OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tangent Theta 3-15 in hand!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2017 at 15:21
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

ShockedI just looked that scope up. RC didn't skimp on this oneThunbs Up

Actually, I traded in a Premier Heritage 3-15 on it.  It is a great scope (Koshkin used mine for his evaluation of the model a few years back), but:
1. Warranty went away when Premier folded.
2. It has a gen2 mil dot rather than my preferred gen2XR.

So, I traded up, but watch the samplelist for a great Premier 3-15.  It is a fantastic scope, and only out of an overabundance of caution did I go to TT.

But I have very high hopes for the TT.

As I told Skylar, if it is optically equal to the Premier, I'll be ecstatic; if it is superior, so much the more!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2017 at 15:27
Thanks! No, that's a molded-in finish as it came from McMillan. They call that "Coyote Ambush." It is a 4-color pattern of tan, dark earth, coyote brown, and olive drab. The splotching looks a lot like the appearance you can get using the "sponge camo" application technique that's popular right now.

The stock is McM's new "Game Warden" hybrid hunting/tactical design, this one with adjustable cheekpiece.

I like it a lot!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2017 at 09:05
I received a delivery confirmation email from UPS at 1756 yesterday, checked my front door, no package.  I do so love UPS.  They are, forevermore, striving to get the package to a house near mine, and on that - and that alone - they succeed.

I went to my neighbor's house, and there on his front step was my new Tangent Theta.  A not inexpensive package, designated "signature required", sitting on his front porch.

I hate UPS.  And yes, "hate" is a strong word, and here it fits.

First thoughts on the TT will follow shortly.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - June/29/2017 at 09:49
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2017 at 09:25
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

I received a delivery confirmation email from UPS at 1756 yesterday, checked my front door, no package.  I do so love UPS.  They are, forevermore, striving to get the package to a house near mine, and on that - and that alone - they succeed.

I went to my neighbor's house, and there on his front step was my new Tangent Theta.  A not inexpensive package, designed "signature required", sitting on his front porch.

I hate UPS.  And yes, "hate" is a strong word, and here it fits.

First thoughts on the TT will follow shortly.

The soon to be addict takes his first hit.....
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2017 at 10:58
Tag.  I've always believed my March scopes were the pinnacle for me, but this has me curious.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2017 at 11:54
The much maligned - and right so - "bay window review.  The scope is mounted but not yet used as intended, first thoughts:

1.  Glass is quite good.  I haven't played with it in various lighting conditions, but in adequate light, it is very sharp, very clear, very bright.
2.  There an ever-so-slight tunneling from, according to the power scale, 3 to about 3.5.  It is very, very slight, but the tube does become less visible above 3.5. (I hate tunneling, and this is so slight it won't be an issue for me.)
3.  With the ARD on, there is some ghosting around the very edges of the image, it is more pronounced at lower powers.  It isn't terrible, but it is visible at/around 3X.
4.  Clicks are well spaced and quite distinct.  Strangely, there is a slightly different sound in one direction than the other, but it isn't consequential, I just noticed.
5.  Illumination is very good.  I really like that the important portion of the reticle is fully and evenly illuminated.  And the stops between settings are appreciated.
6.  Parallax is easy to adjust, as is power; neither is too stiff or too easy.
7.  The scope weighs less than I expected.  I have grown accustomed to my Vortex gen2 3-18, and this one is rather svelte by comparison.
8.  The included caps are much better than the old Premier caps, there are no gaps as there were.
9.  Grasping surfaces are beautifully milled, nothing grabs, nothing snags.  
10.  All in all, I really like the scope, nothing yet seems to be a problem area or a compromise.

More to follow.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2017 at 16:18
I think you will like it even more once you get to spend some time with it.

As I have previously said: of all the tactical scopes I have seen to date, I think Tangent Theta is at the top of the pyramid.  Spectacular optics and the best turrets I have seen yet.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2017 at 16:34
I'm still a EREK guy, but we'll see.
m1911 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2017 at 18:15
Congrats...
Just curious....did you consider any other scopes, or did you simply want to own a Tangent Theta?

If you DID consider other scopes at time of selection, what were they?

Did you look at a Schmidt & Bender PM-II 4x16x42?

Just curious....nice review!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2017 at 09:48
This was a Tangent Theta purchase, not a "scope" purchase.  I had a Premier Heritage, one of the very first, and loved the scope but hated that it was completely unprotected in terms of warranty and support. (And it has a gen2 mil dot rather than a gen2XR, else the outcome might differ.)

I have owned and/or used most of the top tier stuff, but had no experience with the TT scopes. A few here like them with enthusiasm, and those that do have earned my respect in calling out good tactical riflescopes - so it was an obvious choice.

I needed a new scope, I had a Premier that I loved but hated, and the Tangent Theta's were calling my name.  I didn't look at anything else. And the great folks at SWFA offered a very fiar trade value on the Premier, which helped seal the deal. (And they had exactly the TT in stock that I wanted, that too helps!)

As for S&B PM2, I like them; however, I often have to shoot lefty, and their illumination controls are in the worst possible spot for a lefty shooter.  I love the minimum distance, I hate the location of that damned 4th turret on the left side of the tube.

More to follow, like a proper range report on the TT.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2017 at 15:39
As a refined and redefined descendant of the Premier scopes I can only imagine it really is top of the line. I say imagine 'cause not having as much of a need for one I let a 3-15 Heritage and a 3-15 LT go over the years. Other scopes are adequate and other priorities exist.
Reaction time is a factor...
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2017 at 17:38
Sorry I'm late. 

Beautiful weaponry. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
graywolf.260 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graywolf.260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2017 at 18:21
You mentioned the Hensoldt 3-12x56 as yardstick for this TT scope- what do you think? (I am considering picking up a Hensoldt, so I'm interested in that comparison). 
Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2017 at 19:37
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

.300 Win Mag.

Very nice!  Curious on the barrel length and total weight.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2017 at 07:14
Originally posted by graywolf.260 graywolf.260 wrote:

You mentioned the Hensoldt 3-12x56 as yardstick for this TT scope- what do you think? (I am considering picking up a Hensoldt, so I'm interested in that comparison). 

"Hensoldt is a brand of Airbus Defense & Space, a worldwide leader in global security solutions working to support the people protecting the world. In a world of evolving threats and opportunities, Hensoldt thrives to create innovation, technology advanced optical solutions meeting the needs of its customers worldwide.

A former military contract division of Zeiss Sport Optics, the two entities split paths"

If you can find a Zeiss Hensoldt, you will be OK.  The Airbus stuff I will not own.  I have a 6-24x72 Zeiss Hensoldt and it is an amazing scope.  Every evaluative measure of optics for this scope gets a "Superior".  The mechanicals are excellent, though it is a bit limited on adjustment range (200 cm total, approximately 20 mils).  I solved that with an Ivey adjustable 50mil scope mount.  

Hensoldt has recently broken off from Airbus is now its "own" label.  I have not encountered one of their new products since their separation from Airbus.  I hope they regain the expertise and excellence Hensoldt commanded when a part of Zeiss.  

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2017 at 10:05
Originally posted by Boomholzer Boomholzer wrote:

Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

.300 Win Mag.

Very nice!  Curious on the barrel length and total weight.

Barrel length is 24", Bartlein #3 contour. Total weight is 11lbs, 12 oz.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2017 at 20:27
On vacation, out of pocket for a bit. I will say:
1. I love my Hensoldt, best eye box I have ever used, great turrets, perfect tracking inside about 800 yards.
2. With the questionable service future of the brand, I would not recommend Hensoldt to anyone right now.

They are exceptional scopes, as you would expect of Zeiss.

They were serviced for a bit by Hudisco, that ended, not sure who to call now if there is a problem. Hudisco was not a good service provider.

(I say inside 800 yards because that is as far as this scope - in it's 6 mil base - has gone. I can assume it is perfect to both limits, but don't know that to be true. Inside 800, I know.)

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graywolf.260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2017 at 01:13
Well I took the leap anyway and bought a ZF 3-12x56 FF mildot from a reputable dealer for a pretty good price. Since Hensoldt is back to being independent, I feel more confident in service if ever needed. I don't want to hijack the thread more than I have already so I'll start a new one when the scope comes in to report.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2017 at 04:08

Originally posted by graywolf.260 graywolf.260 wrote:

Well I took the leap anyway and bought a ZF 3-12x56 FF mildot from a reputable dealer for a pretty good price. Since Hensoldt is back to being independent, I feel more confident in service if ever needed. I don't want to hijack the thread more than I have already so I'll start a new one when the scope comes in to report.

Looking forward to your thoughts.  I hope the results are much better than recent "encounters" with Airbus Hensoldt.

SO... are you finished with that review, yet???

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graywolf.260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2017 at 22:43
Just a quick update, the Hensoldt 3-12x56 FF scope came in, and it is labeled on the bottom with Airbus/made in Germany, so it is of that vintage. However a prelim once-over show the scope to appear to be flawless, no issues like the those reported with the 6-24x72. I was also told that the scopes were made in the same factory while Airbus owned the company, and that Hensoldt (independent again) is now handling the warranty for these scopes.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic