OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Custom 223 Bolt Gun

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2017 at 09:59
Money in your pocket is catching fire.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2017 at 10:04
Build it G!💥💥💥
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2017 at 12:25

not really catching fire but.... its warm

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2017 at 12:58
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

My head is spinning on this subject honestly.... I guess I really haven't nailed down the specifics but I do know this, whatever it is will spend the majority of its time in a case under the seat of my truck.  I have built a lockbox under my seat that my AR currently rides in, this will find its home in the truck next to it.  Length and such while is important to some in a "truck gun" doesn't play the same role with me I guess and I am loosing some on that.  I could buy many guns off the shelf to fit but just always thought about a custom action, custom barrel, stock etc and make it just a one off "sasquatch custom" so to speak.  I need to think more on it I guess......

A stiller predator action, carbon wrapped 20" barrel, and nice stock still seems like a killer setup......

but maybe I need to hold off and ensure what I want can be had and I'll be happy with what I spend.

I have no love for carbon barrel at all. But, for what you have in mind I think you would have a winner. My concern would be if the carbon would hold up to seeing the typical abuse of a truck gun. And realize that if you do use it much the case idea (as good as it is) usually falls by the wayside. I think of a truck gun as one I can grab and go. Not have to raise a seat open a box and get it out of a case. But I may not be on the same page.

Salute!

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2017 at 13:36
Bloody hell, are we still talking about this?  Most shooters would have already bought the gun, taken it to the range, shot it a few times, decided they didn't love it, sold it for a loss, and be looking for its replacement already.

Defecate or get off the pot!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2017 at 14:51

Need some help getin that thorn out of your paw???

RC must have missed the discussion in the back. "4/April/2017 Concern"

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2017 at 14:56
I miss nothing: so my wife has never told me.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2017 at 15:47

lol

RC is just telling me to quit p*ssy footin' around and buy something in the nicest way he can..... sometimes that's all that's needed.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2017 at 16:01
Just buy a Ruger American for your .223 truck gun. It will probably shoot very well, and you won't have much invested in it. Then scratch your custom rifle itch with something else you don't plan to leave parked under the seat of your truck.

Win-win!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2017 at 16:09
I LOVE my CZ 527 .223 micro-mauser.  I used to use it (when I had a place to hunt) to sling when I'd check feeders or walk new stand locations.  One night I killed two 200lb boar off-hand. The first one dropped, I shot the second 3 times on the run before he went down.  Really a nice-shooting rifle.  Great wood, and a great match for the 4-16x44 Viper.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2017 at 18:33
Decker are you ready to lose the striker yet?
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2017 at 12:18
You mean the BEAST?!?  No way.  Anyway, it's not a Striker - it's a savage target action.  Trying to figure out a way to take it late-season elk hunting on a shoestring budget.  I'd love to take a bull at 500yds or so with it.  It's filthy.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2017 at 16:43
Originally posted by DCAMM94 DCAMM94 wrote:

You mean the BEAST?!?  No way.  Anyway, it's not a Striker - it's a savage target action.  Trying to figure out a way to take it late-season elk hunting on a shoestring budget.  I'd love to take a bull at 500yds or so with it.  It's filthy.

Deck, how about a pic of the "Beast"?

DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2017 at 10:05
7mm WSM on Savage Dual Port Target Action; PTG Magnum bolt face; Right-hand bold with left-hand extractor.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2017 at 11:26
Very cool! Nice "truck gun!"Big Grin
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2017 at 13:22
Yeah, Ted.  Not quite.  It weighs about 12 lbs.  That's a full bull 19" (17" plus 2" brake) McGowen barrel.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2017 at 13:51
With a suppressor on it, that'd be fun.
And maybe a shoulder stock too.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2017 at 13:54
It's an un-designated action, so it can be whatever I want it to be.  I agree re-compressor.  the brake is nice, but not really necessary with all of the weight.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2017 at 13:55
Oh, and it's fun as-is.  It's almost a religious experience when the concussion from the muzzle brake washes back over you that close!
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2017 at 17:24
Pure sex!!! 👍🥃💥. I do remember when you received the action.

I saw quite a few dual port rifles the two times I worked 1000 yard shoots at the club in PA with Kowa.

That's the first place I ever saw a dual port. The speed that some of those guys shot with was amazing.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic