OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Athlon Ares vs Vortex PST Gen 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tucansam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Athlon Ares vs Vortex PST Gen 2
    Posted: May/30/2017 at 19:58
I realize that getting hands on either of these scopes right now, particularly the Athlon, is a chore.

Having said that, I know there are some Ares (first run) in the hands of testers.

Has anyone compared the glass in the Ares to the PST Gen 2?

Thanks.
Mikhail View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikhail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2017 at 21:37
Ive been looking hard at buying the Athlon BTR12 red dot and your post caught my eye. Ive never used Athlon but like what ive read about them. Now i did see this add for the Athlon Ares 4,5x27x50 for $849.99 and figured id share it with you. looks like they have them in stock. Hope this is the one your intrested in.

Forum rules: do not advertise SWFA's competitors

Edited by koshkin - May/31/2017 at 01:24
I use my CB and my AR mostly for fun. Still waiting on society to goto hell to use em for survival!!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2017 at 01:25
Either way, they do not have them in stock. I talk to Athlon guys with reasonable regularity and the production Ares is not yet here (soon though).

ILya
tucansam View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tucansam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2017 at 03:54
Post for any updates folks may have.  Still on track for July shipping?
tucansam View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tucansam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2017 at 13:47
Another post to see if anyone has heard anything recently..... "August" is what was posted in another forum for the mil/mil
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2017 at 13:56
I should have an Ares in my hands in a few days.  I'll let you know what I think.

ILya
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2017 at 12:26
Alright, I just got the Athlon Ares in hand.  Initial impressions are very positive, but it is not on the gun yet.

ILya

Edited by koshkin - July/31/2017 at 16:19
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2017 at 15:53
Why not -   Roll on Floor Laughing

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2017 at 16:21
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Why not -   Roll on Floor Laughing

Every once in a while, I have to go to work and it wouldn't look quite right if I showed up with a scoped precision rifle.

And for the next wise ass: it would not be right with an unscoped one either.

ILya
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2017 at 16:24
😂🥃💥
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2017 at 18:16
Get Your Popcorn Ready
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2017 at 09:13
I have a Ares BTR 3-15x50 mounted on a Lithgow LA101 bolt action rifle.  I'm impressed with scope and it is a step up from the Midas BTR that I have.

I don't own the PST Gen 2, but it is definitely a step up from the original PST line as far as optical quality and performance.

Turrets are still the weak point.  They work fine and track well, but aren't as crisp as I would like.  Little too easy to dial.

verminator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2017 at 06:09
just thought i'd ask how does the BTR compare with the weaver tac 3-15 glass wise thanks
tucansam View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tucansam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2017 at 07:02
A few jungle store vendors have them (Ares) in stock.  Anyone got one yet?
ra2bach View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ra2bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2017 at 21:34
where did everyone go?..
ra2bach View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ra2bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2017 at 16:52
Whistling
IHFarmer07 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IHFarmer07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2017 at 10:04
Originally posted by Marine24 Marine24 wrote:

I have a Ares BTR 3-15x50 mounted on a Lithgow LA101 bolt action rifle.  I'm impressed with scope and it is a step up from the Midas BTR that I have.

I don't own the PST Gen 2, but it is definitely a step up from the original PST line as far as optical quality and performance.

Turrets are still the weak point.  They work fine and track well, but aren't as crisp as I would like.  Little too easy to dial.

I am looking into getting a scope for a rifle and was reading on this and that scope and watching YouTube videos for reviews also and came across this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC1CPPcGxm4  This is not the only video on this for these scopes and other brands as well. Let us know if it works for you.

alaska_guy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaska_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2018 at 17:47

I thought there was a thread here a while back pretty much crapping all over these Chinese brand scopes.  I have a local dealer here and I was VERY impressed with the optical quality of the Midas line for the price point.  Zooming in/out I do not get tunnel vision and overall they seem to be nicely made from the limited time I was able to handle/look at them.  He is doing a gun show today but didn't have any Ares line scopes yet.

I was actually doing a side by side with the talon line compared to the Argos line and the Talos line with the parallax adjustment seemed to be a better scope vs the standard Argos line without a parallax.  He let me take them both outside and see which one I liked better and was impressed with the Talos for the $180 price point with lighted reticle, glass and parallax option in 4-12 I believe.  It was easily better optically than some vortex scopes I paid twice that amount for.  Their Midas line is in a whole different league compared to their cheaper line ups when looking through their glass.  The midas line doesn't force you to move your cheek weld due to eye relief when zooming in and out.  It looked VERY impressive to me for the price point.

I just assumed they were a cheap Chinese scope with crappy internals and great glass so I passed.  The owner claims he shoots the argos line and has had zero issues... But I don't know how much of that is true.  He also claimed the scopes used german glass and were only assembled in China.

It's hard to find any real information on this company online yet.  

alaska_guy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaska_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2018 at 17:49
Oh, and their box looked "identical" to the Styrka brand I asked about here about a month ago.  Their logo is different, but the packaging inside and the box is EXACTLY the same.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2018 at 19:34
Surprise!
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic