OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

PRS amateur div. scopes/old eyes/best under 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knorseman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PRS amateur div. scopes/old eyes/best under 2
    Posted: May/17/2017 at 10:47
New member here. 
Need help trying to decipher what a quality scope under the 2k limit in this series I might find. Amassing as much info on many, yet without plunking down the coin. I have read some of the forum material surrounding the swfa ss 5-20-50. I would prefer a reticle that isn't too busy, easy enough to bring on target and sturdy. They say I would be grandfathered in on msrp pricing. The thing with msrp is it isn't true to actual retail form. So to find something in the 2400 with actual 2k, it might seem then I would be able to obtain a slightly higher quality scope. Non the less, with all the folks on this sight, I am hopeful in acquiring at least some insight into what they feel will be the best bang for my buck. Like some say if you need a heart transplant don't see your mechanic. So here I am folks, I've come to where folks know their stuff.Loco  
Make a decision, live with it.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2017 at 12:40
For around $2K, you should be looking at Steiner T5Xi, but you need to see if the SCR reticle will work for you.

Vortex Razor Gen 2 4.7-27x56 is always a good choice and you can often find a used one that will be in your price range.

Moving down toward the $1500 mark, your best bet is SWFA SS 5-20x50.  Its only real downside is lack of a zero stop.

If you insist in all the features on a bit mroe of a budget, consider Burris XTR II 5-25x50and Vortex PST Gen II 5-25x50

Optically, they will not be as good as the higher end stuff, but they have well engineered turrets, zero-stop, etc.

Lastly, Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 is a very nice scope that is in your price range, the reticle might be busier than you like.

ILya
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2017 at 17:33
Good recommendations above.  I'm a big fan of the Razor Gen 2 despite its weight and fast becoming one on the Steiner.

For $2K you can get in to a March 3-24x42, although smaller objective size may be a negative for you and does not have illumination.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2017 at 18:14
The big issue I had with the 5-20 was that above about 15X, it gave me headaches to sit behind for long. I had eye strain issues with that scope, not sure why.

The reticle isn't my favorite, illumination is okay but not great, and it is a good scope for the price.

If you can find an old Premier 3-15, it is an awesome scope - with no warranty.

Avoid Kahles 6-24, especially gen1 and gen2.

Of those mentioned, I am a fan of the vortex gen2 HD.

If $2k is firm and the range is pretty firm, SS 5-20 is a very good scope. If you can stretch to $2500 or $3000, it changes a bit.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2017 at 05:53

Welcome to OT.  How are things in Yakima these days?  Have not been there in a while. 

What is your primary intended purpose for the scope?  March was suggested above, FINE scope.  They also make a 2.5-25x42 SFP that is excellent and in your price range.  It is not illuminated, if that is important, but the glass is superior.  I have the 3-24x42, illuminated, and am very happy with it.  There is a bit of tunneling, small, in all the March scopes I've looked through, except the fixed powers, and eyebox is "critical".  There are no showstoppers with March. 

All of the suggestions above are great.  Picking "the right" scope is a wearing, but ultimately satisfying, task.

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
knorseman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knorseman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2017 at 23:02
Thanks for the replies. I haven't pursued all that have been mentioned, though am working through the ones I haven't considered. My intent is to do matches, possibly with the PRS series. Have looked at their classification based on skill levels and it would seem best if I started out at the bottom of the pile. That being said, the allowance for a rifle is no more than 2k msrp all production, no mods, scope, 2k. I can contend in an open non-member status and use probably what I bring. If my initial scores through several matches don't keep me out of the amateur division then I couldn't run gear out of that class. I recently purchased the bergara b14 bmp in 6.5 cm. I went through many months of compiling pros and cons to many a firearm, this one just seems to carry with what I might need. Yes, it is heavy, 11lbs without any. Now add a bipod and scope, may be looking at around 14. I haven't put a round through it yet, but it seems to feel right. I wasn't able to handle one beforehand so was taking a chance on fit and feel. Here's the orange peel to this equation, I was brought up iron sights only, we never did more three to six shots to sight in as ammo was always expensive in the sixties. Am I out of my zone to say I can be an accomplished marksman with a scope? Can't say, but since I've worked my entire life supporting others, I feel now's the time to possibly enjoy some small fruits of my wrath. 
 Yakima is where I came across my now wife in 1972, it has always seemed like home. Born and raised in Alaska, but most everywhere one goes nowadays, very few places seem disconnected and real. I will look into the March as others, my concern is mostly my ability to focus, and fairly fast. Macular degeneration runs within my heritage, so I've in the neighborhood of 15 yrs to have some fun, and at 61 now, that may be a bit shorter.....Thanks to all have posted....best regards
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2017 at 07:02

Interesting course of fire.  Sounds like fun.

Good to have you aboard.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2017 at 07:28
Welcome to Optics Talk. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2017 at 11:44
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

If you can find an old Premier 3-15, it is an awesome scope - with no warranty.

Came across a Premier 3-15x50 Tactical Gen II XR for $1850.  Worthwhile?

Described as used in great condition and pictures seem to support that.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2017 at 11:56
Heritage or Light?

Do you have the link?The short answer is "it depends."

I have one of the first Heritage 3-15s and still love it.  The clicks are closely spaced and if you overtorque the rings, the parallax freezes up, but the glass is awesome, the clicks are repeatable, and I have it in Badger rings torqued to 15in/pounds, so all is well.

There is no warranty, that's the real kicker.

If it is the Light tactical, it is a good scope but has limited elevation travel.

Pics will help, and a description.
knorseman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knorseman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2017 at 23:25
Premier? I was wondering on the short side may be beneficial as the 3. Some of the matches incorporate 25 to 1200 yards. Would this be a good fit? Will do some research. Thank you. Like most, looking for a good warranty and sturdiness of the product. I am still going the information growing pains associated with something new. This is why I've come here, to get the best info veteran shooters have walking knowledge of. Definitely be interested in this. 
Thanks, Marine 24
Best regards 
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2017 at 07:34
Premier Heritage

Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2017 at 07:35
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2017 at 07:44

Nice looking rifle and the scope should be a great addition.  What exactly are you shooting there?

Originally posted by Marine24 Marine24 wrote:

Premier Heritage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2017 at 13:05
Looks like a Tikka T3 in a Whiskey chassis. I have the same setup in 243AI and love it.

On the scope, there is not warranty. Say again, no warranty. That's the gamble. I think Tangent Theta made some commitment to do something, do not recall exactly what, but expecting zero support means you won't be disappointed and you might be pleasantly surprised.

I don't think parallax goes down to 25 yards, will have to look that up. For the really close stuff (10 yard range) the S&B really shines, and you might find a used one in that price range, maybe.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2017 at 13:44
Premier scopes that were purchased through Armament are still supported, I think.

ILya
bigredhemi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredhemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2017 at 00:15
Hi - I was making a purchase on SWFA and I noticed that this discussion was featured. My health is poor so I can't participate in PRS so I'm limited to benchrest. I did a lot of research but really, and thankfully, there are members and moderators here that really know their stuff through experience that helped me make a decision.

Here are a couple of links that may be helpful, not necessarily to purchase a particular model but convey a lot of useful info that may help with making a decision.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2017/03/03/long-range-scopes-pros-use/
a lot of onfo about everything PRS

https://forum.snipershide.com/forum/sniper%C2%92s-hide%C2%AE-armory-supply/sniper-s-hide-rifle-scopes/6254500-killswitch-s-scope-tracking-tests

https://forum.snipershide.com/forum/sniper%C2%92s-hide%C2%AE-armory-supply/sniper-s-hide-rifle-scopes

https://forum.snipershide.com/forum/sniper%C2%92s-hide%C2%AE-armory-supply/sniper-s-hide-rifle-scopes/6254500-killswitch-s-scope-tracking-tests

I have a friend at the club who is a registered benchrest competitor - ranked pretty high in the country. Ben is friends with Larry Boers who just shot a world record 100 yard 10 shot group of 0.095"! No that is not a typo (not using a rail gun either. Front rest and rear bag only). I have learned a lot from Ben who has 20+ scopes 30+ years of experience and the ones he talks about most are the Sightrons. (He has 3 of them, he loves the performance vs. value). But we're talking benchrest and not PRS, although Sightron may have a couple that would work well with PRS especially their FFP models. Just a thought. 

Hope this is helpful. good luck, and have fun.
I really wish I could participate in PRS - it looks like so much fun. Benchrest is sometimes boring, mostly frustrating, and almost always tedious.

Pass The Ammo...
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2017 at 10:23
My advise to a shooter that is not only new to the sport but also optics, would be to choose field of view over magnification.
The single hardest part for new shooters, is finding the targets, especially after they get leaded up from hits. God glass helps
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2017 at 10:42
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

My advise to a shooter that is not only new to the sport but also optics, would be to choose field of view over magnification.
The single hardest part for new shooters, is finding the targets, especially after they get leaded up from hits. God glass helps

American Flag
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2017 at 16:48
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

. God glass helps

There are definitely times when I think, "Man, could I use some God glass right now!"

Usually after a bad shot.  Strange how we never say that after a good shot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic