OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > The Sports Channel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mayweather vs McGregor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mayweather vs McGregor
    Posted: August/23/2017 at 12:40
I'm "in"... Mayweather...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2017 at 17:35
I hope McGregor crushes him like a grape!
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2017 at 18:27
Mayweather. I don't recognize brawling as a sport.
Doug
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2017 at 19:56
It's boxing... Mayweather... though I'd love to see the Irishman crush him.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2017 at 11:42
two more days to find out....
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2017 at 11:59
McGregor always has a puncher's chance, but if I were a betting man, I would bet on Mayweather.

That having been said, and this being boxing, it would not terribly surprise me if the match was fixed to give McGregor a win with all the promoters betting heavily on him against the odds.

As much as I enjoy boxing, my faith in honesty of the boxing organizations has been a bit on the low side since the 90s.

ILya
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2017 at 14:29
I was hoping for McGreggor but think Mayweather will beat him in a straight up boxing match.  The local bar was going to play it but Harvey got in the way. 
Stamp collecting since 2015
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2017 at 17:07
Something like 9/10 bets are for McGregor. If the boxer gives him too much time he might sneak one in. This is really just a moneymaker bout, though. Is Mayweather taking it seriously?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2017 at 18:17
Originally posted by urbaneruralite urbaneruralite wrote:

Something like 9/10 bets are for McGregor. If the boxer gives him too much time he might sneak one in. This is really just a moneymaker bout, though. Is Mayweather taking it seriously?

He is.  One of the reasons he has done as well as he has is that he takes every fight seriously.

Ignore his public persona.  It is a character he plays.  He is a very intelligent boxer and a consummate professional in how he prepares for fights.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2017 at 19:09
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Originally posted by urbaneruralite urbaneruralite wrote:

He is.  One of the reasons he has done as well as he has is that he takes every fight seriously.

Ignore his public persona.  It is a character he plays.  He is a very intelligent boxer and a consummate professional in how he prepares for fights.

ILya

FUlly agree.  I"ve met Mayweather, and his father and uncle, in Vegas and in Kalifornia.  I like his father and uncle, didn't care much for him (but understand most is "showmanship").  He is a pure professional in the ring and knows more about boxing than almost anyone alive.  Just comparing skills, Mayweather can only lose if he makes the worst mistake of his life (I don't believe this one) or if it is "fixed".  I don't much trust "boxing" anymore, either.  
I pray it is an honest fight… a good fight… Mayweather may surprise everyone.  

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2017 at 23:58
What a fight… Floyd "Money" Mayweather fought like he did when he was young.  It was GREAT.  Best fight I've seen in MANY a day…
Thank you Floyd Mayweather, you are an inspiration.  I will fight again...

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2017 at 04:54
He is still a POS woman beater!

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2017 at 10:21
Originally posted by Peddler Peddler wrote:

He is still a POS woman beater!

Mayweather has had some real problems with "domestic violence".  No justification for hitting a female for almost any reason.  He is a repeat offender by all accounts.  I don't know… either the media suppressed much of the information(fairly common for someone they deem "OK") or there was not as much to the stories as some would like to put forward.  Once again, no excuse for his serial abuse… I don't know the full story, nor does anyone, it seems.  I've tracked those escapades for year and information is sketchy, at best.
I believe he has hit some women.  As a person, I've never liked him, anyway.

But that takes nothing away from his boxing skills.  It was still a great fight and perhaps the defining fight of Mayweather's career.  A great way to retire.  I hope he finds God and peace…   I pray for him, though I don't like him.

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2017 at 14:56
I didn't watch it because Mayweather is a violent mysogynist.  I say this with confidence.  He has not just been accused some 20 plus times of domestic violence, but he has plead guilty twice, and been jury-convicted once.  Many more cases were settled "by agreement."  The reality that he has been convicted criminally at all is eye-opening given his near-limitless resources to settle with victims.

He doesn't hide how he feels about women really.  He made a promotional video where he says:

"When it comes to females … even though you can’t drive 10 cars at one time, but … you got people that got 10 cars. So, you’re able to keep maintenance up on 10 cars. So, I feel that, as far as when it comes to females, that same thing should apply. If you’re able to take care of 20, then you should have 20."

HE said that in his own promotional video.

Women are not cars, clothes, or any other property.  They are human beings.

Mayweather doesn't get any of my money.

-Matt
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2017 at 15:46
👍 Amen! Well said Matt.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2017 at 06:52

I'm happy to pay to see him fight.  If you are not a fight fan, it doesn't matter.  If you are a fight fan, a true fight fan, you deprive only yourself... the small number of people who ensured "he doesn't get any of my money" had zero impact on his payout. 

It was a great fight.  One of the very few boxing matches worth watching in the last few years.  McGregor showed that he, or any other fighter, can change his ways and become proficient in new martial endeavors (which many have said cannot be done, regardless of the evidence).  Mayweather showed the art of "the sweet science".  He executed a masterful plan, masterfully. 

There are many piss poor examples of humanity littering professional sports... Mayweather is no worse than most common variety pro football, basketball, hockey, etc, etc, etc players.  Doesn't justify what Mayweather has done personally, but there are a lot of sports people are going to have to give up to make sure no abusers get their money.  Yes, I did pay extra for the privilege of seeing the fight live... I could have waited until it was rebroadcast, but I love a good fight. 

I always hope the best in people will come out, that great moments will make them rise above their baseness and become "all they can be".  I've seen it happen, so I know it CAN happen. 

"They can be a great people... they wish to be... they only lack the light to show them the way".

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2017 at 13:00
I will refrain from commenting on Mayweather as a person, since that one is fairly obvious.

As far as the fight goes, I am not sure Dan and I were watching the same fight.

I did not pay for pay-per-view and now that I have seen the fight, I am glad I did not.  It was even worse than I expected it to be.

All it showed was that in a span of several months a world class professional MMA fighter can easily become a mediocre amateur boxer.

Mayweather controlled the entirety of the fight and the only effective things that McGregor was able to come up with were rabbit punches and a low blow in the later rounds.

Mayweather spent the first round on figuring out distance and timing, then hit McGregor in the body a few times in the next couple of rounds to wear him out a little.  At that point, he was reasonably confident that there isn't a damn thing McGregor can do to him, so he applied pressure until McGregor was adequately tired and then took him out in the safest possible manner.

It was a very intelligent way to conduct a fight from a Mayweather standpoint: low risk and high reward.

McGregor had no business being in the same boxing ring with him.  

Honestly, this looked kinda like a few times I sparred with pretty high level boxers (I am a relatively decent muay thai practitioner, but a very mediocre boxer).  Under boxing rules, once they figure out the distance and timing, the only chance I have is if they do something careless.  It is still a chance, but it is a puncher's chance only.

The only thing I am happy about is that McGregor did not get into the ring with someone like Golovkin.  That could cause some permanent damage.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2017 at 19:07
Mayweather had issues solving the unorthodox style of McGregor for the 1st 3 rounds.  McGregor tagged him a few times, nothing too serious, but he did knock him off balance once in the third. Mayweather began to assert himself in the fourth round, but did not truly dominate until McGregor began to tire in the 6th and 7th.  McGregor got a bit of a "burst" in the 7th and that round was a toss up.  Mayweather turned on the pressure in the 8th and began to make McGregor pay for every mistake… and there were plenty.  I believe the stoppage in the 10th was justifiable, but not certain I would have stopped it at that point.  I probably, relooking at the tape, would have given McGregor another few seconds to get off the ropes.. or not.  

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2017 at 19:16
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Mayweather had issues solving the unorthodox style of McGregor for the 1st 3 rounds.  McGregor tagged him a few times, nothing too serious, but he did knock him off balance once in the third. Mayweather began to assert himself in the fourth round, but did not truly dominate until McGregor began to tire in the 6th and 7th.  McGregor got a bit of a "burst" in the 7th and that round was a toss up.  Mayweather turned on the pressure in the 8th and began to make McGregor pay for every mistake… and there were plenty.  I believe the stoppage in the 10th was justifiable, but not certain I would have stopped it at that point.  I probably, relooking at the tape, would have given McGregor another few seconds to get off the ropes.. or not.  

Other than the stoppage being justifiable, I disagree with every word here.

ILya

Edited by koshkin - August/28/2017 at 22:18
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2017 at 20:08
Fortunately, I don't have to depend on you for fight analysis...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic