OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

45-70 or 450 marlin...Winchester 94 takedown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 45-70 or 450 marlin...Winchester 94 takedown
    Posted: July/23/2017 at 22:10
Which one and why? 45-70 more practical but something on 450 sounds unique and a bit different. Purpose would be for...well just to have just in case it might be needed :)

Have no recoil issues with 45-70.
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2017 at 22:23
My cousin has a lever action in 450 marlin and all he talks about is how hard it is to find ammo and the cost when he finds it.  45-70 is well known and probably easier to get.  They have very similar ballistics so it comes down to personal preference and availability. 
Stamp collecting since 2015
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2017 at 22:43
Sorry title was a bit vague...450 would be in model 94....45-70 could be open to other brands. I do reload as well
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2017 at 04:03
I looked at 450 Marlin a while back... went with a Henry 45-70.  Ammo availability and history were my reasons.  Great round, great gun.  I'm thinking it is going to be my primary deer rifle this season.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2017 at 04:56
Another vote for the Henry!
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2017 at 08:08
I have a few Henry rifles and a couple marlins. Not impressed with marlin quality... or bad but similar to a savage. Henrys I have are nice but for 45-70 I kind of wanted the kings gate. Don't have any Winchester lever guns and have never had a 450...so arrived at that conclusion.

I think 45/70 would be the smarter round to go with...maybe I'll find a Winchester for that one and call it good. Haven't found much the 450 brings to the table that the 45-70 can't.
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2017 at 10:13
Cheap deals on Marlin .45/70s these days. .444 Marlin is more interesting, IMHO. 
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2017 at 14:25
450 Marlin is in my opinion for those who wanted a hot-rodded 45-70 round but didn't reload.  Availability where I am for 45-70 far exceeds 450. Today it's not hard to find hot rounds for 45-70 from ammo suppliers such as Buffalo Bore or Garrett as long as you have newer rifles capable of handling the higher pressures.
God save the Empire!
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2017 at 14:29
I'd like it in a Ruger #1, 45-70 that is.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2017 at 15:37
Hmm I guess 450 marlin doesn't make straight walled cartridge list anyways for new deer hunting laws. So now it is down to 45-70 or the 444 as someone mentioned.
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2017 at 21:52
Originally posted by JLud JLud wrote:

Hmm I guess 450 marlin doesn't make straight walled cartridge list anyways for new deer hunting laws. So now it is down to 45-70 or the 444 as someone mentioned.

I find it crazy and archaic to disallow a modern cartridge like 450 Marlin based on case geometry.  In Texas we don't have those kind of rules and I forget to think about them. 

Based on that alone 45-70 all the way. 
Stamp collecting since 2015
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2017 at 23:03
Very few 444s to be found...and 45-70 is plentiful plus as mentioned the Marlin rebate. Can find a cowboy version for 650 delivered plus 100 back....think I might even go 26" and wait for it.....scope it
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2017 at 08:39
I would consider a Henry rifle. Marlins of today a really lacking. They have not quite figured things out yet since they moved the company and had no design to really go from for old marlin. Do a little googling on the subject of marlins.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2017 at 15:00
The .45-70 was around long before the Marlin .450 was created.
It will probably still be around long after the Marlin .450 is dead and buried.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2017 at 16:26
When I got my 45-70 (probably 10 years ago) I really debated between the 450 and 45-70.  But everyone I talked to said go 45-70 for the fact that it is always available and will always be available.  Its nearly as common and .308 and 30-06 when it comes to getting ammo for it. 

If you hand load, you can close the gap to a pretty insignificant amount. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2017 at 16:26
The 450 is belted too.  They are a bit a harder to reload for as resizing that belt is a bit tricky at times. 

Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2017 at 16:46

Have no experience with the 45-70 but had to chime in on the 444. It is not for the recoil hater. In the Marlin it is gonna punch the buggers out of ya. I suspect the 45-70 would do the same. I like my 444 cause I reload and it is impressive to me to be able to actually get a consistent group at 300yds with what is basically a pistol bullet. I load it with Hornady 240 gr HP to 2150fps. Don't know how it is to get factory ammo for a 444 but have had no issues getting brass and it does last a looong time. I am confident that either will handle whatever you point it at. I do have to concede that the newer model Marlins appear to have lost some quality. Mine is a late 60's early 70's model and pretty solid. I do suggest staying away from the new Winchesters. What a gunsmith nightmare. Rough stamped light duty junk parts that can't possibly last. Very disappointing to say the least. And the Henry's, haven't worked on one in yrs. That may speak for its self. The ones I have worked on were well built but you will pay the difference $$$.

Good luck! look forward to knowing what you do........

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2017 at 16:59
I ordered the Marlin 1895 Cowboy. Had some JM rifles that were ok but not great and some more recent 336s that were ok at best. Have read things improving quite a bit lately and especially for the Cowboy version. At 685 delivered plus 100 rebate off of that its worth a try I guess.

Expecting about savage quality in it....hope it shoots like one too and I pray the trigger is better than my 30-30s. Might grab a Winchester 94 in 357 as well so I can compare that one as well. If Henry had a side load I would have went that route.

I do handload and looking at numbers I couldn't make any argument to get a 450 even though I tried.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2017 at 17:09
The tube load was my biggest complaint against the Henry too.  But after using them a lot more now, they are not much slower.  But a bit more awkward, but a little practice and they work well.   I have a Marlin 357 and 45-70 and love them both.  But going forward it will be Henry for me.  They are a better gun in every regard. 

45-70 is a very fun caliber.  Enjoy.  Excellent 

I really like the 325 FTX hornady bullets.  They turn it into a 250 yard gun.  My POI went up 8 inches at 100 yards vs a 300 grain flat nose.  That is all I shoot now. 

JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2017 at 18:21
Going to add a Winchester 94 in 38-55 I think as well for hell of it. All the money I saved on 45-70 😉
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic