OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nikon Pro Staff 5 or Vortex  HS for Antelope Hunt
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon Pro Staff 5 or Vortex HS for Antelope Hunt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon Pro Staff 5 or Vortex HS for Antelope Hunt
    Posted: June/24/2017 at 18:45
Nephew needs a scope for his 25-06. Wanted me to purchase two Vortex Razor HD LH scopes. I purchased one for me. Told him maybe a Nikon Pro Staff 5 3.5-14x40 or a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 would be good. What does our esteemed panel say?
Snack_Attack View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snack_Attack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2017 at 12:11
For me, it would be the Viper HS. I like the reticle much more. I also tend to think you get a little more for the money with Vortex. Nothing wrong with the Nikon, but the Vortex would be my choice 10/10 times.
We've become a nation of wolves ruled by sheep, owned by swine, over fed, and put to sleep.

-Otep
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2017 at 12:33
Both are pretty decent and roughly comparable.

Pick the one with the reticle you prefer.  Also, Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42 should probably be added to this list as well.

If you prefer a BDC reticle, I like Vortex's a little more.  Nikon's BDC is not my thing.  Generally, BDC reticles in SFP scopes are not my thing, but Vortex' version is workable.

If you like a plex reticle, then you need to do a little digging.  Nikon, in their infinite wisdom, wants their customers to use their Spot On ballistic calculator and does not list the actual dimensions of the reticle anywhere I can find (unless I am missing something).  There seems to be a prevalent theme among many sport optics manufacturers that their customers are all functionally retarded and can not be trusted with actual information.  They all started offering their "solvers" and I have yet to see one worth using. 

With that rant out of the way.

Vortex's V-plex is a pretty decent design with thick lines getting pretty close to the center, but from my vague recollection of the Nikoplex, it is somewhat similar.

I would have taken a good #4 over either one of these, but those are not offered.

ILya
Whale View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2017 at 14:15
I will ask my nephew to check out the vortex at the local gun store. If not I will have one mailed to him. He can return it if he doesn't like it. Thank you everyone.

Whale View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2017 at 20:12
Purchased the Vortex HS with the V-Plex reticle this afternoon for my nephew. Thank you everyone for your input. It is always appreciated.
Charles

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2017 at 17:40
Good shooting and do please report back. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Whale View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2017 at 15:27
Nephew returned the scope to me. He was not happy with the quality and it shouldn't adorn the top of his rifle. He wants a Leica ER5 or Swarovski Z5.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2017 at 17:04
While it is none of my business, I think it would be worthwhile for him to pay for the ER5 or Z5 out of his own pocket.

ILya
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2017 at 17:05
Oh, that having been said, I am testing the 2-10x50 ER5 and it is a pretty decent scope.

ILya
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2017 at 19:52
Nikons tend to be not as much internal adjustment as similar other scopes I say go with the Viper, but since he didn't like that I'm thinking Tasco.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2017 at 20:58
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

Nephew returned the scope to me. He was not happy with the quality and it shouldn't adorn the top of his rifle. He wants a Leica ER5 or Swarovski Z5.

Wow, I bet you were profoundly moved by his gratitude!

No good deed goes unpunished, eh?
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2017 at 04:30
I'm putting myself up for adoption.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2017 at 14:05

So what rifle does he have that needs a Leica or a Swarovski?
Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2017 at 19:31
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Nikons tend to be not as much internal adjustment as similar other scopes I say go with the Viper, but since he didn't like that I'm thinking Tasco.

I still use two Tascos allot.. I think Barscavettas or Bvarcaskis are higher end.
Whale View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2017 at 14:53
As I am still on vacation, I haven't decided on the scope or how much he will pay. He did learn a small lesson when he purchased the gun off of Gunbroker. Things are always as described. Also, read all the small print and see if there is an inspection period or return policy. He did informed me before the auction that it needed a new barrel and I agreed to rebarrel the gun. The end result was a Remington 700 action blueprinted/trued, McMillan stock, Bartlein barrel, Timney trigger and all metal parts have a melonite finish.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2017 at 18:14
McM, Bartlein, Timney, Melonited...very nice!!! I hope the kid learns to appreciate what a kind, generous uncle he has!!!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Whale View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2017 at 19:59
Rifledude,
You are correct. No good deed goes unpunished. I made a mistake. The rifle has a Jewell trigger.
Whale View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2017 at 20:02
Ilya,
I still don't know which scope to purchase. However, I think that he will have to pay at least 50% to 75% of the price.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2017 at 10:52

Ilya,
I still don't know which scope to purchase. However, I think that he will have to pay at least 50% to 75% of the price.

That really depends on the budget.  Besides, I am not sure that anything I would recommend can really match your nephew's lofty standards.

If you want something better than the Vortex HS/Nikon ProStaff/Burris FFII, etc, you should be jumping up to something along the lines of Vortex Razor HD LH.  The 3-15x42 is a very nice design (didn't you get one of these?) and for applications like this it has sorta become my default recommendation.

If you want the most optical quality for the money and are OK with lower magnification, try Meopta MeoPro 3-9x40.

As a general rule in the sub-$1k range, my hunting scope recommendations seem to really go one of four ways:

-If you want a general purpose hunting scope that can do everything in a pinch in a compact package, get one of the Vortex HD LH scopes (I have all three, so just pick whichever magnification range strikes your fancy).  There is some holdover in the reticle, knobs are low, but track well and the basic quality is just superb.

-If you want to get the most optics for the money in a durable package, get Meopta MeoPro 3-9x40.  It is a very basic scope and it has all the fundamentals worked out very nicely.  It stays zeroed, stays together and has a properly sized reticle for almost any light conditions

-If you really spend a lot of time holding over with the reticle and really prefer a FFP design, Burris Veracity should be on your list.

-If you like FFP, use the reticle for basic ranging, and insist on dialing shots (or if you simply like practicing a bit further out and need proper turrets), get SWFA SS 3-9x42. 

That does not mean there are no other good scope out there.  There are quite a few, but these are the ones I have enough time with to be confident in my recommendations.

If you really need an illuminated reticle on a budget, consider Leupold VX-R.

If you want excellent optics and you are willing to pay name recognition, get Swarovski Z3.

Whichever way you go, make you nephew pay for it.

ILya

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2017 at 15:49

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic