OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

vortex scopes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: vortex scopes?
    Posted: April/12/2017 at 07:37
Found out there is a vortex dealer not too far from here and
I might go check them out..But first I would like to get
some opinions on them befor I go wishing and maybe buy what
I wouldn't like after all..For target shooting only from 0 to 500..
Thanks...
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2017 at 09:00
Is there a line in particular you have some favor towards?

Vortex has several product in the rifle scope division. Some will do exactly or more of what you are wanting and others will be lacking. If you are set on Vortex, for those distances, I would say the the Diamondback HP and Viper lines are going to be the more ideal suite. 

Another I would entertain would be Sightron. 
runout View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2017 at 06:47
I think I am going to go back to a fixed power like the weaver t36 I once had.That was a good scope just not as clear as some others..
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2017 at 07:27
Why fixed?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
runout View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2017 at 10:47
Well to be honest I guess I really don't know other than I am so confused about a new scope. Wish I wasable to look at them all. Plus I have been getting so many different opinions on all of them..My main shooting is from 0 to 500 mostly..I want all the clearity I can get..Too many to choose from. I have looked thru a few at the shoots and I really didn't think the sightrons were that clear..Plus I really would like to be able to see the 223 holes at 300 yards.I could see them with my weaver t36..Wish I had never traded it..Guess that's it in a nut sack..Aand I don't believe only half of what I read here..
Greenhorn#1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2017 at 07:23
Don't get the Vortex Crossfire line . Speaking from experience. Vortex is awesome and have great products . I wouldn't trust their entry level scopes . I would check out SWFA scopes . Believe I could drive finish nails with mine and never lose zero . You can have faith when mounting the scope thier won't be any issues . The time lost isn't worth it . My next scope will be a SWFA . I appreciated it the other day when I looked thuorgh it and the resolution was better than any scope in our group and thier were two vortex scopes . I could read the names on targets 150 yards out . I'm no expert but I have mounted a lot of scopes because I was ignorant and cheap . No crossfires !!!!!
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2017 at 11:32
Sorry to hear you only believe half of what you read here.

You'll not find a better forum.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2017 at 13:59
I was thinking half was pretty good.

Glass 1/4 full, maybe.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2017 at 14:42
Originally posted by Peddler Peddler wrote:

Sorry to hear you only believe half of what you read here.

You'll not find a better forum.

I was thinking the same thing.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2017 at 15:28
Problem with asking "opinions" about scopes is some may only have experienced lower end scopes, so the cheaper vortex scopes may be great. Others experiences may include expensive scops so a low end crossfire seems like junk
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2017 at 15:49
I have 2 Vortex scopes and like them both - a past model 2-7x33 Viper on my Ultraslug  and the XBR crossbow scope. Their Razor HD models soar north of $2000 I think but they leo make entry level scopes as well

Customer service is pretty much top notch based on reviews. Just depends on how deep your pockets are.
runout View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2017 at 19:00
Bought the sightron 36x with target dot..Should be here Tuesday..In time for the 500 yard match....

Forums are full of good information but one does have to be careful what they read...appreciate it..
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2017 at 19:20
👀
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Kevin Peacockee View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Peacockee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2023 at 02:42
Vortex is a well-known brand in the optics industry and they offer a wide range of scopes to choose from. Many hunters and target shooters prefer Vortex scopes for their high-quality build, clear optics, and affordability. For target shooting within 0-500 yards, a Vortex Viper PST Gen III or a Vortex Crossfire II might be a great option to consider. They are both designed for precision shooting and offer excellent accuracy and clarity.

However, if you're looking for something a little more premium, you might want to consider the Vortex Razor line. Razor scopes are known for their cutting-edge features, advanced reticles, and exceptional build quality. If you're interested in getting a Razor sight, I recommend checking out the Vortex Razor HD Gen III series or the Vortex Razor HD LH. They are both highly regarded by experienced hunters and shooters and are sure to provide you with top-notch performance.

Edited by koshkin - February/09/2023 at 09:25
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2023 at 09:00
You do realize that this post is six years old, right?
scopeguy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scopeguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2023 at 22:17
I have some Vortex scopes. They are okay unless you pay the big bucks for the good ones. 

EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2023 at 20:28
The lowest line Vortex' I have is the Viper HST which I use mainly for load development and I also have a Vortex PST Gen II 5-25 that I use on a 6mm CM  XLR chasis and it's been solid. I own the first Gen Vortex Razor 1-6 too and it's been solid.

I have several SWFA scopes such as the 5-20 HD (6.5 CM 700 Manner Stock), Fixed 20X (22LR), 16X (.308 700 HS stock) and 10X (308 700 Ashbury chassis) and all have been solid. I shoot a lot of steel out to 1500 yds and my favorite scope that I use from 0-500yds is the fixed SWFA 10x scope. 

I use Seekin rings for all my scopes except the Viper HST and the SWFA 20X which I use SWFA tactical rings. 

Eagle

PS: Crap, just noticed that this thread was started by OP in 2017. Guess I shouldn't drink and internet!!!!

Edited by EAGLE - March/14/2023 at 20:33
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2023 at 20:59
No worries you’re good to go Eagle!
God save the Empire!
Whitefire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitefire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2023 at 13:05
Originally posted by Peddler Peddler wrote:

👀
Me too... 
May His face shine upon you and give you peace.
Theduracellbigd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theduracellbigd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2023 at 12:01
Vortex and Leupold are my two go to brands
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic