OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sig Scopes: Why still so little information?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squee116 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sig Scopes: Why still so little information?
    Posted: April/30/2017 at 12:34
I've been looking into upgrading my glass recently, and I've been eyeballing the Sigs.
I currently run a SS 3-15 (non-HD), which I like, and a Viper PST 2.5-10x32, both ffp, which is how I've come to like my scopes.  I spent some time with the Acogs as well, and liked the glass and constant 4x, but the eye relief was much too small for me on the TA31.  The size, weight, and eye-relief of the TA33 was much more to my taste, but the limited FOV killed it for me.

While I'm generally happy with my current scopes, I'd like a bit more magnification on the high end for paper punching (around 20x, give or take some), and possibly to find a permanent home on a custom 30-06 rifle.  I was looking at Tango4 and Tango6 models.  I really like where the Viper stands in terms of size, but I'm curious if the Bravo4 gives the Acog a run for its money optically and build-wise, but with a larger eye-relief, and if so, it might challenge the Viper for its spot on its rifle.

I'm specifically curious about the Sig line, as I have access to some of the models for dealer cost, but I have yet to see much in the way of how these scopes stack up.  Do they equate to the Razor and Viper PST line? XTR ii?  SWFA HD? etc.?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2017 at 15:47
I reviewed the first Gen Tango6 3-18x44 and liked it a lot.

I plan to review the Gen 2 Tango6 shortly, probably the 4-24x50 model.

I have not looked at Tango4 a whole lot, but from what I have seen, looked very promising.  I intend to take a careful look at Tango4 (likely the 3-12x44 model), once I am done with Tango6.

From what I have seen so far, these are nicely competitive with Vortex PST I and II and Burris XTR II.  Between these and the Sig, you can probably simply pick whichever one has the reticle you prefer.  All of these are made in the Phillipines where there are a couple of manufacturers with a pretty good track record.

There are a couple of Chinese scopes coming to the market though, that will compete with these and I do not yet know how they will stack up.  They are looking pretty decent so far.

ILya
squee116 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squee116 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2017 at 19:36
That's interesting.  For some reason, I was under the impression the Tango6's and XTRII were Japanese production, but they're all from the Phillipines?  

I also remember hearing the Tango's were pretty heavy for their magnification.  Is there trade off of better glass or something for the weight?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2017 at 19:47
Originally posted by squee116 squee116 wrote:

That's interesting.  For some reason, I was under the impression the Tango6's and XTRII were Japanese production, but they're all from the Phillipines?  

I also remember hearing the Tango's were pretty heavy for their magnification.  Is there trade off of better glass or something for the weight?

Tango6 is made in Japan.
Tango4 in Phillipines.
XTR II in Phillipines
PST I and II in Phillipines.

ILya
squee116 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squee116 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2017 at 19:57
Between the 3-18 and 4-24 Tango6, would you have a preference?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2017 at 20:29
I have not tested Gen2 Tango6 yet, but I have had eyes on them.

That sorta depends on your application.  Since they are pretty close in weight (and pretty heavy), I would not put one on a light-ish rifle and on a heavier precision rifle, 4-24x50 is a better fit.

ILya
squee116 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squee116 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2017 at 21:06
That makes a lot of sense, I appreciate all the help.  You're about the only person I've been able to come across with any first-hand use with these things. 
squee116 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squee116 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2017 at 16:59
Out of curiosity, how does the Bushnell Elite Tactical stack up?  It's one of the few 30mm scopes I have access to, as one of the rifles I'm looking to scope can't do 34mm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic