OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Off the ledge or jump?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Off the ledge or jump?
    Posted: May/26/2017 at 07:42
To start: I love my 16" AR10, it thumps, it is accurate enough, it throws a pill I respect, and gives me a kill radius of about 500 yards - and confidence in that 500 yards.

That said, a 6.5Creedmore AR is calling my name, specifically a Seekins, on sale now at SWFA.  I have never reloaded for the caliber, but have all the components and dies to do so, and have never shot the caliber - but did own a kick-ass 260Remmy that I foolishly sold.

To buy or not to buy?

In the semi-auto category, I have a plethora of 5.56s and the one 308.  Admittedly, I am a bit lacking in semi autos.

I do have a 243AI bolt gun (an absolute laser and one of the most gentle-shooting guns I've ever seen with an effective range of 1000+ yards), so sub-30-cal is intriguing but not really a glaring omission from the arsenal.

"Need" is a relative term.  I might "need" a 6.5CM, but certainly my wife does not "need" to know, so lets keep this just between us, on this public forum, on the world wide web.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 07:53
I sent my .308 barrel back and ordered a 6.5 creed barrel for my ar-10. I just couldn't get over wanting one.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 11:05
GO FOR IT!!
I'm in the process of building one right now.  It's a fantastic caliber and you can now reload with better Lapua brass.
Stamp collecting since 2015
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 11:24
Um...Isn't asking this place if you should purchase a new firearm, like asking a dairy farmer if you should drink milk? Big Grin  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 12:45
I think of this group more as the "keys to the nuthouse residents" crowd.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 13:57
Buy grass hopper, BuY....
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 14:46

I have a buddy who just bought one... he loves it.

I said all that to say "buy it"...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 16:47
New York is blackgun unfriendly and I'm old and a traditionalist hence the bolt action propensities.

That being said my better half was shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor two years before I purchased mine.

I can see a 6.5 - 284 Norma in my future due to my Norma connection.

When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Mikhail View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikhail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 17:23
I was all ways taught that need is the deciding factor for any purchase i made in my life. My dad taught me this. He said Mike you may want a new 4x4 with big tires and a loud radio but do you need it. He taught me to think this way in any part of my life where i was spending money. Then he told me that guns were not included in that category. He said to want a gun is enough reason to go out and get it just be sure my new gun didnt stop me from taking care of my self and my family.
I will assume you can pay all your bills and your family eats regular. If so go get the dam gun.
I use my CB and my AR mostly for fun. Still waiting on society to goto hell to use em for survival!!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 17:29
^^^^^^^
Wise words!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 17:31
The 6.5 Creed does well at 1000 yards with a long barrel. If you drop back to a 16" barrel There is a sizeable velocity drop. Not that much of a problem shooting steel. That bullet, less the velocity, looses a lot of kill power when the range gets extended. So all depends on the use, and expected result.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 18:31
Mike, Ted, Lile, all we need is 325 or less on our lease usually far less than that where our blinds are located. The 6.5 will do the job if we do. Minute of Deer 💥🦌.

Forgot to say hers is a 20" barrel mine is 24" no problems.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 20:13
Since I can't afford one right now, GO FOR IT, and tell me how you like it, so it can be another reason for me to save my pennies.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 20:42
The Seekins 6.5 is a 22" barrel, might be a bit top-heavy for my purposes, but shorter would be a waste with that caliber.

Will let you guys know.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 21:50
http://rifleshooter.com/2016/02/6-5-creedmoor-effect-of-barrel-length-on-velocity-cutting-up-a
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 22:23
Rancid I would say that if you are looking for an AR based heavy caliber rifle and you had a NEMO in one hand and the 6.5 CM in the other which one would you be more comfortable with?  There in lies your answer.

I don't have a 6.5 CM (not that I wouldn't like one), but I don't have a GAllil .308 pistol either and they are way cool, while I'm at it an H&K 45 would be nice too Fish.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2017 at 19:45
I have an HK45 and really like it, recoil is surprising mild, the plastic soaks up the flex.

And the 6.5CM is inbound. It will replace the Tikka CTR in a McMillan, meaning I have a 308 Tikks CTR in a McMillan, if anyone is in need.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2017 at 11:23
I love my Creed bolt gun. Easy to load for. Factory ammo is great and getting much more plentiful. An AR would be great in this cartridge, but for me anyway that's going to have to wait a bit.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2017 at 16:36
Good deal. 

I'm being seduced by this caliber myself. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2017 at 16:49
Had I not sold my 260 Remington bolt gun, I would have no need of a 6.5 AR, so...not so stupid after all, huh!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic