OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tikka Stock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tikka Stock
    Posted: July/19/2017 at 10:56
Alright.  So I ordered a Mcmillan game scout adjustable for my Tikka CTR.  Turns out the inlet is for the regular T3 and it is to narrow to be widened to fit the CTR bottom metal.  I absolutely love the feel of the stock and the enlarged steep angled pistol grip.  But if I want to keep it I have to use regular T3 bottom metal and get rid of my nice 10 round mag.  Plus it is super light.  Close in weight to the factory plastic stock.  This is a hunting gun, so having 10 rounds is not that critical, but it is nice to have that many.  It is the black marble finish with looks excellent with my stainless action. 

I can get a Manners MCS-EHTA that will fit the CTR and it is very similar in weigh.  But it does not have the enlarged pistol grip.  This one is Manners Swamp camo.

Price they are withing $40 of each other.  But I will have to probably spend close to $200 more to setup the Mcmillan to work since I have to buy new bottom metal and a magazine.  But I can probably sell my CTR stuff and come out pretty even. 

What would some of you guys do?  I just cannot decide. 

Mcmillan 

Manners

Swamp camo

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2017 at 11:00
Also, anyone got the t3 factory bottom metal and a 308 mag they wanna get rid of?
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2017 at 11:06
Wait, mine is a game scout for a T3 and they inlet the thing for $50, I think.  My receipt defines the stock as "Game Scout-T3-Var-31". Mine is also 308.

Did they previously tell you it would inlet for CTR?

Maybe they narrowed the stock in recent versions, but that makes no sense to me.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2017 at 11:12
They did not say it will fit CTR, I did not call.  I just did not read the details close enough  It does say it will fit factory detachable mag, but nothing about CTR.  My mistake there.

I got it yesterday and my CTR metal would not fit, to wide.  I called and talked to a tech and he said stock is to narrow to be inlet for CTR.  He even double checked with someone else. 

Would you mind measuring yours and taking a pic or two?  Then I can compare and see if they are the same.  If I could inlet my for CTR I would be very happy. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2017 at 13:42
Yes, will dig it out of the safe and get a pic of the stock thickness at a few spots along the action.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2017 at 14:13
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Also, anyone got the t3 factory bottom metal and a 308 mag they wanna get rid of?

Maybe we could work out a trade. Will PM.
Reaction time is a factor...
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2017 at 09:17
Well after some back and forth's with Mcmillan and some help from Rancid, they finally told me they would inlet my stock for the CTR.  Just had to talk to the right person.  However he did tell me they don't recommend it as it makes the side of the stock "razor thin". 

So I decided to order the Manners and compare the two.  It is really nice and I actually liked it more than the McMillan.  The Carbon fiber is quite a bit lighter.  The McMillan was close to 3/4 of a lb heavier than their website states.  The Manners weights as it was listed. 

I will say McMillan's CS overall was much easier to deal with, they were responsive and did what they said.  Manners is terrible at call backs even when they told me two different time they would call me.  Never did, I had to call them back.  Then getting the stock shipped was a bit of a challenge as well.  That took 3 phone calls and it still shipped 4 days after the lady told me it was on her desk and would go out that day.  They never did email me the tracking number like I was told.  Had to call and have it read to me over the phone. 

None of those things affect the quality of the stock.  But it does make me prefer to deal with McMillan as far as CS goes in the future.  

Now I just need to get my hunting load worked up and I will be ready for deer and elk season. 

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2017 at 10:33
Which fill did you use for the McMillan?

I have a Gamescout on  my Tikka M695 and I am quite happy with it.  The rifle is definitely no lightweight, but I did not intend it to be.

I friend of mine has a similar Manners on his FN and I have got to admit that both stocks are very comfortable.  I slightly prefer the McMillan, but I would not be disappointed with either.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2017 at 11:02
Glad you got it sorted out.  I wish they had told me the "thin walls" part when we were having this conversation awhile back.  I have my CTR in a Gamescout and am happy with it, no issues. Yet.

On CS with Manners, it comes and goes with all companies.  I have Tom's cell, that helps, but even he can't square things away sometimes.

In general, I like the feel of McMillan over Manners, but I really like Manners' chassis, for those guns that don't have BM included - as the CTR's do.

There was a time when a Manners stock was a scream'in great deal, that time has passed.

Let us know how she shoots.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2017 at 13:19
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

ILya

I am not sure on that.  I just ordered a ready to ship stock off their site.  It says Ultralight edge tech weights 2.5-2.75 lbs.  Mine was 3.35 lbs, so a lot over their listing.

I really liked it and would have kept it if mine wasn't a CTR.  Honestly I was tempted to keep it to and buy another Tikka T3 to put in it.  lol  Saved it for one of my boys.   

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2017 at 19:22
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

ILya

I am not sure on that.  I just ordered a ready to ship stock off their site.  It says Ultralight edge tech weights 2.5-2.75 lbs.  Mine was 3.35 lbs, so a lot over their listing.

I really liked it and would have kept it if mine wasn't a CTR.  Honestly I was tempted to keep it to and buy another Tikka T3 to put in it.  lol  Saved it for one of my boys.   

It is probably the standard fill, then, not the edge fill.  Mine also has the standard fill and it is not the lightest thing either.  It is comfortable though.

ILya
Whale View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2017 at 10:29
I have been following this post because I am also interested in changing the stock of my Tikka T3 in 8mm mauser. I was looking at the hunting stocks with standard fill in the mcwoody finish.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2017 at 11:40

It is probably the standard fill, then, not the edge fill.  Mine also has the standard fill and it is not the lightest thing either.  It is comfortable though.

ILya

The description on the site says it is the ultra light.  https://mcmillanusa.com/product/adjustable-game-scout-t3-ctr/  Maybe they sent me a standard even thought it says otherwise.  Or maybe they are just not accurate on their site, or maybe ultra light it not edge fill.  Hard to say.   

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2017 at 11:44
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

I have been following this post because I am also interested in changing the stock of my Tikka T3 in 8mm mauser. I was looking at the hunting stocks with standard fill in the mcwoody finish.

Probably a custom order as I don't see any Tikka stocks on their site in that finish.  That is a neat looking finish though.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2017 at 00:43
Mcmillan game scout adjustable for Tikka.   Dam my 300WSM Tikka is sitting in the safe crying for one of those.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Whale View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2017 at 17:23
Calling McMillan first thing Monday morning. Will be ordering a new stock for my Tikka T3.
Whale View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2017 at 10:44
Stock was purchased.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2017 at 11:12
Are they having to make it for you?  If so did they give you an ETA?  Just curious how long it takes them.

Whale View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2017 at 11:19
They didn't have one in stock. They will have to make me one. ETA about three months. I talked to my gunsmith who claims that he is a first tier buyer/seller of McMillan stocks. He will contact them on my behalf. Maybe it will speed up the delivery time. I did order it in the mcwoody finish.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2017 at 13:28
"McWoody": best name ever!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic