OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Barrett Fieldcraft Rifle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barrett Fieldcraft Rifle
    Posted: November/21/2017 at 06:58
So is the Kimber. It has about the same barrel profile, but is floated. Almost every other thin barreled factory rifle has a floated barrel as well. No other factory rifle I’m aware of has full length bedding. It’s just an unusual choice, not necessarily an incorrect one. Sometimes full length bedding works well, sometimes it doesn’t. I’ve tried it a few times, and I’m 50/50 at getting it to work well. I’ve just had much better consistency with floating a barrel, bedding action only and maybe the first 1.5” of barrel next to the receiver. My take is if the stock is extremely stable and stiff, it can work well. If the stock is flexible or a wood stock that Might shrink/swell/warp, it won’t work because pressure against the barrel will be ever-changing.

Not saying Barret made the wrong decision, just a very uncommon one.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
nralifer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nralifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2017 at 19:05
Ostensibly the full length bedding is because the barrel is thin.
It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed. TR
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2017 at 14:19
I don’t think it would, but don’t know for sure yet. The stock they use is extremely stiff despite its light weight, being made of CF. I’m almost certain that AG Composites supplies the Fieldcraft stock. It looks to be the same or very similar to their “Carbon All Terrain” stock.

One other thing, and this is just a hunch with no proof to back it up, only anecdotal evidence...but I would bet the average Barrett Fieldcraft will outshoot the average Kimber. Again, I have no way of proving one way or the other, I’ve just noted what appears to be a higher % of Kimber owners having issues getting their rifles to shoot well and so far, I’ve not heard any negative reports on the Fieldcraft from owners. I’m sure the fact there’s a gazillion times more Kimbers out there than the brand new, comparatively expensive Fieldcraft has a lot to do with this apparent disparity. That fact aside, if the very nicely done bedding of each individual action to its stock is any indication of Barrett’s attention to details overall, I would tend to have more faith in their QC. You can tell each gun was indeed individually bedded rather than bedded to a “slave” action, given the bottom of the action has the serial number engraved, which is reflected in the bedding. I’ve had good luck getting both to shoot way better than a rifle that light has a right to shoot, so I can’t cuss either in the precision dept. It’s just the little details of the Fieldcraft like correct twists across the caliber spectrum, extra room in the mag box, and some of the prettiest, cleanest bedding I’ve ever seen tells me this rifle was created by folks that actually shoot and know what’s most important to savvy shooters looking for a solid hardcore hunting rifle.

My take anyway. Opinions vary.

Edited by RifleDude - November/20/2017 at 14:26
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2017 at 11:05
That's interesting. I have limited experience with full length bedding, but I wonder if POI will shift with sling tension (I think I am the only person in the world who still uses shooting slings).

ILya
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2017 at 06:20
One other thing. Barrett Fieldcraft has a full length bedded barrel and action, which is kinda unusual. Kimber barrrels are floated and somewhat bedded at recoil lug area of receiver. I’ve always preferred to float barrels, but I can’t argue with the way the Fieldcraft shoots. I certainly like the looks of the perfect stock to barreled action fit on the Barrett, and the bedding is flawlessly done.
Ted

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2017 at 06:02
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I thought you'd go for a more interesting caliber, like 7mm SAW...

Either way, a a lightweight hunting rifle, is it a better option than the Kimber you have?

ILya

I went with one of the most interesting calibers in existence! I only had 3 other 7-08s, so why not add a superlight one to the stable? Even if I wanted to stray from perfection, I can’t buy it in chamberings they don’t offer.

This rifle competes in the same league as the Kimber Montana/Mountain Ascent/Subalpine/Adirondack series, but in some ways is a better rifle IMO.

Fieldcraft advantages over Kimber:
- faster barrel twists across the board.
- longer mag box (at least in short action, not sure about LA) so you can load COAL to let bullets touch or come close to lands and still feed from mag.
- Individually bedded actions.
- Uses larger #8 scope mount screws
- Extra mount screw location on front receiver ring, giving you 2 different mount positions should you need for ring spacing.
- Bolt operation maybe a little smoother.

Kimber advantages over Fieldcraft:
- Greater selection of chamberings.
- Digital camo stock finishes offered, if that is your preference
- Has 3 position safety with locked bolt position.
- Greater selection of scope mount offerings, at this time.
- Less expensive.

Kimber is a CRF Mauser-esque claw extractor action, and Barrett action is a push feed, plunger ejection style action. I personally don’t care either way, as both work fine. On a blind mag rifle, I slightly prefer the CRF action when unloading live rounds from the magazine for reasons that are easier to demonstrate than describe.

Both weigh about the same, which is to say SUPER light.
Both have great quality stocks with ergos I like, well finished. Both are carbon fiber construction.
Both have excellent triggers. Trigger is slightly better (lighter) on Barrett out of the box, but both are adjustable.
Both have equally nice balance and handling.

Aside from the Barrett having better (faster) twists and longer mag box, it comes down to personal aesthetic preferences.
Ted

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2017 at 05:11
Longer mag box.
Ted

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2017 at 21:02
Is it a longer action? Or a longer magazine box?
nralifer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nralifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2017 at 20:33
Ted, agree completely with you about barrel twists.  Also magazine internal length is also a consideration with long ogive bullets. They require longer overall length. Kimber short action has also a short magazine making it difficult to use long ogive bullets. 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2017 at 17:47
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

George, I just bought a Fieldcraft in 7-08 (which will no doubt come as a big surprise to many here) a couple weeks ago, and I really like this rifle! I like it even better than the NULA/Forbes that inspired its design, as the action is a slight enhancement of the NULA, and unlike the NULA, it has an NP3 coated action and stainless barrel. It comes out of the box with proper barrel twists for today's high BC bullets, SUPERB trigger, smooth operating bolt, extremely light weight, nice stock ergos, probably the best factory bedding job I've ever seen, and fit and finish is outstanding! I'm not aware of any other out of the box factory rifle that's lighter. The only modification I've made to mine is to lower the trigger pull from around 3 lbs to 2 lbs. My only complaint is that it has a bit excessive throat length, so despite its 3" mag box, I still can't seat bullets out close to or touching the lands and still feed from the box. However, it does shoot well. So far, the only bullet I've tested in it has been your 145 gr Bulldozer, the only powder tested being Varget. I've been able to get sub-MOA 5-shot groups, with the best hovering around 0.75 MOA. Load testing is ongoing, but I'm still happy with the precision I'm getting, and if I don't beat 0.75 MOA this week experimenting with different powders and OALs, I'll happily deer hunt this season with my existing load of 40.5 gr Varget behind the 145BD. 

It's a great little rifle IMO!

I thought you'd go for a more interesting caliber, like 7mm SAW...

Either way, a a lightweight hunting rifle, is it a better option than the Kimber you have?

ILya
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2017 at 09:28
Especially given that Sako and Tikka are both made in the same building.

To the slow twist point, European rifle manufacturers in general are behind the times on barrel twists. They stubbornly cling to the same slow twist rates that were considered the norm 30 years ago. It boggles my mind that they are so boneheaded. There is no disadvantage to fast twist with todays bullets. It doesn’t cost more and it gives the shooter a wider selection of bullets that shoot well. A fast twist can still shoot short, light bullets well, but a slow twist usually doesn’t shoot long bullets well. I don’t get it; why limit your potential customers? People who actually shoot will usually prefer a faster twist, and Joe Average who shoots half a box of ammo a year checking their gun’s zero won’t care about barrel twist or even know the difference.
Ted

HKtoTikka View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HKtoTikka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2017 at 07:48
Originally posted by nralifer nralifer wrote:

I'm surprised Tikka has not put Sako out of business. Their actions and rifles are every bit as good as Sako functionally, but less fancy and significantly less expensive. My problem with Tikka is that in 30 caliber they like to use 1:11 twist barrels which kind of limits the use of long bullets.

Tikka won't put Sako out of business, the same way Chevy won't put Cadillac out of business.
nralifer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nralifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2017 at 18:23
That 145BD is a heck of a bullet. Friend in town guided a Moose hunt in Alaska about a month ago. From a 7 Mag his client killed a 1500 lb bull with a single shot at 300 yds. The bullet went through the Lt shoulder and the animal dropped within 25 yds. Bullet went through but obviously expanded when they dressed the bull out. Surprised me. 

The action is very smooth and the trigger is excellent I think

Edited by nralifer - November/18/2017 at 18:29
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2017 at 09:16
Forgot to update...in my last post, I stated I was unable to load OAL to touch lands and still feed from the magazine. This is incorrect. I misread results from my Stoney Point gauge, confirmed with a dummy round. I sometimes get a little ham-handed with the Stoney Pioint. Actually, a 145 Bulldozer touches lands at 2.950” COAL, and the Fieldcraft has a 3.0” mag box length.

The Fieldcraft is gonna get it’s share of hunting time this season. I’m really liking its balance, stock ergos, and trigger!
Ted

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2017 at 15:51
Good press on the Fieldcraft Winkle!👍💥
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2017 at 12:55
George, I just bought a Fieldcraft in 7-08 (which will no doubt come as a big surprise to many here) a couple weeks ago, and I really like this rifle! I like it even better than the NULA/Forbes that inspired its design, as the action is a slight enhancement of the NULA, and unlike the NULA, it has an NP3 coated action and stainless barrel. It comes out of the box with proper barrel twists for today's high BC bullets, SUPERB trigger, smooth operating bolt, extremely light weight, nice stock ergos, probably the best factory bedding job I've ever seen, and fit and finish is outstanding! I'm not aware of any other out of the box factory rifle that's lighter. The only modification I've made to mine is to lower the trigger pull from around 3 lbs to 2 lbs. My only complaint is that it has a bit excessive throat length, so despite its 3" mag box, I still can't seat bullets out close to or touching the lands and still feed from the box. However, it does shoot well. So far, the only bullet I've tested in it has been your 145 gr Bulldozer, the only powder tested being Varget. I've been able to get sub-MOA 5-shot groups, with the best hovering around 0.75 MOA. Load testing is ongoing, but I'm still happy with the precision I'm getting, and if I don't beat 0.75 MOA this week experimenting with different powders and OALs, I'll happily deer hunt this season with my existing load of 40.5 gr Varget behind the 145BD. 

It's a great little rifle IMO!
Ted

nralifer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nralifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 17:56
Was a Remington case that originally was factory loaded with a Cor-Lokt bullet.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 16:33
That case neck looks crimped, is why I asked. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
nralifer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nralifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 15:54
Can't really crimp the copper bullets.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 06:53
Originally posted by nralifer nralifer wrote:

Thanks Mark. 👍 Average MV was 2872 fps.   

You're welcome. 

Do you crimp your cases?  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic