OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Taurus pistols ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taurus pistols ?
    Posted: April/24/2017 at 16:45
Ok , gentleman I need a bed side / night stand handgun . Want a 45 caliber . Ran across a deal on used Taurus pt 145 . Looking right at 200 bucks with transfer fee . My house was broken into and they got me good . The real kick in the balls was my daughters musical instruments and all my tools . They tried getting my gun safe but it was bolted to sub floor . So I will grab trail cams and put those in . Getting a dog soon but will take time with that . Wanted a pistol for home defense and like the 45 . I'm strapped for cash now thanks to the douche bag . This won't be a carry or range pistol . Or should I just save and get something else . Doubt I need it because the cowards wouldn't come while I'm home anyways . So before I make a knee jerk reaction I come to y'all . Did I mention this sucks .
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2017 at 16:59
I'm not familiar with Delaware law so to me a transfer fee doesn't make sense on conventional firearms.  As for Taurus their firearms have improved significantly over the past 30 years there was a time years ago when I would not have considered one.  I know someone who has one of their 1911 pistols and loves it and the Taurus firearms I have seen appear to be well made and certainly worth consideration.  Personally if I were only going to own one handgun and know that it would go bang when needed it would be a Glock or a high quality 1911 with the Glock being reasonably priced but certainly not 200.  With a semi auto having one that functions is important.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2017 at 17:22
I owned one of those for a while, but it was over 10 years ago.  Reliability wise, it ran fine for me.  I just didn't care for the trigger.  It sucked balls.  But I believe they have changed that since then. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Greenhorn#1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2017 at 17:24
Thank you sir . I believe we have to do a FFL transfer on the handgun . Have a chance to trade with my boss on a glock 40 for some ar 15 parts . Just really wanted a 45 because of kill probality first shot . Think I read 90 % and the 9 coming in at around 75 % kill probality first shot . I don't want to kill or hurt anyone . But if they come in I want the best percentage I can get .
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2017 at 17:26
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I owned one of those for a while, but it was over 10 years ago.  Reliability wise, it ran fine for me.  I just didn't care for the trigger.  It sucked balls.  But I believe they have changed that since then. 

Cool thank you sir . Don't need no ball sucking lol .
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2017 at 17:32
its got to better than the hi point 45 . At 140 bucks I almost want to buy it just to try and break it . Torture test it for fun .
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2017 at 17:45
It is.  Hi point really suck balls.  The trigger worked fine, but back then it was double action only and it had to be 12+ lbs.  That is why it sucked.  Now they are DA/SA, and they lightened them up some.  Like I said, mine was reliable for the few hundred rounds I shot out of it.  That was the important thing. 

My buddy Kurtis had a high point 9 while we were at college.  Twice the end of the slide around the barrel blew apart.  It was crazy.  But they replaces it both times for him.  It didn't function great either.  Quite a few malfunctions.     
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2017 at 17:48

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2017 at 17:56
Don't think I would get hi point for self defense. Not even sure what is best for me concerning double action or single . I've only had a ruger p95 and smith and Wesson 357 mag short barrel . Sold both because I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn standing inside the barn . Definitely need some trigger time to learn where I'm going wrong . Back then didn't pay much attention to triggers . Betting that was some of it . Also have a tendency to angle barrel down . Noticed that last range visit and corrected it and my accuracy improved .
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2017 at 18:06
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Might want to make sure it is not one of these.  http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/07/taurus_agrees_to_voluntary_rec.html

Thank you so much . Think I will pass on this deal .
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2017 at 18:17
Seems Taurus spends a lot of time in courts . I will definitely pass .
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2017 at 18:31
I want the FN FNX 45 . That sucker is 1200 bucks . Love the ambidextrous controls .
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2017 at 18:39
Remington 870, done. And no handgun is 90% efficient at stopping a threat. Forgo the pistol, get a shotgun, it solves problems quickly.

And a $200 shotgun will be hella more reliable than a $200 handgun, generally speaking.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2017 at 18:52
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Remington 870, done. And no handgun is 90% efficient at stopping a threat. Forgo the pistol, get a shotgun, it solves problems quickly.

And a $200 shotgun will be hella more reliable than a $200 handgun, generally speaking.

Good point , thought about this because of wall penetration as well . I assume bird shot would be more forgiving. My daughters room is behind front door and I've thought about it quite a bit . Don't want anything happening to my baby .
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2017 at 19:06
Just looked it up . Pretty much any round I will need for defense will also penetrate walls . Be cool if I could afford a reinforced wall or something to create barrier for her . Massive ar 500 wall .
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2017 at 19:16
Of course if I aim for the face with a shotgun I don't think it matters what I'm shooting . It will blind them .
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2017 at 21:47
I would just post a sign on your residence saying "no burglary please it is illegal". Probably won't even need to lock doors then either. You might want to do many languages too because if the people that break in can't read it's your fault if they get hurt while raiding your house.

That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2017 at 22:19

I understand your spot but don't waste money trying to save money. Any 45 for 200 has red flags all over it. The best bang for the buck is a Rock Island 1911. You will need to run about 100 rounds thru it to break it in and that is also good for getting you familiar with it. You can run about any cheap ammo for the break in but be sure to keep the home defense mag loaded with defense duty ammo. And practice with it some so you will understand the difference.

Rock Island Armory 51421 1911 Standard GI 8+1         $419.21 retail

Shop around for pricing.

That is if your set on a 45.

I always recommend a shotgun over pistols and AR's. Most everybody underestimates a shotgun with 6's or 71/2's. The largest room in most houses won't be over 20ft across. Take a 2'x2' piece of 1/2" plywood and shoot it with 6's or 7 1/2's at 20 steps. It is equal to shooting a slug but won't carry near as far after hitting an intruder or a drywall structure. You hit an intruder center mass with either of those loads in less than 30ft and they are very dead. Doesn't matter much if it is a 12 or 20 gauge, even a 410 is great because at those close distances you have to be fairly accurate because you are not getting "scatter shot" results. Get a pump or semi-auto and get familiar with it. In a confrontation you don't want to be trying to figure out how the thing works. I often recommend a pump because you can leave the chamber empty and if an intruder hears you ratchet a round in, you likely won't need to do anything else. You won't need to tell them you have a gun, that is a universal language. A good thing to practice when you are practicing, is to shoot from a low position. Down on your knees or sitting or laying down. This keeps you out of typical line of fire if they are armed and it forces you to shoot at an upward angle to lower the possibility of hitting someone else in the house. Most people I train say they feel silly doing that at the range but concede that it is worth it when they consider what could happen if they don't.

And don't feel that the 45 is the only cal that will stop an intruder. Ammo technology has advanced so far these days that most any critical defense or duty round will stop most intruders. No matter what the cal a well placed shot is just that and a poorly placed shot is just that. You can't hit him in the elbow and expect him to be dead. And there are those freaks on occasion that will take 2 or 3 rounds before they have had enough. The best you can do is prepare as best as you are able and make your family understand your expectations with out question. If they won't cooperate in a crisis your odds of disaster jump off the charts.

Be aware, seeing that they succeeded without interruption suggest that they knew what you had and/or had patterned your activities so as to avoid you and your family. If you are away so much and so routinely that you are vulnerable to another break in you will need to take steps to discourage another strike. If you can't afford an alarm system pick up some fake cameras and window and yard plaques. If your schedule allows, stop by home at random times during the week. Trail cams are great but they only provide evidence of what happened, they don't help prevent. If they are too obvious the thieves take them as well. Be creative, to stop a thief you have to think like one and what they would be seeing at your house.

Use this as a means to learn and be wiser for it.

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2017 at 05:30
Thank you SGT D . Unfortunately you are correct the reason I was hit was seclusion . Detective said what drew them to my house will also draw others . I'm buying a Italian mastiff . I have the property and the means for a dog trainer . I've been reading and it seems a shotgun is best . You figure the target will almost always be moving and the shotgun is more forgiving. Got a lot to think about . Glad we weren't home . I like to think I can handle myself . But they have the advantage with the element of surprise . So I will always be one step behind them . JLUD , I was going to put signs in and have them say smile your on camera . Thank you gentleman .
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2017 at 05:50
I can tell y'all this isn't fun or a good feeling . My wife can't sleep and every noise has her up and waking me . All guns aside I would rather box this dude down . I'm in good shape to . I've been curling beers 🍻.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic