OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

PRS amateur div. scopes/old eyes/best under 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2017 at 09:56
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

. God glass helps

There are definitely times when I think, "Man, could I use some God glass right now!"

Usually after a bad shot.  Strange how we never say that after a good shot.

And to think; I blamed it on drinking a cup of coffee before I started shootingBig Grin
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2017 at 16:44
I have always wanted "God"glass but always had to settle for really good for the price!
The run away favorite that I have seen at prs matches has been the gen 2 razor from Vortex. This is both because of the support Vortex gives the shooting community, and because they are really good optics. Usually it's pretty even numbers of the tier one optics after them. My match rifle wears an SS 5-20 and I have shot a few local matches with a SS 3-15. Both did great, the better color rendition, and better contrast of the 5-20 does help dig out targets though.
I have looked through a bunch of different scopes and to this day the only one that made say "holy sh*t, that's nice"without remembering the price tag was the Hendsolt 4-16x50. Those are cool!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
knorseman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knorseman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2017 at 10:18
Wish I could get the razor gen 2, but out of accepted price range. I am trying to slip in a couple of local matches before laying out the coin. Merely in hopefully aquiring some much needed observation and some possible looking through folks different scopes to see for myself, what my eyes tell me.

Thanks to all who have seen their way into this topic and have offered so much information. I believe the wider field of view is something I need to pursue regardless.  
Make a decision, live with it.
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2017 at 11:23
Knorseman, it sounds like you have a local group that puts on these matches. I would suggest contacting them, Facebook is awesome for this, and find out when there practice days are. Most are extremely helpful to the new shooter, but at a match,points ate probably on the line.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
knorseman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knorseman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2017 at 07:09
bigredhemi; Thanks for the uplinks. The Anthlon Cronus looks to be a serious contender. This will have all of the scope manufacturers doing the "Scoobee Do" reverb in a short order. Thanks!Smile
knorseman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knorseman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2017 at 07:36
Thank-you billburl2; yes there is a group here in Yakima that sponsors a few matches a year. I will be trying to get in their next match I believe around the 10th of June. Weekends seem to be a tough swing for me in the summer months. Work in Issaquah during the week and now paving season is here, most likely Saturdys as well. Trying to only bite off as much as I can chew at any one given time. Thanks!
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2017 at 09:59
I have shot a few of the PRS matches and a few PRS style matches.  Here are my observations from my experience.  I have never shot a match above 15x or so.  I have several March scopes in the 3-24 varieties, as well as a SS 5-20, SS 3-15, Kahles 3-12, Z6 2.5-15 (not a match scope unless you are into holdover).  If you are in a match that you have to spot your misses, I have found that lower power is better.  I personally would find the best scope that tops out around 15x and run with it.

Last match I shot with the Kahles on a 22-250.  Shot the match at 12x and never really wanted more even at 1000 yards.  Again, just my opinion.  

I myself would like to sell off both march scopes and get one Premeir 3-15 and a Kahles 6-24
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2017 at 18:17
I wouldn't get the Kahles 6-24, but agree on all else.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2017 at 20:58
Helo, try Tangent Theta TT315M.

You'll like it.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2017 at 21:02
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Helo, try Tangent Theta TT315M.

You'll like it.
I've used that scope and I have to disagree with ILya…

You'll LOVE it...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2017 at 21:11
I will have to look at the Tangent.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Lennyo3034 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lennyo3034 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2017 at 09:10
PRS production division puts a hard cap on the MSRP price of a scope. Key word being MSRP as based on the manufacturer website. The gen 2 Razor has an MSRP of $3500. T5xi at $2300. Etc. How much you can actually buy the scope for has no bearing for the competition rules. Really the only scope listed that actually qualifies is the SWFA 5-20.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic