OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Off the ledge or jump?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2017 at 16:55
You still have that 40x lefty, RC? 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2017 at 19:20
I do.

It hasn't been out of the safe in a few years, probably.

But I love that gun too much to get rid of it. I've stilll not seems another lefty 40X in 7.62.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2017 at 03:11
I got dibs on her...when/if you ever want to make some room in the old gun safe.  

Mrs. Coolaide may well be pleased also with it's departure and consider it "progress". 
(That addition by subtraction thingy they seem to relish in.)  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2017 at 09:09
Actuallly, I traded a prior rifle - that she gave me - to make room for the 40X. So it's like I cheated on her, and still keep the other one around.

So, yea, she wouldn't be heartbroken if it was no longer here.

And I'll keep that in mind.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2017 at 09:53
I don't own any semi-auto that shoots less than 6.8 SPC but I can say I still like having an "intermediate" AR...enough bullet to hunt with well for deer and maybe elk with the right load. What's always been a drawback is loading for yet another caliber. With limited time (or is it just laziness?) and having found a .308 load that works well in everything I own, it's always appealing to keep the same dies set in the press, the same powder and same bullet ready to go.

Now I've gone and made it worse by building a 6-lb .308 AR that may become my favorite rifle of all time. And that's after some initial teething problems that made me question my sanity at first. I've gotta get some details/pics up soon.
Reaction time is a factor...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2017 at 18:34
Look forward to seeing your new rigs, Gents.   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2017 at 18:58
Mine is shipped, in hand probably Thursday.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2017 at 09:22
I used to say hold off on the 6.5 Creedmoor, but now that I have seen ammo for it even in the little shops in the middle of nowhere Montana, I would say there is no reason not to.  I am in the process of building an AR-10 for a guy at work (and yes, I do have a manufacturing FFL) and he wanted a 6.5 CM.  We went with a 20" carbon fiber barrel, but he reloads for everything, so he can probably play around and get some velocity back.  If you don't handload much, then a 22" barrel will be better for the factory loads I am guessing.  

Currently I am on a shorter barrel kick on rifles.  Just find the balance and movement better.  With the lighter stocks these days, the shorter barrel helps keep it balanced in my mind as well as being able to run a bigger contour.

This is not the setup I would personally build for myself, but it has been fun figuring out what he wants.  The rifle is not complete, but he wanted to shoot it so I took it out and we tested it some.  Still needs a dust cover and the lower, upper, and handguard will all get cerakoted blue titanium.

Edited by helo18 - June/06/2017 at 15:20
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2017 at 09:56
Interesting setup there Drew. Which Atlas bi-pod is that?
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2017 at 10:03
That is the 5-H. If is built like a tank.  If all you are going to do is prone or bench I like it, but I find it heavy and awkward for match shooting.  Could just be that I am used to the regular atlas bipods.  For a top heavy rifle, the 5-H might be better due to the wider footprint.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2017 at 10:17
I thought it looked heavy for a rifle that looked like weight savings was an issue.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2017 at 10:34
Not sure what his thinking on that was.  To me it started out as a weight saving rifle, but turned into a looks deal maybe.  I think given time he will move to a different bipod to save weight.  He is also wanting to teach his wife to shoot and thinks that the big bipod will help stabilize and add weight for recoil.  The rifle doesn't kick any more than a 223.  It is a joy to shoot.

Rancid, my apologies about the hijacking of the thread.  

GEORGE WASHINGTON
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2017 at 12:26
On the contrary Helo, I've been interested in a AR10 platform in 260Remington or 6.5 Creedmoor for some time. Your build gives me some new ideas. One of the advantages of the 6.5 is it's lower recoil, and a disadvantage of the AR10 is weight. I'd like to know how well that rig shoots.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2017 at 15:16
One item I don't personally like about this design on the upper is no forward assist.  Just my personal preference to have one.   This is the first time I have worked with any of F1 products.  

I also found that with the F1 upper and lower it is very picky about what charging handle it likes as far as fit on the back end.   Pretty tight tolerances.

This is also the first time I have used a 45 degree safety.  I really like that.  With my fat hands it is much easier to manipulate the levers on and off.

I have not weighed the rifle to see what weights are yet.  Will have to do that before I am done.  I am amazed at how heavy the BCG is.  If you ran a skeletonized version you could same so good weight there.

I am building a couple other AR-10s out of some Aero precision parts (they have some features I like) so I am curious to see how the weights come out on those (one in 308 and one 6.5 CM both with 20" barrels).

Maybe someone can point me in a good direction, but another thing on AR-10s is I haven't found a piston system for them and I am a big fan of my piston 15s.

There are plenty of good factory ARs out there.  Rancid bought one that I would lean towards if I was going to leave it factory, but I know I would want a different barrel and handguard.  I really like Seekins stuff.  I have built 4 different AR-15s on their stuff and still have two of them myself.

I guess when it comes to ARs I lean towards building it from the ground up for what I want.  If you aren't ask picky as I am in areas, the Seekins is a great way to go.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2017 at 15:20
And for the record, I don't have any AR-10s that are actually mine.  Built a few for others, but haven't taken the plunge myself.  I love my bolt guns.  I have a 260 Rem on the DTA Chassis.  A 6.5x284.  And a 6.5 grendel on the 15 platform.  Guess I just haven't seen the need to go to a 6.5 CM with the above options other than both bolt guns lack the capacity in the mag department that you can get with an AR-10.

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2017 at 18:28
I have a sig 716 and love it, just want a bit more reach than a 16" gives me.

And hijack away, good thread.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2017 at 18:47
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

On the contrary Helo, I've been interested in a AR10 platform in 260Remington or 6.5 Creedmoor for some time. Your build gives me some new ideas. One of the advantages of the 6.5 is it's lower recoil, and a disadvantage of the AR10 is weight. I'd like to know how well that rig shoots.

What is your primary use for the build?  Hunting, fun, competition, just feel the need to play around?  

My thoughts on those too calibers.  I like the speed of the 260, but you need a longer barrel (my 260 is a 26" barrel, had 130s kicking out at 3100 fps) to take advantage of the extra powder room vs the 6.5 CM.  In a 20" barrel stick with the 6.5.  Also, if you don't want to reload and want competition ammo, the 6.5 CM is better.  Not many companies make match ammo for the 260 any more.  Prime is about the best option.  There are a couple others, but more expensive.  

Another reason I like shorter barrels is I run almost all of my rifles suppressed.  Especially since Montana allows them for big game hunting.  I can run a shorter barrel, get my suppressor on and not have a broomstick sticking out a mile.

I prefer shooting suppressed, but if your ultimate goal is to minimize recoil, I find that a strait up brake seems to be better for me to stay on target.  Downside is hearing.  I prefer to hear the hits or misses (did I hit a rock, dirt, tree, etc) if I don't seem them.  Weight is also your friend in this matter.  If you don't plan on hunting with the AR-10 or walking with it much, then build without consideration to weight. 

Just a few thoughts on my side.  Others may not agree, and of course my thoughts pertain more to what I am trying to do or prefer.

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2017 at 19:40
Mine will eventually get hand loads, but I need to decide if I like it before I go to that trouble.

I also started looking for factory ammo at the local sporting goods store: no 260, no 6.5x47, plenty of 6.5CM.

I like the 22" pecker, want all the velocity I can get from a relatively light gun.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2017 at 10:19
Sexy rifle, Andrew.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2017 at 12:34
I picked it up today, it's heavier than I expected (haven't weighed it, the specs do say 10.5, that might be it.)

Everything is tight, as Seekins usually are.

Haven't decided on a scope yet, but have a few options.  I want some reach with this, but don't want it to be so heavy that it ends up staying in the safe because it is too unwieldy in the field.

A 22" barrel on an AR is a long, barrel!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic