OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Red dot sight dot size comparison

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikhail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red dot sight dot size comparison
    Posted: May/24/2017 at 19:40
Im going to buy a Vortex sight for my Ar very soon but im not sure if i want the Strikefire 2 or the Sparc ii. The Strikefire 2 has a 4 moa dot size and the Sparc ii has a 2 moa dot size and thats where im stuck at. So tell me what you folks think. On an AR platform rifle what size moa do yall like your red dot sight to be?
I use my CB and my AR mostly for fun. Still waiting on society to goto hell to use em for survival!!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2017 at 19:52
I like my red dots to be 1MOA, whether on ARs, pistols, shotguns, whatever. As long as I can readily see the dot, I don't want it to subtend any more of the target than necessary. I can pick up a 1MOA dot just as fast as a 7MOA dot, and still shoot with greater precision on slower, more deliberate shots when circumstances warrant. This is why I like the Trijicon RMR LED version; it's available with 1MOA dot.

Between those two, I'd choose the 2MOA, all else being equal on model comparison.

But, that's me.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
squee116 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squee116 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2017 at 20:01
On an AR, I imagine smaller is generally better.  Unlike a pistol or shotgun, your engagement distances can be pretty vast, and your targets can seem mighty small.  I imagine the extra bit of precision would be worthwhile.  It's one reason I love the Eotech reticle so much, nevermind the egregious weight and battery life, which kill the sight for me.
Mikhail View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikhail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2017 at 22:38
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I like my red dots to be 1MOA, whether on ARs, pistols, shotguns, whatever. As long as I can readily see the dot, I don't want it to subtend any more of the target than necessary. I can pick up a 1MOA dot just as fast as a 7MOA dot, and still shoot with greater precision on slower, more deliberate shots when circumstances warrant. This is why I like the Trijicon RMR LED version; it's available with 1MOA dot.

Between those two, I'd choose the 2MOA, all else being equal on model comparison.

But, that's me.

Your last sentence got me to thinking more. I went back and did a side by side comparison of the 2 sights and while between the two there was everything i wanted in a red dot sight they neither one had the features i wanted by themselves.
At the moment i am looking at many many others. Thanks for triggering my mind to think again
I use my CB and my AR mostly for fun. Still waiting on society to goto hell to use em for survival!!
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2017 at 10:25
The large 4MOA dot is why I sold my Strikefire 2 and bought a 1-6 scope with illuminated reticle.  The dot in the middle is 0.5MIL or 1.8MOA.  If you are only considering the 2 choices given, I'd choose the Spark.
Stamp collecting since 2015
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2017 at 10:28
I much prefer 2 moa dots vs the 4.  I prefer the smaller aiming point for precision.

Take a look at Holosun red dot sights.  They have quite a few models now with different dots and reticles.  I have had one for a while now and I really like it, for $200 its is fantastic.  I have a Sparc2 and IMO the holosun is better in every way.  They also have a 5 year battery life similar to Aimpoints. 

Edited by supertool73 - May/25/2017 at 10:35
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Mikhail View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikhail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2017 at 11:47
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I much prefer 2 moa dots vs the 4.  I prefer the smaller aiming point for precision.

Take a look at Holosun red dot sights.  They have quite a few models now with different dots and reticles.  I have had one for a while now and I really like it, for $200 its is fantastic.  I have a Sparc2 and IMO the holosun is better in every way.  They also have a 5 year battery life similar to Aimpoints. 

I have been looking at Holsun and Sig Sauer ALOT. Especially since i realized neither of the Vortex sights had all the features i wanted. Im leaning towards the Sig Sauer Romeo5. It has a 2MOA dot, brightness settings which are night vision applicable, motion activated power on, 40,000 hour battery life and it comes with extra mounts for different applications like co-witness an AK or an AR. Holsun has pretty much the same features also but OpticPlanet is selling the Sig for only $149.00. Hopefully the sale will last til payday on the 1st, LOL!
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2017 at 13:05
Sigs are Holosun, so same optic except for cosmetics.  $150 is a good price.

Edited by supertool73 - May/25/2017 at 14:35
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2017 at 14:15
In the same size, etc of Sig and Holosun, also consider Hi-Lux MM2.  On the Vortex side, the sight to look at is Sparc AR.

I have a lot of hands on time with all of these and like them a fair bit.  The choice sorta comes down to what you like. They are all related designs. 

If it were my money, I would probably be looking at the MM2: https://swfa.com/leatherwood-1x20-mm-2-digital-red-dot-sight-1.html  since the way the riser mount is set up, I have the least obstructed view.

On dot size: for distances where I use a red dot, both 2MOA and $MOA works fine.  If you have astigmatism, the dot might look a little sharper when it is larger, so make sure you get some hands on time with the sights.

If you decide to spend a little more money, I am testing Shield SIS right now and it has a lot to recommend itself.  It might be the most rugged red dot I have seen yet.

ILya
Mikhail View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikhail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 17:29
Koshkin i did not know Holsun and Sig were the same company. I did notice the similarities in the two but thats all i did.
I checked out the Hi-Lux and the Shield SIS also and they look great. Still i think im going to get the Sig Romeo5 since it has every option that i want in a red dot except multiple reticles. I do like to have a choice in reticles and really like the ones with the outer circle and an inner dot but its not a deal breaker for me. I may change my mind if i find one with all the options of the Romeo 5, multiple reticles and a decent price. Either way im going to order mine next week.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 22:05
I like the Aimpoint 2 MOA sights  The 9000L will mount in 30mm mounts

ss ar15 mount'

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 22:10
Aimpoint does not need to have the red dot centered in the field of view.  If the dot is on the target it is correct. Its a patented system that works very well.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 23:48
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Aimpoint does not need to have the red dot centered in the field of view.  If the dot is on the target it is correct. Its a patented system that works very well.

All reflex red dot sights work that same way.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2017 at 00:29
Originally posted by Mikhail Mikhail wrote:

Koshkin i did not know Holsun and Sig were the same company. I did notice the similarities in the two but thats all i did.
I checked out the Hi-Lux and the Shield SIS also and they look great. Still i think im going to get the Sig Romeo5 since it has every option that i want in a red dot except multiple reticles. I do like to have a choice in reticles and really like the ones with the outer circle and an inner dot but its not a deal breaker for me. I may change my mind if i find one with all the options of the Romeo 5, multiple reticles and a decent price. Either way im going to order mine next week.

They are not the same company.

Many companies use the same OEM.

ILya
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2017 at 17:06

I Have a couple that do NOT. They may now but they did not do that 10 years ago.  You can lay one on something solid move around behind it and watch the dot shift from one location to another as your head moves. Centered they are consistent not centered they are off.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2017 at 18:11
At what distance?
Mikhail View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikhail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2017 at 17:33
Shopping for a red dot sight is worse than hunting your wife a Valentine gift. You see hundreds of em with some of the features you want but none with all the features. Well thats not quite true since ive ran across several with every feature i want except build quality. It appears alot of the cheap sights are packed with features but i dont trust their ability to hold up over time.
Heres what i want in a red dot sight.
Tube design
red/green color choice
dot circle and dot reticle
1-2 MOA dot size
Night vision compatible
co-witness capable
lifetime warranty
a price below $300
I dont think thats too much to ask. I did find a very good deal on Holsuns PARALOW HS503CU for $189.99. Its usually advertised at around $280. Heres that link if anyones interested.
https://www.classicfirearms.com/holosun-paralow-circle-red-dot-black-housing-holo-hs503cu
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2017 at 22:57
I have no first hand experience with the solar holosuns. But i have read when shooting from a shaded or darker area into bright areas it is an issue. They are to dim. They adjust brightness automatically based on the light the optic is sensing.

I also read that can be turned off and set to manual. Might be something you want to look into more though.

Mikhail View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikhail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2017 at 04:27
I read probably the same article which you did on the Holosuns. I kept looking and finally found another which said the auto brightness can be set to manual if desired. I dont know which one ill buy to be honest. Looked in to a ton of different sights lately. Heck SunOptics has a pretty decent setup to but then so do so many others. Thanks for the input though
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2017 at 11:15

I Have a couple that do NOT. They may now but they did not do that 10 years ago.  You can lay one on something solid move around behind it and watch the dot shift from one location to another as your head moves. Centered they are consistent not centered they are off.

My StrikefireII is only parallax free after 50 yards. The newer Sparc is totally parallax free,not sure about the other sights being discussed in this thread.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic