask: is there a weight limit?

I have been looking at some very high power scopes recently (I was curious to see how well they do) and if your budget stretches to $1500, Vortex Golden Eagle 10-60x52 is absolutely superb.

ILya
runout View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2017 at 13:25
there is no weight limit in these matchs..The mirage is the biggest problem.That is why the t36 is way too much.Thinkof something no higher than 25..
runout View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2017 at 14:34
well I hope it wasn't a bad choice.Ordered a leupold vx 3i target
30 mm tube 8.5-25 50mm side focus....
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2017 at 14:42
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe F Class rules state a rifle weight limit of 18 lbs.

I'm going to go against the general consensus here and tell you that unless you've budgeted $2k or more minimum for your scope, you're better off keeping the scope you have. F Class and Benchrest comp are the rare shooting disciplines where more magnification is better if you plan to be competitive, as you're aiming at tiny targets and the competition is stiff. The same considerations that apply to hunting and tactical shooting do not apply here. Low light isn't a consideration. Ultimate image quality takes a back seat to being able to aim at small targets with precision. You need a very thin reticle that doesn't subtend much of your target. Mirage is just part of the game. In fact many serious competitors actually WANT to see more pronounced mirage, as watching the angle and direction of heat mirage helps them judge wind hold-offs.

Nightforce, March, etc rules in this arena, and 36x-45x is your best bet.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
runout View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2017 at 17:10
only in sanction shoots are weight an issue..we are not into that..yet anyway..I would like to see it myself..Your comments are well taken.But I have seen several time when I had a bitch of a time even seening the bullseye with the t36..In fact I have also seen some shooters turn their power down..And I might be wrong but I think there is one guy with a 12x and he does pretty well...
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2017 at 20:21
Take a look at the equipment lists of guys who win a lot in F Class. They use what they use for a reason. Then ask yourself how serious you plan to be at being competitive or if you're just playing. That will determine your best course of action.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2017 at 20:51
Ted, u should take a look at the Golden Eagle for $1500. It will change your mind, and I do not make that statement lightly.

ILya

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2017 at 21:39
Wow, good call, Ilya! Vortex GE 15-60X52 is a very intriguing scope! it looks like an awesome F-class optic...provided, of course, that it maintains rock solid zero. I have no reason to believe it wouldn't. Reticles look perfect too! I've not seen one yet.
Ted

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2017 at 22:32
I've been testing one for a while. I am very impressed.

Also, Sightron SV 10-50x60 is an overall impressive package with it's dual speed focus.

If weight is in the equation, though, Golden Eagle is really something else.

ILya
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2017 at 02:19
Originally posted by runout runout wrote:

well I hope it wasn't a bad choice.Ordered a leupold vx 3i target
30 mm tube 8.5-25 50mm side focus....

Look it over really well before trying to mount it.  As in keep it in new condition till you are sure this is what you want to go with.  I have had a Leupold Mk4 in the 8.5-25x50 and for me anyway I would have preferred a lower power on the bottom end. 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2017 at 02:27

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2017 at 02:36

Leupold 25x40 FX-3 Silhouette Riflescope

Regularly $649.99

$512.40

hard to beat this sale price for a scope that is really designed to do exactly what you are doing.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
runout View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2017 at 06:34
In reality,I don't care if I win a match or not. I have won several 300 yard matchs and came in close at the 500 yard.I like to go and visit with the guys and just have a good time..To me that's what it's all about.I have seen too many poor loosers and that ruins it for the other shooters..I really like helping out the younger ones and if someone want to give it a try,I let them use my rifle..Fun times is the big winner..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic