OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Barrett Fieldcraft Rifle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nralifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barrett Fieldcraft Rifle
    Posted: May/14/2017 at 20:34
Wanted to see if anyone has looked at the new hunting rifle from Barrett. I ordered one in 30-06. Comes as a package. Has Tally rings and mounts, a carbon fiber stock with cheek piece, push feed action in short and long lengths. Mine was the long action. Holds four shells in an internal mag that will accommodate  rounds up to 3.375 inches long, a Nightforce SHV 42mm 3-10 power, scope covers, and in 30-06 a 24" 1:10 twist 6 grove barrel in stainless. Weighs 7 lbs unloaded. For $1800 I thought it was a decent value.  Worked up a load for it today using the 168gr Badlands Bulldozer. H4350 worked the best.  Got 0.355" 3 shot group, with a fourth shot free hand standing that hit within 1/2 inch of the group. Using 57 gr H4350 I got an average MV of 2872 fps.  The Bulldozer under todays conditions would stay supersonic to 1400 yds.
It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed. TR
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2017 at 07:51
I was interested when they said they would have some models with the bolt handle on the  correct side. Now that they have put that off, not so much.
nralifer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nralifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2017 at 09:28
It is on the "right" side. Lol😊
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2017 at 14:25
👍🥃💥
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2017 at 16:56
Looks comparable to a Sako Carbonlight...for about a grand less. Not bad. Of course I've been pretty happy with my Tikka T3 Lite with a Manners stock it's not heavy. I'd like the better mounting options for the Barrett though.
Reaction time is a factor...
nralifer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nralifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2017 at 04:55
Since my gun was a package deal and had the scope already mounted, I did not realize that the gun has three mounting screw holes on the front end of the receiver (best explained on the Barrett web site). They look like they are equally spaced and probably spaced to fit Talley bases. This configuration allows one to adjust the location of the front rings depending on the scope to be used. Screws used are #8-40. Kind of unique feature.

I'm surprised Tikka has not put Sako out of business. Their actions and rifles are every bit as good as Sako functionally, but less fancy and significantly less expensive. My problem with Tikka is that in 30 caliber they like to use 1:11 twist barrels which kind of limits the use of long bullets.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2017 at 07:53
My obermyer barrel has an 11" twist. It shoots 175, 180, and 190s extremly well. Before that i had a lilja with 11" twist and it shot all those bery well too.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
hatton mann View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatton mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2017 at 22:22
Just tried calling up 'Badlands Precision', unfortunately, it appears they can't afford a web-site,,,Sad
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2017 at 11:26
Originally posted by nralifer nralifer wrote:

My problem with Tikka is that in 30 caliber they like to use 1:11 twist barrels which kind of limits the use of long bullets.

I haven't really put mine to the test with anything long. When it comes time to rebarrel though I'll probably get one of these Criterions: http://criterionbarrels.com/tikka-t3-and-t3x-prefit-barrels - 1:10 isn't much difference but a bit better.
Reaction time is a factor...
nralifer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nralifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2017 at 20:55
Originally posted by hatton mann hatton mann wrote:

Just tried calling up 'Badlands Precision', unfortunately, it appears they can't afford a web-site,,,Sad

Try searching badlandsprecision.com 
It comes up as Badlands Precision LLC
nralifer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nralifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2017 at 21:36
One thing about bullet stability, is that they tend to lose some stability in cold air and high barometric pressure, that is the stability factor decreases.  Just play with the JBM stability calculator and vary the air temp. Also a marginally stable bullet may group well at a 100 yds in the summer but start to tumble at 300-500 yd in the winter. 
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatton mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2017 at 20:59
nralifer & supertool, thanks for the in-put.
When I tried looking them up, all I hit was their Face Page page.
I don't do social media.

Thanks Again
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2017 at 21:34
Originally posted by nralifer nralifer wrote:

Originally posted by hatton mann hatton mann wrote:

Try searching badlandsprecision.com 
It comes up as Badlands Precision LLC

I just cut and pasted the link badlandsprecision.com and it went to their site.

nralifer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nralifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2017 at 04:57
Tried to post a pic of the group. Not working. Can someone help?Loco
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2017 at 07:42
PM inbound

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatton mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2017 at 11:30
Let me be clear, the links/info provided by fellow members have proven effective.

Thanks again.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2017 at 18:30
I put badlandsprecision.com in the address bar and it went to their site. I did not use it to search for their site. Or you could call them at  1(605)665-1339.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2017 at 18:00
Posting for NRAlifer....

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
nralifer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nralifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2017 at 18:31
Thanks Mark. 👍 Average MV was 2872 fps.   
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 04:40
Very nice 👍💥
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic