OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mount or ring deforms when torqued

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickCunn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mount or ring deforms when torqued
    Posted: May/01/2017 at 22:03
I've got a Mossberg MVP sitting in my vise.  The gun has Weaver aluminum bases screwed to the receiver. The gun is level front to back.  I then then level it from left to right, placing a level across each mount to verify.  I then install and hand tighten my Weaver Optics rings (6 Hole 1" X-High aluminum).  I lay the level across the ring and verify it is level (and confirm the base is still level).  I torque the crossbolt to 30 in-lbf (spec is 35 in-lbf). Either the ring or base is deforming, because the level of the ring has shifted slightly relative to the base (it is still level).  The top of the ring has not yet been installed.  

I've removed and replaced the rings, making very sure the jaws are symmetrically and properly grabbing the base.  There are no gaps that I can spot.  However the level across the ring base is still shifted slightly compared to the still-level scope base.  

Is the deformation (i.e. shift in ring level) typical?  
Man is not free unless government is limited - RR
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2017 at 06:15
Sorry to say but Weaver is not known for quality rings.

If you plan to stick with what you have, make sure the reticle is level. Immobilize the gun well and proceed with mounting the scope. Maybe all will work out.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RickCunn View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickCunn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2017 at 21:32
The total deformation was small, mainly in the aft ring.  I use a scope level (Wheeler Engineering Level Level Level - nothing fancy).  When torgued the bubble was within the two lines, one end of the bubble against one line.  The level when placed on the base was centered between the lines.  So it wasn't much deformation. There was less in the forward ring.  I suspect steel wouldn't deform at those torque values.  

I mounted the scope, verified perpendicularity, eye relief and reticle focus.  I use an optical Bushnell magnetic bore sighter.  That got me on the paper.  The scope zeroed right in at 100 yards.  So I think the deformation is negligible.  

BTW, knowing close to zero about scope rings, is there a forum here where I can start an argument about the best versus good-enough scope rings?  I am new not only to optics but to opticsralk.com and need a lot of education.  
Man is not free unless government is limited - RR
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2017 at 21:50
Sounds almost like your action top is slightly out. So when you tighten things up it flexes your base. Problems like this are sadly common on factory guns.

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2017 at 07:15
There is a "mounts and rings" section, or something close. And the "good enough vs great" is a common topic, and well worth the time to discuss again.

Let us know how it shoots. After all, that is really what you care about.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic