OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

M&P Shield 9MM Trigger Upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M&P Shield 9MM Trigger Upgrade
    Posted: August/15/2017 at 20:56
Anyone upgraded the factory trigger in a Shield 9mm?  Guy I go to church with purchased one and the trigger is terrible.... I've never messed with one and don't know what option to recommend..... Apex seems to be the only game in town on the Shields...... what kit yall recommend?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2017 at 22:01
I only know if Apex and about a third of them render the gun unreliable from what I have seen.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2017 at 05:43
I have two M&P Shields and have never had a need for a different trigger??? Is there something wrong that I'm missing?
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2017 at 07:17
Since you bought two S&W semi-autos... Probably   
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2017 at 08:45
As Koshkin stated, Apex is the primary kit that is available.  They have an enhanced trigger and duty/carry kit that reduces trigger pull by 2lbs according to their website, as well as reducing take up and over travel.

https://www.apextactical.com/blog/index.php/apex-news/upgrade-your-mp-shield-with-apex-trigger-kits/

I've used their Forward Set Seer on a S&W M&P Compact and full size with very good results.  I'm not a fan of striker fired pistols, but Apex aftermarket kits definitely are an improvement over S&W stock M&P triggers.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2017 at 09:01
he claims that the trigger is very hard to pull, I just received it yesterday and it its about 9#s on the pull gauge before break..... I think it can be improved.... just don't know what kits/parts need to be used.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2017 at 10:34
My experience with a M&P 9 Pro with an Apex trigger and sear kit installed. It had a good feel with a light crisp trigger for a striker fired pistol, with a short take up and reset. In the middle of a match the trigger froze up and would not work. I replaces all the Apex parts with the original parts. The pistol functioned, but had a horrible trigger. It was heavy, with a long take up and reset. Watched the Apex videos about installing the sear kit and the Apex trigger. Learned there is a wire in the Apex trigger that has to be bent to the proper width to get the trigger to function properly. This is done with feeler gauges and trial and error to get it to function. Since the trigger failed once I figured it could fail again, so I re-installed the sear kit with the original trigger. The trigger went back to a light crisp pull, but it has a long take up and long lash after it breaks.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2017 at 11:35
Sounds like luck of the draw. I suggest complaining to S&W before buying anything. If it is a usual problem they are in the habit of fixing, they are very easy to deal with on repairs.

Actually, just ditch and and get a PPS. They're cheap and awesome.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2017 at 11:42
The trigger in my Shield in 9mm improved with time. But mine was fine to begin with. But even better now.  I am not sure what the weight was since I don't have a gauge.

BTW S&W does make a PC version of the Shield which has a nicer trigger, better sights and the barrel is ported. Not a fan of ported barrels for a SD gun though. But I have heard the flash is not bad.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2017 at 13:51

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I expected something like that from you

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2017 at 19:04
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Them's fightin' words…

(I was going to give Yosemite two M&P Shields with pearl handles, but I don't have photoshop and couldn't get it done in Paint)

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2017 at 21:16

Them's fightin' words…

(I was going to give Yosemite two M&P Shields with pearl handles, but I don't have photoshop and couldn't get it done in Paint)

I like the bunny's chances, then...

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic