OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Accuracy went way down after free floating an AR
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Accuracy went way down after free floating an AR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thefieldster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Accuracy went way down after free floating an AR
    Posted: July/29/2017 at 16:38
Was wondering if there is anything I could try or what to check. I bought a ruger ar556 and it shot sub moa out of the box with 5 shot groups. Stellar accuracy. Now after putting on a 15 inch rail, low pro gas block, and a 250.00 Elftmann trigger my accuracy has gone way down. I'm sure I torqued everything to spec. Any ideas what might be the problem?
Thefieldster1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thefieldster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2017 at 16:41
I have a Nikon prostaff 4-12x40 (2010) in a skelatonized Warne mount all torqued to correct poundage. The scope is good it's been on many a rifle and works great.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2017 at 17:28
First things first, how many rounds did you fire through it to declare it a sub MOA gun before changing out the parts? IOW, are you absolutely certain that sub MOA was true representative precision? A couple sub MOA groups don't necessarily define it as a sub MOA gun; it has to do that more often than not. Is it possible that the rifle aggs the same now as before, except you got lucky with a couple exceptional groups before?

Secondly, have you tried a variety of loads in the rifle? The free float hand guard and the lo pro gas block both changed the resonant frequency of your barrel. Rifle barrels are like large tuning forks in that minor changes in where and how pressure and weight is applied to the barrel as well as minor changes to length alters its resonant frequency and can make major changes to group size with a given load because the bullet exits the muzzle at a different point in the barrel oscillations. Sometimes a shift in barrel pressure and weight makes a given load shoot better, sometimes worse. This is the principle by which adjustable barrel tuners work. Your rifle may shoot just as well as before except prefer a different load to achieve best precision. Also, is your gas block a segmented, 2 part style or a set screw style with the set screw applying point pressure to the barrel? What style gas block did you have before? Some barrels don't like direct set screw pressure applied.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2017 at 21:15
Same or different ammo?

Who put the gas block on?
Who swapped the rail?
How many initial rounds - declaring it sub-MOA?
How many rounds since?

Same bolt and barrel, it sounds like a torque issue. Or ammo. Or you got lucky initially or unlucky later.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2017 at 22:15
Did you remove the barrel nut to change the handguard?

ILya
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2017 at 13:13
Maybe we should start using MTO, (More Than Once), instead of MOA. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
hatton mann View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hatton mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2017 at 12:47
Behold,,,a perfectly good rifel !

Now,,,I shall fix it,,,,,,,,Wink
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2017 at 17:07
Get things figured out Thefieldster1?
HKtoTikka View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HKtoTikka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2017 at 19:56
I think you guys ran him off!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic